Metal Storm logo
Official Whisky Thread!

23.12.2008 - 21:32
Nyarlatothep
Since I have seen atleast 4 members with a Whisky bottle as a user avatar I think its about time we need a official Whisky thread. Were we "old" cranky farts discuss the golden nectar named Whisky. As a note Bourbon drinkers can make their own thread.

If anyone wonders WHY it is in the art forum. Th making of whisky and enjoying it, is a art!

So what whisky do you prefer? What Glasses? Regions? Your thoughts about the latest Whisky you bought!

At the moment Im sitting here with a branded Glenmorangie Noosing glass and enjoying a Ardbeg 10 year old from the new batch.

Favorites so far, Ardbeg, Lagavulin (yes I am a sley enthusiast), Bowmore, Port Ellen, Glenmorangie for a smooth change, Highland Park and the list goes on!

Lets Discuss Whisky!

And Ice is the tool of the devil in a good whisky!
----
"To defend one's life and the safety of one's fatherland is the prize and excellence of this discipline"
23.12.2008 - 22:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Good to see a fellow Islay fan here. That region is by far my favourite. Espcially the all time classic 16 year old Lagavulin.
The most special one I have ever tasted is the infamous Bowmore Black and yes it is as black as tar, but the taste is just divine.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.12.2008 - 22:40
Nyarlatothep
Tasted Black bowmore myself. good experience. Ardbeg Lord of the isle is also fantastic.
----
"To defend one's life and the safety of one's fatherland is the prize and excellence of this discipline"
23.12.2008 - 22:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Another great one i tasted was the Lagavulin 50 year old one. I just don't want to know how much a bottle of that stuff costs though.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.12.2008 - 23:31
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I had some Jameson 12 Year Old this September, and it was pretty good. Before that I had The Glenlivet 12 Year old, and it sucked; after that I thought whiskey wasn't my thing, but Jameson changed things. This is a good thread; I'd like to hear some recommendations as I am thinking about buying some alcohol for my family for the New Year.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
23.12.2008 - 23:34
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
It really isn't art. Moved to General Discussions forum.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
23.12.2008 - 23:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 23.12.2008 at 23:31

I had some Jameson 12 Year Old this September, and it was pretty good. Before that I had The Glenlivet 12 Year old, and it sucked; after that I thought whiskey wasn't my thing, but Jameson changed things. This is a good thread; I'd like to hear some recommendations as I am thinking about buying some alcohol for my family for the New Year.

It is quite impossible to compare a blend whiskey (Jameson) with a single malt whisky (Glenlivet) Blends are generally way smoother and more easy on the palate whereas a single malt needs tiome to get used to.

@ktulu, Scotch whiskies are spelled whisky and the US and Irish ones as whiskEy.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.12.2008 - 23:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@Lucas, you are a philistine, barbarian, neanderthal for saying whisky isn't an art. whisky is way more art than folk metal or euro flower power metal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.12.2008 - 23:45
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
I've recently had bottles of Bell's and Jack Daniels. JD is well known for supposedly being smoother which is true but it's seems to be weaker in flavour as well as lacking the harshness of other whiskies.

That's about as far as my knowledge of whisky goes I'm afraid.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
23.12.2008 - 23:51
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.12.2008 at 23:44

Written by K✞ulu on 23.12.2008 at 23:31

It is quite impossible to compare a blend whiskey (Jameson) with a single malt whisky (Glenlivet) Blends are generally way smoother and more easy on the palate whereas a single malt needs tiome to get used to.

@ktulu, Scotch whiskies are spelled whisky and the US and Irish ones as whiskEy.

I see about the single malt.. bla bla bla... I read in some magazine that single malt is like more tr00 than anything else... why is that? is that true at all?

As far as the spelling, I actually I knew this rule but I mixed it up here, so thanks for correcting.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
24.12.2008 - 00:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I love diferent type of whisky's but moustly schotch and jack daniels i like single malt moustly, but its hard to get here , we had mously Bells, J&B, Ballantines, Jonney walker, Grants, jack Daniels, jim Bim, Jameson, Tullamore Dew, and cheeper like Caln McGreggor, Sir Edvards

I like Gordon Graham's ''Black Bottle'' Obam, Bell's, since I cant get those from Scotland, i werry rear drink good one , but I say one think whenrever I can I try buy it and its good, werry good

Best thinks isnt for export
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.12.2008 - 00:12
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Whiskey is the only hard liquor that I like. Since I haven't really experimented with many brands, Crown Royal and Jim Beam is what I usually order. Jack Daniel's is overrated!
24.12.2008 - 00:40
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Macallan is FLOSS as helllllll
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
24.12.2008 - 02:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Damn I never had seen here whisky in stores who's more stronger how 43% , I know soem has 47% like Oban , but its what i got from Scotland, damn I realyw ant try stronger how 50% swollow it be like eat peace of cacke
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.12.2008 - 03:57
Fhuesc
Dont we have an alcohol thread already?
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
24.12.2008 - 08:53
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I am another islay enthusiast.

Lagavulin was my favorite, but as the price has escalated from $50 to $100 a bottle, it's beyond what i'm willing to pay.

i've found Ardbeg a suitable replacement at about 60% the cost without much by way of sacrifice to quality.

i've also grown quite fond of Laphroig 15, and 18 is simply awesome, although i've never seen a bottle of it for sale directly. The Laphroig 10 simply pales in comparison. it's definitely worth paying up for the extra 5 years.

those are probably my three favorites, with Talisker and Caol Ila following.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.12.2008 - 18:36
Nyarlatothep
Written by Lucas on 23.12.2008 at 23:34

It really isn't art.

Well we could discuss that. And at the same time I challange you to say that to someone who works in relation to it:-)
----
25.12.2008 - 20:31
Gigginova
Account deleted
Whiskey's beautiful, I love Jack Daniels, I like Bourbon better than Scotch.

But I dunno if this thread will last long, there's an alcohol thread haha.
25.12.2008 - 20:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 25.12.2008 at 20:31

I am posting here as a whisky lover. And since whisky is a superior sort of alcohol we can't have common alcoohol pollute it so we need a separate whisky thread.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.12.2008 - 20:43
Nyarlatothep

Bourbon... Ah Water sugar, vanilla and some colour added:-D I use it to mix drinks:-D

Talking of Whisky. Charles MacLeans Miscellany Of Whisky is quite a decent read
----
25.12.2008 - 20:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Nyarlatothep on 25.12.2008 at 20:43

Bourbon... Ah Water sugar, vanilla and some colour added:-D I use it to mix drinks:-D

Talking of Whisky. Charles MacLeans Miscellany Of Whisky is quite a decent read

Or get Michael Jackson's Matl Whisky guide
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.12.2008 - 21:49
Nyarlatothep
You are trying to say there are still people who DOESNT have Michael jacksons book?????
----
25.12.2008 - 22:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Nyarlatothep on 25.12.2008 at 21:49

You are trying to say there are still people who DOESNT have Michael jacksons book?????

There are many, unfortunately.
But besides MJ being a whiisky connaisseur he was also a great beer connaisseur.

And for those who are wondering... no, this guy is the REAL Michael Jackson, looks nothing like the singing one, and has passed away about two years ago.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.12.2008 - 22:47
Nyarlatothep
And another big diffrence between this MJ and the other MJ is that this one doesnt have a history of touching children on various places:) Speaking of books i have book about Isley Whiskys on the way from amazon:)
----
25.12.2008 - 22:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Nyarlatothep on 25.12.2008 at 22:47

And another big diffrence between this MJ and the other MJ is that this one doesnt have a history of touching children on various places:) Speaking of books i have book about Isley Whiskys on the way from amazon:)

Nice, please post the title and if it is any good here once you get it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.12.2008 - 22:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.12.2008 at 20:35

I am posting here as a whisky lover. And since whisky is a superior sort of alcohol we can't have common alcoohol pollute it so we need a separate whisky thread.

I understand... It's like talking about Doom Metal and euro flower metal in the same thread. A blasphemy.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.12.2008 - 22:58
Nyarlatothep
Http://www.amazon.com/Peat-Smoke-Spirit-Portrait-Whiskies/dp/0747245789/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230238558&sr=8-1

And Charles Book.
http://www.amazon.com/MacLeans-Miscellany-Whisky-Charles-MacLean/dp/1904435238/ref=ed_oe_h

Ill give my thoughts on the Isley books once it arrives, but Charles book i can recomend.
----
25.12.2008 - 23:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Nyarlatothep on 25.12.2008 at 22:58

Http://www.amazon.com/Peat-Smoke-Spirit-Portrait-Whiskies/dp/0747245789/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230238558&sr=8-1

And Charles Book.
http://www.amazon.com/MacLeans-Miscellany-Whisky-Charles-MacLean/dp/1904435238/ref=ed_oe_h

Ill give my thoughts on the Isley books once it arrives, but Charles book i can recomend.

Thanks for the links
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.12.2008 - 03:54
Gigginova
Account deleted
Ever notice how bourbon is more popular amongst young people than scotch? why is that?
26.12.2008 - 07:15
Nyarlatothep
I blame the media (american movies with jack and coke). In other words they dont know better at the current time an dpoint in their life. But many as they get more experienced move on to the mighty power of the single malt.
----