11. A Past And Future Secret [acoustic version]
12. To France [Mike Oldfield cover]
13. Theatre Of Pain [orchestral version]
14. Hallelujah [Deep Purple cover] [2007 re-release bonus]
15. Beyond The Realms Of Death [Judas Priest cover] [2007 re-release bonus]
16. Don't Talk To Strangers [Dio cover] [2007 re-release bonus]
+ Mr. Sandman [video] [2007 re-release bonus]
+ The Bard's Song [video] [2007 re-release bonus]

Something totally different from Blind Guardian. An album full of covers, remakes and acoustic tracks. First, when I listened to it I was a bit busy and all I could remember were the negative parts - like 'Barbara Ann' and 'Surfin' USA'. Why didn't I add 'Mr. Sandman'? Well, this is one hell of a cover - amazing idea and it's done just perfectly with the peaceful start and powerful ending. And the cover of Mike Oldfield's 'To France' shows how fantastically Blind Guardian can play also other styles than metal. To be true I like Blind Guardian's 'To France' much more than any other cover of it and even more than the original.

But now when I've listened to the album for thousand times at least, I can see the depths and beauty that leaves the negative parts far behind. For me the most amazing and positive track is 'The Wizard'. It has the same idea as John Lennon's 'Imagine' yet the same message is sent with passion and with a beautiful story for the background. 'The Bards Song' adds even more beauty and power. Sometimes I wonder what do the Guardians feel on stage hearing more than 10000 people singing their song by heart. Amazing. 'The Bards Song' itself is really beautiful and powerful and the live version is even better. A track I can't leave out is also 'Lord of the Rings' - inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien's trilogy Blind Guardian has made a supreme track that should be known by heart of every Tolkien and Blind Guardian fan. Let's move on. First I didn't like the acoustic version of 'Bright Eyes', something was not right. Now the something that's different has made the song one of my favorites - awesome guitar sound, impressive lyrics and Hansi's vocals - just perfect.

All the songs I left mentioning are in my opinion almost as great as all the others but not that special. So to keep it short, I left them out.

Blind Guardian's The Forgotten Tales is an album that certainly MUST BE in the collection of every Blind Guardian fan. The album shows the amazing and wide abilities of the four Guardians and proves that Blind Guardian is the best power metal band in Germany [or even in the World].

Written by Manic | 02.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 44 users
20.12.2008 - 23:32
Rating: 9
giok99

I totally agree with this review.

I love "to france". This version is for me also better than the original (even if i love Oldfield). The other cover are great.

Lord of the rings, acoustic version, is a jewel. Other acoustic are all worth.

Bard's tale live give me chill every time i'm listening to it.

Every BG fan sould discover this other face of Blind Guardian.
----
Nothing is real
18.12.2015 - 21:58
Dave FC

Probably my favorite album from their career. But i don't agree with you about Olfield's cover. The original is utterly better.Maggie's vocals, the solos... Are near perfection. Just my opinion.
18.12.2015 - 22:01
Dave FC

This also to 'The wizard'

Hits total: 4572 | This month: 9