Metal Storm logo
What can change the nature of a man?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 05.07.2006 - 11:22
Ok... so this is a question I've first heard in the game Planescape Torment, and it's been on my mind since... I really think that the only thing that could change the nature of a man is man himself, if he wishes to... what do you think?
03.10.2008 - 12:48
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
one word: Environment.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
04.10.2008 - 02:33
Hrothdane
Man has no nature. He starts out as nothing and becomes whatever he makes of himself.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
05.10.2008 - 01:27
nana.MD
Star-Queen
hmm...love, fear, pain, loneliness...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
05.10.2008 - 11:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nana.MD on 05.10.2008 at 01:27

Yes all those can but whit out love . love can kill nature of man
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.10.2008 - 12:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i think the only thing that can change a man is the surroundings, important events that take place around you and how you react to it. like look at the movie Cast Away, how can anyone feel at home in a normal society after going through all that is beyond me.
05.10.2008 - 12:48
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by Bad English on 05.10.2008 at 11:18

Yes.. well said. I have the same opinion than you. I think love AND hate are strong feelings.. maybe too strong if not dealt wisely.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
05.10.2008 - 12:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dark Blood on 05.10.2008 at 12:48

Yes.. well said. I have the same opinion than you. I think love AND hate are strong feelings.. maybe too strong if not dealt wisely.

Love and hate can make kill man, love criate jeluasy who can make kill, nothing more how love, love is a killer

BTW family what is familu, mother, father, grandparents, sister, brother but wife or GF never be family, child yes but not wife, she belongs to ''others''
----

apos;'
[image]
06.10.2008 - 06:08
nana.MD
Star-Queen

...yeah it's true but actually when i wrote love i was really thinking about it as a negative thing...maybe it can be great and stuff like that but i think it can easily turn into a bad situation...

...i was talking with a friend while reading this post and asked his opinion, he answered a woman
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
07.10.2008 - 04:39
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by Guest on 06.10.2008 at 17:03

Is anything really being said in this thread? Name one thing that can't change the way you are now. (Nothing) I changed you just by typing this and having you read it. Everything in your life changes you. Every piece of entertainment from books to movies is about change and those change you too. This question is useless and it infuriates me!!!! BLaarGGH!!!

LOL
Good point there.. Your statment made me remind of the Butterfly Effect. Everything you do has an influence in your life sooner or later. But the question is: What can change the NATURE of a man? and from what I understand of it, Nature refers to ways of thinking, beliefs and maybe actions. These things can't be changed so easily I guess. At least beliefs and way of thinking.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
14.10.2008 - 18:14
Deadgirl
Written by Guest on 07.10.2008 at 10:54

All those things are a result of experiencing change in our lives. We're not born with beliefs. I'm inclined to think this is a more scientific question about what can change our biological coding. It's in our nature to have desires. Could we get rid of that via physically eliminating certain lines of DNA?

I think all we get when we try to do things like that are crazy, useless mutations. ;P

The question of what can change man's nature can't be asked without defining man's nature and deciding to what we want to apply it. According to Miss Manners (Judith Martin. I love her books ^_^), etiquette changes man's nature. And if you think about it, that also makes sense. Man wants to act one way, but if he chooses to be polite then he will stifle that natural urge and do something else.
So maybe it can be argued that society changes man's nature. Being part of a society means having a reputation to maintain by being polite, at least to a certain degree. Being polite typically means doing the exact opposite of what our natural reaction would be.

I'm not saying that's the only answer I'd think about. Just that it's an interesting way to look at it.
----
Remember that you are mortal.
14.10.2008 - 23:48
Deadgirl
Written by Guest on 14.10.2008 at 23:05

Written by Deadgirl on 14.10.2008 at 18:14

I'm not saying that's the only answer I'd think about. Just that it's an interesting way to look at it.

That's my problem with this question, it's too broad. There's no focal point. Anything and everything can change one's nature, but only certain things can change a specific part of one's nature. As you said, etiquette training can alter one's natural response to a taunt or some other offense, whereas no amount of etiquette can keep one from having desires; an entirely different approach is required.

I guess the question isn't completely useless if it's sparking conversation.

That's true, but I wouldn't really say it's an answer. I don't believe anything can keep one from having desires. That's why it's important to define man's nature. Is it man's nature to have the desires or is it man's nature to act a certain way in response to them. If the former, then it's fair to argue that nothing can. If the latter, then something as simple as proper etiquette training could alter man's nature in almost any area.
Either way, it's fun discussion, so I approve.
----
15.10.2008 - 07:27
Deadgirl
Written by Guest on 15.10.2008 at 00:52

Written by Deadgirl on 14.10.2008 at 23:48

That's true, but I wouldn't really say it's an answer. I don't believe anything can keep one from having desires. That's why it's important to define man's nature. Is it man's nature to have the desires or is it man's nature to act a certain way in response to them. If the former, then it's fair to argue that nothing can. If the latter, then something as simple as proper etiquette training could alter man's nature in almost any area.
Either way, it's fun discussion, so I approve.

Ok, now it's gettin' fun. I can't complain about the question anymore since we've picked out some specifics.

In response to your "which is man's nature" question, I would say both. Everyone experiences desire, but not everyone will react to it the same way. There's wide scale human nature - a set of basics that everyone is subject to - and then there's individual nature. Based on a person's accumulated experiences there's definitely going to be an individual specific response to new experiences and the desires involved, because that person's life is unique and only available to him/her (or "it"). So yes, I totally agree with your outlook on etiquette; individual nature could be turned completely around by it's introduction, but the same could be said for any other experience.

As for human nature as a whole......I think you absolutely can change it, but once you do it ceases to be human nature. We need desires for our individual nature to even exist, or else we wouldn't respond to anything at all. Desire is our driving force. A person without desire would either die or continue to live via another person's control just as a hammer is nothing until it's put to use by something else. That's about the only thing you can do with desire though. It's either there or it isn't. If isn't blame a mad scientist, cause he's been cuttin' on your brain, heh.

As for etiquette, I think it becomes a question of whether it changes or stifles human nature. But of course people will act differently. Overall, for the most basic of situations, I think there certainly must be a bit of a trend among all humans, though. I think this must be the same way in which we all make similar faces to show the most basic of emotions.

If changing human nature causes it to become inhuman nature, then have you really changed human nature? Or have you just switched to a different kind of nature? And beside all that, there are a million other ways to define one's individual nature as both malleable and unchageable. So then the real answer to the question would be something to the effect of "Yes and no, and let's have fun talking about it." And that makes this both a good question and a good question. ^_^
----
15.10.2008 - 09:31
Deadgirl
Written by Guest on 15.10.2008 at 08:21

"If changing human nature causes it to become inhuman nature, then have you really changed human nature?"

Well....yeah. That's what change is. A shift from one thing to another thing. Whether it be from human nature to inhuman nature, or from past individual nature to present individual nature, that's a change in one's natural state. I'm pretty sure the answer is a solid "Yes". But please go on. This is good.

I think of a change as something having been altered, but if your human nature becomes something inhuman, then to me it's less an alteration than a complete override, which seems like it should be categorized as something other than change. Or that such an instance would still be categorized as a human behaving unnaturally, in which case human nature hasn't changed at all; only the human in question has changed.
----
15.10.2008 - 15:50
Deadgirl
Written by Guest on 15.10.2008 at 12:33

An override is still change and two things can't be different but still the same, at most they can have 99.9% common ground. The word "alteration" is word of convenience to our language. The concept of changing something in a specific way, like neutering a pet, without destroying the previous identity exists because communication would be impossible if we had to give every molecule in the universe a different name just because of its placement.

You wouldn't say you're the same person now as you were ten years ago. 9 year old Metaloli has a different identity than 19 year old Metaloli (an example of change in individual nature). So I would still classify loss of an essential ingredient or the introduction of an additional one to the human recipe a full on change in human nature, even if it only happened to one person.

And if you still want that alteration, think of it like this: Human nature has 6,000,000,000 people under its rule. Suddenly 1 drops out. Now human nature consists of 5,999,999,999. Human nature is still the same, right? The recipe hasn't changed, just fewer people are using it. It's been neutered.

Sorry if I sound like a know-it-all, I'm just taking a direct approach to the conversation rather than weighing down my argument with "maybe I'm wrong, but...". I can speak clearer that way. I won't resist admitting any mistakes I've made if you point them out and I see them as clearly wrong.

Well then forgive me for pointing out that you do, in fact, sound like a know-it-all. ;P
(Kidding. lol)

And that's actually right -- I don't think human nature changes so drastically. Humans may just behave inhumanly. That person's nature is no longer human, but the idea of human nature hasn't necessarily changed. But "human nature" is not equal to "individual nature." I think those are two entirely different concepts.

And actually, as 19-year-old Metaloli is often a very child-like individual, I still have a very similar identity to that of 9-year-old Metaloli. So I don't think necessarily that individual nature ever really must change.
When it does, I wonder how well it can ever really work. I've tried changing my individual nature before, and it has worked on the surface only; I felt extremely uncomfortable making a drastic change in my general behavior, and it didn't really matter how loud I made my voice or how many people I got shoved into awkward conversations with -- In the end, shy Metaloli was still shy Metaloli on the inside. Things quickly went back to the way they had been.
But that's another instance of individual nature, I suppose. It may be that the very nature of some people permits them to change.

To be serious this time, I don't really care if you sound like a know-it-all/smart ass/wise guy/whatever else. I actually don't really have a strong opinion on the subject. ^_^
----
28.10.2008 - 14:39
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Love, hate I think revenge can change a man entirly
30.10.2008 - 01:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Powerslavex on 28.10.2008 at 14:39

Love, hate I think revenge can change a man entirly

all thinks can kill man, not change, only strongest only stronges can be changed but weekest be killed(not literaly)
----

apos;'
[image]
27.08.2009 - 03:33
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Quote:
...i was talking with a friend while reading this post and asked his opinion, he answered a woman

your friend knows whats up I agree with him, as well as War, and Jail, they all suck (well war not so much)
10.04.2010 - 01:06
Candlemass
Defaeco
...sounds like the old, nature vs nurture debate.
Never mind the definition of 'nature of man'...

I guess certain aspects of natuers of man can be changed with self-help psychology,
it's probably the best try there is.
28.07.2011 - 02:03
ToMegaTherion
I have often wondered this, and with a bit of thought it is quite clear that there are only two ways...
Evolution - changing the way our brains are wired in nature...
Disaster - Forcing our brain to adapt to different conditions and environments.
21.09.2011 - 00:04
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
I womens love i guess......behind every great man there is a great women
21.09.2011 - 00:57
Roro
Simply : money and emotions
27.09.2011 - 23:46
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Hrothdane on 04.10.2008 at 02:33

Man has no nature. He starts out as nothing and becomes whatever he makes of himself.

Personally I think that all of us are born with a certain 'nature' and that in fact does impact our personalities. However what makes our nature comes largely from the environment we were raised in to begin with.

As for what changes that nature imo that's experience and environmental change. Some incredibly loving, accepting people out there end up corrupted and bitter/hateful just because they end up thrown in the wrong set of circumstances. By the same rational some bitter people end up a little more forgiving to the world when thrown in those same circumstances because they somehow are able to see through the negativity and are able to take what precious good they can from it. The fact that this change is allowed to occur in the first place also comes from someone's baser nature to begin with. But yeah I think largely it's environment and circumstance.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
28.09.2011 - 00:34
ANGEL REAPER
What can change a nature of a man?
well nothing really.Since the dawn of man we humans are known for two things
1.our blood thirst (the nature of a man is to exterminate another man,in means of genetic evolution and prosperity of one individual's genetic offspring )
2.our natural ability to understand the world in which we live,and to change it in order to make it comfortable place for our self .
I will speculate now,but i think that theoretically only one thing could change the human race and the nature of man: a catastrophe of biblical proportions that would sweep away the majority of human race(best would be that the genetically and intellectual elite survives ) ,and in the same preserving the all knowledge of man at that point.That would eventually give the survivors the genetic and intellectual new beginning and probably change the nature of man trough different conditions for further evolution.Now this is only an loose speculation and it have many flaws ,but in theory quite
good way to change the nature of a man. Also some people may find it quite unethical.
But than again the nature of a man is thing that cant that easy change so i will conclude that nature of a man cant be changed.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
28.09.2011 - 00:38
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 28.09.2011 at 00:34

1.our blood thirst (the nature of a man is to exterminate another man,in means of genetic evolution and prosperity of one individual's genetic offspring )
2.our natural ability to understand the world in which we live,and to change it in order to make it comfortable place for our self .
I will speculate now,but i think that theoretically only one thing could change the human race and the nature of man: a catastrophe of biblical proportions that would sweep away the majority of human race(best would be that the genetically and intellectual elite survives ) ,and in the same preserving the all knowledge of man at that point.That would eventually give the survivors the genetic and intellectual new beginning and probably change the nature of man trough different conditions for further evolution.Now this is only an loose speculation and it have many flaws ,but in theory quite
good way to change the nature of a man. Also some people may find it quite unethical.
But than again the nature of a man is thing that cant that easy change so i will conclude that nature of a man cant be changed.

What about the nature of an individual man as opposed to mankind as a whole?
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

28.09.2011 - 00:58
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Arian Totalis on 28.09.2011 at 00:38

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 28.09.2011 at 00:34

What about the nature of an individual man as opposed to mankind as a whole?

as much as the nature of one individual man change ,that will not change the nature of mankind as a whole...
that is the reason why that change would demand ,lets call it a collective re-set ,a brand new evolution of every individual ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
28.09.2011 - 01:48
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I can see that but of course that's a Utopian concept. It would be nice though..
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

28.09.2011 - 03:07
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Arian Totalis on 28.09.2011 at 01:48

I can see that but of course that's a Utopian concept. It would be nice though..

well all we need is one nuclear winter,or an asteroid,even virus is good and a enough storage capacity for our knowledge.Once the world ends in this "reset event",and cleanse all but elite (ok this is a tricky one),humans will evolve again reaching their natural potential(the dark ages).Than we make the stored knowledge available for them again (a "renascence" )and than they will prosper even more than before "reset-cataclysm" .
Its Utopia sadly,but in a limited scales can be conduct (like on other planet or something).Still its just a theory.
----
28.09.2011 - 12:49
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Men tend to behave in strange ways when women are involved. Probably can be applied to a variety of scenarios.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
30.09.2011 - 05:58
Tormentor666
Sex.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
30.09.2011 - 06:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Tormentor666 on 30.09.2011 at 05:58
Sex.

Thread over.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."