Metal Storm logo
USBM

Original post

Posted by Daniel, 21.12.2008 - 11:27
" United States Black Metal"

I'm not sure how many people are for or against, love or hate USBM

I have witnessed many debates about it & tons of people who really dislike it and believe it doesnt belong. Does black metal belong in america?

Please discuss your thoughts on USBM.
25.09.2011 - 22:08
InnerSelf
proofread free
^ Aren't we already over the fact that BM is no longer specifically anti-religious many US bands have put out albums of quality that many Euro bands can't even dream of reaching
Weakling, WitTR. Chaos Moon. Cobalt, Xasthur ..... to name a few.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
25.09.2011 - 23:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 25.09.2011 at 20:55

Ok.Does the BM belongs to US?
I believe not...Why ? Well for 3 main reasons:
1.US is known for its religiosity and morals when it comes to anything anti-religious ,and such atmosphere is quite hostile for making a bm band
2.Capitalism.any band that survives the bible humping christian groups will eventually,due to the lack of founds,start to lean toward more mainstream sound making a shitload of money and a utter unoriginal and generic crap...
3.US is best known for its death metal scene ,and as we know it the vast majority of DM people despise BM,which may lead to labeling any good BM band as crap,therefore flushing it back to underground scene and bible hampers.

I believe that european soil is a birthplace and best place for BM,but I can also admit that there are few good and very original BM bands that come from US.

a lot of that is overblown. it merely is a reflection of the image certain people wish to extend of the country... but beyond that, seems those FURTHER under the yolk of such hostile atmosphere are MORE likely to use black metal as a means to rebel against the status quo.

capitalism - another fucking stupid argument. for starters, virtually NO ONE makes money in metal anymore. NO ONE. and if it is money/radioplay you seek, you are not going to be starting a BM band. whereas in Norway or other countries, you'll get invited to play embassy gigs or be awarded EMMYs, they are all but ignored here.

best known for DM scene? that was fucking 20 years ago. And 5-10 years before that we were known for thrash. funny that being the launchpad for some awesome thrash bands didn't stifle other kids from going further out there to create death.

for future reference, I don't know shit about serbia, and thus won't talk shit about serbia. i suggest you do likewise, as you don't really know shit about the US.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.09.2011 - 23:55
ANGEL REAPER

Written by BitterCOld on 25.09.2011 at 23:38

1.US is known for its religiosity and morals when it comes to anything anti-religious ,and such atmosphere is quite hostile for making a bm band
2.Capitalism.any band that survives the bible humping christian groups will eventually,due to the lack of founds,start to lean toward more mainstream sound making a shitload of money and a utter unoriginal and generic crap...
3.US is best known for its death metal scene ,and as we know it the vast majority of DM people despise BM,which may lead to labeling any good BM band as crap,therefore flushing it back to underground scene and bible hampers.

I believe that european soil is a birthplace and best place for BM,but I can also admit that there are few good and very original BM bands that come from US.

a lot of that is overblown. it merely is a reflection of the image certain people wish to extend of the country... but beyond that, seems those FURTHER under the yolk of such hostile atmosphere are MORE likely to use black metal as a means to rebel against the status quo.

capitalism - another fucking stupid argument. for starters, virtually NO ONE makes money in metal anymore. NO ONE. and if it is money/radioplay you seek, you are not going to be starting a BM band. whereas in Norway or other countries, you'll get invited to play embassy gigs or be awarded EMMYs, they are all but ignored here.

best known for DM scene? that was fucking 20 years ago. And 5-10 years before that we were known for thrash. funny that being the launchpad for some awesome thrash bands didn't stifle other kids from going further out there to create death.

for future reference, I don't know shit about serbia, and thus won't talk shit about serbia. i suggest you do likewise, as you don't really know shit about the US.

ok man is you say so...but i will stick to this :
"Black Metal in US (apart from the few exceptions) is a very bad copy of Norwegian scene "
Also i admit that i a not into USBM scene,but that i have heard some more successful bands from US and formed my opinion about it based on that experience.
Now you can be patriot as much as you like (and you should be,its you country ),but i will (with minor exceptions) stick to what i wrote...US is way more hostile place for BM than lets say europe...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
26.09.2011 - 00:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 25.09.2011 at 23:55
Now you can be patriot as much as you like

It's not about being patriot, it's about having some basic common sense.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
26.09.2011 - 00:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
And why the hell should one be a patriot? Patriotism has led to a lot wars and other bad things.
I never understood why one should be proud of one's country. It's by chance one is born and raised there.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.09.2011 - 00:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

Now you can be patriot as much as you like (and you should be,its you country ),but i will (with minor exceptions) stick to what i wrote...US is way more hostile place for BM than lets say europe...

BM IS hostile. if anything it is more likely to do well in a hostile environment. i stated that above and the point is still lost on you.

you are yet another euro (see also the douchebag who fled the site the day 4.0 was unleashed) that seems to think metal not being popular in the US is a bad thing. It's a GOOD thing. it keeps it more underground and less trendy. when i see another motherfucker wearing a bm shirt here, i know he's down. i know he's not some douchebag that got into bm because they saw KOK on Eurovision and whose class started cheering them on.

we are far less likely to have THIS:

----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.09.2011 - 00:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BitterCOld on 26.09.2011 at 00:05

you are yet another euro (see also the douchebag who fled the site the day 4.0 was unleashed) that seems to think metal not being popular in the US is a bad thing. It's a GOOD thing. it keeps it more underground and less trendy.

Heh, Might sound like a hipster but I would love that the "metal situation" here in sweden was just like USA or like what I've seen in Chile: Far more underground and commited to the scene imo.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
26.09.2011 - 00:10
ANGEL REAPER

Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.09.2011 at 00:00

Now you can be patriot as much as you like

It's not about being patriot, it's about having some basic common sense.

hey i am not from US so i cant know the exact situation there.I can only know about the stuff that comes trough the media.
and mine picture of BM in US was built by (mostly) US media (web pages,TV mostly)...
If that picture is wrong than i shall gladly listen to a man that come from US and speak about it to me,and than i will form a new picture based on the new information.
Problem is in fact that my post was interpreted as attack on US,and it wasn't ,that is the reason why i wrote that.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
26.09.2011 - 00:24
ANGEL REAPER

Written by BitterCOld on 26.09.2011 at 00:05

BM IS hostile. if anything it is more likely to do well in a hostile environment. i stated that above and the point is still lost on you.

you are yet another euro (see also the douchebag who fled the site the day 4.0 was unleashed) that seems to think metal not being popular in the US is a bad thing. It's a GOOD thing. it keeps it more underground and less trendy. when i see another motherfucker wearing a bm shirt here, i know he's down. i know he's not some douchebag that got into bm because they saw KOK on Eurovision and whose class started cheering them on.

we are far less likely to have THIS:

no man i agree with you that for metal (especially BM) is better to be an underground and not trendy stuff.
And about that remark about BM people in US and EU:
Posers are common thing here and there...Hell even in my country its the same situation for metal in general,and for BM maybe the worst in Europe.
So i know what you mean about those " posers " ,they are everywhere.And I agree! when i see a person here wearing some BM or DM shirt here i can with 99% accuracy say that he is into it ,not posing for his classmates...And i believe you when you say that there in US people wearing bm shirts are not the posers.
I dont see why do you think that i am some poser/douche/elitist like that guy (i know who he is).If i was wrong i will gladly accept your remarks about the scene (and the country) and will know about it in future.
----
26.09.2011 - 20:09
-tom-
Mr FancyPants

Most people would argue that this is a reason why Americans might be better at black metal. Either way it doesn't really have much to do with the music.

This doesn't seem to have been the case and people from a generally wealthy country like America would probably have less need to make money from their music.

3.US is best known for its death metal scene ,and as we know it the vast majority of DM people despise BM

Do they? :s
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
26.09.2011 - 21:22
jazar94

Why would you post ethnocentric remarks towards the United States just to state that you have no idea what you're talking about? People these days confuse me so much.

Anyways, I have yet to hear a USBM band because I've never come across one. Enlighten me.
26.09.2011 - 21:45
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by jazar94 on 26.09.2011 at 21:22

Why would you post ethnocentric remarks towards the United States just to state that you have no idea what you're talking about? People these days confuse me so much.

Anyways, I have yet to hear a USBM band because I've never come across one. Enlighten me.

really?

some to check out...

Chaos Moon
Cobalt (not pure black)
Leviathan
Lurker Of Challice
Nachtmystium
Weakling
Xasthur
Benighted In Sodom
Twilight
Averse Sefira

that's a good enough starting point for now.
----

27.09.2011 - 04:01
dr.doom

Honestly, my favorite bands (as mainly a BM fan) are from the US, and they are mostly underground compared to the "trendy" metal in my area.

It kind of irks me that that Angel Reaper guy said something about the US being a very christian country (which is totally untrue unless you go south), when Black Metal cultivated in what is often considered the most conventional protestant christian country in the world. Just saying... you shouldn't throw an opinion into something you don't understand.

Anyway, I think the last six years or so have seen the best BM come out of the US, in terms of new bands at least.
27.09.2011 - 04:04
Richard

I would add VON - with their unfeasibly primitive, monotonous style, their 'Satanic Blood' demo was considered to be inspirational and almost legendary in the BM underground.
----
27.09.2011 - 05:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
There are tons of "unknown" bands that could sneak into any USBM list, a testament to both the quality and/or the size of the country; the choice is yours. I'd add Arizmenda on a personal note for what it's worth. A more valuable black metal band than the majority of everything I've heard in the "black" vein in recent times.
27.09.2011 - 18:49
jazar94

I guess I have listened to some USBM, mainly Lurker Of Chalice and Leviathan. I will check out others when I am done with my power metal phase.
28.09.2011 - 03:59
(((O)))

The US probably has the best BM scene right now together with France and maybe Germany. There are tons of great and original bands fron the US. Most of the good bands have already been mentioned though..

Here are some of my favorite BM bands from the US right now:

L'Acephale, an excellent mix of ambient black, neofolk and noise.
Ash Borer, great atmospheric black metal.
Fell Voices, black metal with some really awesome and epic melodies.
Raspberry Bulbs, black/punk but more punk than black though.
Hail, weird black metal/noise stuff.
23.08.2014 - 21:00
Vombatus
Potorro
Necroing the thread. I was listening all the stuff of the Colloquial Sound Recordings label, most of it really raw underground BM, also quite shitty but with a few gems like this one (very repetitive but the second half of the song is instant boner):

http://colloquialsoundrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/the-search-for-blood

23.08.2014 - 22:10
mz

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.09.2011 at 00:04

And why the hell should one be a patriot? Patriotism has led to a lot wars and other bad things.
I never understood why one should be proud of one's country. It's by chance one is born and raised there.

Sorry for quoting this old post and going off-topic but this statement is pure gold. I've bought so much of hate for myself by saying that during the recent years. Good to see that there are at least some other people sharing this opinion.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
23.08.2014 - 22:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by mz on 23.08.2014 at 22:10

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.09.2011 at 00:04

Sorry for quoting this old post and going off-topic but this statement is pure gold. I've bought so much of hate for myself by saying that during the recent years. Good to see that there are at least some other people sharing this opinion.

I can't even remember posting that here. However, I do say it regularly to friends and such.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996