02. This Day I Die
03. The Atrocity
04. Blademaster
05. Carnage On the Walls of Delnoch
06. Stranger
07. Gellens Lment
08. Behold the Runesword
09. The Last Scion

Formed 10 years ago in 1998 und the moniker "The Clan Of Steel" and being in the current line-up since 2003, Lost Legion released a demo titled ?Legends Of The Drenai" back in 2006. Now on the 1st of November their debut "Glory Or Death" finally saw the light of day.

Musically they don't sport anything new, but they do deliver their sound with the fullest conviction. I'd say they seem like a mix of heavy metal like Manowar, power metal like Blind Guardian and touches of doom metal à la Doomsword and NWOBHM in the vein of Judas Priest, the early material of the German band Wizard also comes to mind as a reference. This hodgepodge of sound is conveyed to the listener with a lot of passion and a stroke of epicness. Most of the songs are in the slower-midtempo range, but there are also a few slower and some fast parts on this album.

The vocals are the most important part of Lost Legion's sound to me. Although I think that their singer's performance could have been better, he doesn't quite hit every single tone, he does a great job at bringing a lot of variation into it. As for the guitars, the two guitarists do a great job on setting a different kind of mood on the different songs and also have a couple of very good solos on this CD. Yet unfortunately they are brought down by the production very much. I really hope that they can get a much stronger and more powerful sound on their next output because they probably would have sounded much better with more energy behind them.

Apart from the production there's also another thing on this album that bothers me, the long tracks. It features two tracks over 8 minutes and one over 9 minutes which could just as well have been 4-5 minutes in my opinion. I believe they should either stick to the shorter tracks, which are generally the ones I like much more, or they should bring more variation into the longer songs. As it is they just seem to drag on and on. Further I think the songs could have done with some additional catchiness.

As it is Lost Legion produced a good debut album which should be able to please all fans of slow oldschool heavy metal, yet I think they can still do better.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 5
Production: 5

Written by Bas | 14.12.2008

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 25 users
16.12.2008 - 06:37
rohgue123

The production is pretty weak, I agree. It sounds very thin and with no balls.
----
God has a hard-on for me.

Hits total: 4195 | This month: 5