Metal Storm logo
Anvil - The Story Of Anvil Rockumentary

"Anvil! The Story of Anvil" is the mockumentary-like autobiography of Canadian heavy-metal practitioners Steve "Lips" Kudlow and Robb Reiner, two inspirational aging rockers who are now in their mid-fifties, and still heroically following their dream. After a desultory European tour with their band Anvil, Lips and Robb decide to record a 13th album in a final attempt to fulfill their boyhead dreams of stardom.

From the Sundance Film Festival program: "At 14, Toronto school friends Steve "Lips" Kudlow and Robb Reiner made a pact to rock together forever. Their band, Anvil, went on to become the "demigods of Canadian metal," releasing one of the heaviest albums in metal history, 1982's "Metal On Metal". The album influenced a musical generation, including Metallica, Slayer, and Anthrax, that went on to sell millions of records. But Anvil's career took a different path - straight to obscurity.

Director Sacha Gervasi has concocted a wonderful and often hilarious account of Anvil's last-ditch quest for elusive fame and fortune. His ingenious filmmaking may first lead you to think this a mockumentary, but it isn't. Gervasi joined the legendary heavy-metal band as a roadie for a tour of Canadian hockey arenas, so he has intimate insight into the members' eccentricities. It's fascinating to see the reality of their day-to-day lives as they struggle to make ends meet, take a misguided European tour, and engage in antics on the road - which is not always lined with fans. Gervasi even finds a softer center to this raucous film, introducing us to band members' ever-supportive, but long-suffering, families. At its core, Anvil! The True Story of Anvil is a timeless tale of survival and the unadulterated passion it takes to follow your dream, year after year. Anvil rocks - it has no other choice."

The film will be released in North America, Canada and the U.K. in spring 2009. The distribution deal has also been agreed for Japan, with Australia to follow shortly. More info at this location.

Source: anvilthemovie.com
Band profile: Anvil
Posted: 21.12.2008 by DayFly

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 14   Visited by: 77 users
21.12.2008 - 19:55
thesabbathfan
I always wondered... why didn't they ever really make it big?
----
21.12.2008 - 22:58
amerislave
Account deleted
Looking forward to seeing this. they made a good point on "that metal show" on vh1 classic......lars does commentary on the importance of anvil in the documentary and it would be nice for metallica to have them open some shows. that is wishful thinking though since metallica is all about drawing in new kids.
21.12.2008 - 23:11
Symmachus
I haven't even heard of this band until now.
22.12.2008 - 02:30
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
HAHAHA ANVIL!: the story of anvil. greatest title ever. this could either be epic or terrible
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
28.03.2009 - 19:52
DayFly
The dvd is out. Just felt compelled to leave a notice.
29.03.2009 - 21:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by DayFly on 28.03.2009 at 19:52

The dvd is out. Just felt compelled to leave a notice.

Great, will try to get hold of it. Metal On Metal and Forged In Fire are two classics which seem to go unnoticed nowadays, but really did leave a mark back when they were released.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.04.2009 - 02:59
PiercingMetal
I saw this film last week and highly recommend it. Since the band also performed I made sure to shoot photos and offer some commentary about the night. Anyone interested can see more via the link and dont worry, I did not spoil the film for anyone - http://piercingmetal.com/wordpress/?p=1044

Ken P
PiercingMetal.com
----
Ken Pierce - Editor In Chief
http://www.PiercingMetal.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PiercingMetal
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/PiercingMetal
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/PiercingMetalNYC
11.07.2009 - 01:56
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
Finally watched it, very entertaining. The kind of documentaries that keep you interested the whole way through.
17.07.2009 - 19:37
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
They were on "That Metal Show" or whatever with Eddie Trunk and Co. on VH-1 Classic recently. really amusing guys.

The story of the movie itself is cool - Sacha saw them in London as a kid in the early 80's... rand to the room they were partying in after the gig (with members of Def Leppard other bands that went on to big fame and dinero) and was raging, bouncing off the walls talking about their performance.

nearly 30 years later, they reconnected and Sacha did a movie about them.

as Lips put it - "it was a case of band inspiring fan, fan inspiring band."

one of the co-hosts challenged Tom Araya, Lars, Scott Ian and other musicians in larger bands that sang their praises in the dvd/movie to take them out on tour with 'em.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.08.2010 - 06:31
ponderer
Man did this Rockumentary bring back memories (and a few nightmares!) I sincerely hope Anvil are finally getting the recognition they deserve after all these years. Why in the hell didn't any of the bigger bands help these guys out?!?!?!?!?
26.08.2010 - 14:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by ponderer on 26.08.2010 at 06:31

Man did this Rockumentary bring back memories (and a few nightmares!) I sincerely hope Anvil are finally getting the recognition they deserve after all these years. Why in the hell didn't any of the bigger bands help these guys out?!?!?!?!?

Maybe because after Forged In Fire they started to suck majorly. Also their latest This Is Thirteen is bad, only the title track is any good as is the production.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.08.2010 - 21:19
ponderer
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.08.2010 at 14:14

Written by ponderer on 26.08.2010 at 06:31

Maybe because after Forged In Fire they started to suck majorly. Also their latest This Is Thirteen is bad, only the title track is any good as is the production.

I find that pretty hard to believe and accept considering the fact that there are bands out there that suck way more ass like all the emo, screamo, lmao kids bullshit that passes for music these days. What about all the hair band glam posers from back in the 80's and 90's? That music sucks royal sweaty balls yet somehow those morons managed to make a few bucks over the years. Stryper? I mean come on. All those candyass shitheads pumping out mindless slave drone garbage made a living yet bands that were trying hard and pouring their hearts into their music like Anvil got no recognition at all. I guess that kind of sums up the music industry in a nutshell doesn't it?
27.08.2010 - 21:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Problem also is that Anvil are about the most naive and simple people around, as can be witnessed in this docu. Who in their right mind would take that idiotic fan eastern european whatever woman as their manager? lips although being a nice guy is the most naive and simplest of people around. And the problem with Robb which you don't see in the docu but can read about a bit in the book is his subastance addiction.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.10.2011 - 23:47
JD
Account deleted
I finally had the chance to sit and watch this wonderful documentary.

Hits total: 4044 | This month: 6