Poll

The ultimate Finnish Metal poll!

Children Of Bodom
Nightwish

Total votes: 186
02.01.2009 - 22:27
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Nightwish and COB are the most popular Finnish bands, right? Easy poll: Nightwish OR Children Of Bodom.

My choice is Children Of Bodom for two reasons: first, I always preferred Extreme Metal, and second, I'm disappointed by most of Nightwish's stuff after Wishmaster. And Anette Olzon's voice is... well, you know exactly how it sounds.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
02.01.2009 - 23:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
OMG moust popular and moust overated, there much better bands in Finland, dont aks name it but I would choose Nightwish because they are much better, when I was younger I liked CoB firts 3 albums, now I dont see anything what to hear there, IMO its boring nowdays, but I still find NW something for me, even I prefere old albums, but I do not say newq is bad(I mean Tarja's era, because I dont like Anette album) so NW my gets vote
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.01.2009 - 03:50
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Yeah, it's all about popularity, as stated above... I do love both bands for specific reasons, but Finnish bands like Kalmah, Finntroll, EToS or Catamenia are very good, indeed. They are not amongst world's top 10 metal bands in terms of commercial popularity.
----
03.01.2009 - 11:41
Elio
Red Nightmare
So? What's this thread about? Say which we prefer between this two uber-overrated bands?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
03.01.2009 - 13:51
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I'll go with Nightwish for sure. I used to like CoB for some period of time, but not anymore. Just like Bad English, I don't find anything about them anymore while Nightwish is still something I listen to, and I like the latest album as well. And by the way why the hell are they overrated?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
03.01.2009 - 14:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by K✞ulu on 03.01.2009 at 13:51

I'll go with Nightwish for sure. I used to like CoB for some period of time, but not anymore. Just like Bad English, I don't find anything about them anymore while Nightwish is still something I listen to, and I like the latest album as well. And by the way why the hell are they overrated?

IMO CoB are for begginers when you start listen metal, need something heavyer how TV or Rdaio plays and you dunno bands what to lsiten, same like I 6 years ago
----

apos;'
[image]
03.01.2009 - 14:29
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Bad English on 03.01.2009 at 14:23

IMO CoB are for begginers when you start listen metal, need something heavyer how TV or Rdaio plays and you dunno bands what to lsiten, same like I 6 years ago

Pretty true. I listened to CoB when I was just discovering new genres and bands. But I am really curious how it would feel listening to them now. Unfortunately I don't have my mp3s here at my hometown, so I'll do that when get back to Kiev in a week or so.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

03.01.2009 - 14:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by K✞ulu on 03.01.2009 at 14:29

Pretty true. I listened to CoB when I was just discovering new genres and bands. But I am really curious how it would feel listening to them now. Unfortunately I don't have my mp3s here at my hometown, so I'll do that when get back to Kiev in a week or so.

Try CoF vids in youtube, go in MS band prof, see vids and try it
----

apos;'
[image]
03.01.2009 - 14:37
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Bad English on 03.01.2009 at 14:34

Written by K✞ulu on 03.01.2009 at 14:29

Try CoF vids in youtube, go in MS band prof, see vids and try it

You mean CoB... well, I don't usually do it; I try to listen to full albums all the time... maybe I'll do that...
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

03.01.2009 - 15:09
Øyvind
Grave Digger
I agree that these two bands are overrated, however it wasn't too difficult for me to choose between these two. I voted for Nightwish, simply because I like them more than CoB. Let's face it, neither band is truly fantastic, especially in recent years, but I dunno, I reckon Tarja does it better for me than Alexi
----
03.01.2009 - 15:35
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Oh please, don't compare Tarja with Wildchild, man... It's like comparing Celine Dion with Dani Filth. It's more about the band in itself than comparing specific elements, since they don't play the same genre at all. Tarja isn't there anymore, anyway. And her voice was getting less and less operatic after Wishmaster. The problem with Nightwish is that it's like the only symphonic band I know that was better with only keyboards and flutes than with a full orchestra. It actually sounded more epic...
----
03.01.2009 - 21:50
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Both overated but i like nightwish more
04.01.2009 - 08:55
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Can anybody explain why they are overrated?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

04.01.2009 - 09:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
This poll is by no means the "ultimate Finnish poll" as we already have an existing one with more options... the majority of which are better, imo.

...And Oceans/Havoc Unit >>> both bands listed.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.01.2009 - 09:11
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Not huge on either of them anymore. Used to be a die-hard Bodom fan, rarely listen to them at this point but can still enjoy putting on an album every now and then, never liked Nightwish, period.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.01.2009 - 09:59
mortjoyeux

Nightwish.
I'm not a fan of COB, and Nightwish is like a secret pleasure of mine so there you go.
04.01.2009 - 22:12
Fhuesc

I don't understand the sense of this poll, anyway, i voted for Nightwish cuz i listen them more than CoB. But i think both bands at this point suck.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
08.01.2009 - 10:44
Eeric
Account deleted
COB for sure. after Tarja get kicked off, nightwish have sucked.
so NW's newest album = their worst, but COB's newest album = their best
08.01.2009 - 17:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 08.01.2009 at 10:44

but COB's newest album = their best

Good one!
----
- George Carlin
08.01.2009 - 18:12
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Doc G. on 08.01.2009 at 17:33

Good one!

he wasn't even joking!
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
09.01.2009 - 09:24
Eeric
Account deleted
Written by Elio on 08.01.2009 at 18:12

Written by Doc G. on 08.01.2009 at 17:33

Good one!

he wasn't even joking!

What's wrong with Blooddrunk, cuz it's not so teenangst than older?
09.01.2009 - 11:21
Ernis
狼獾
The comparison in the poll is completely out of place....it wouldn't if Bodom and Nightwish made same type of music but oh well....I stick to Nightwish....simply because I've never been listening to COB (altho their Britney cover's brilliant) and I admire Nightwish's creation from their first works to their latest achievements whereas I've never felt any interest towards COB....therefore, Nightwish....to be honest, the work of Nightwish is truly a lot more powerful and the fact they managed to produce the priciest album of Finland's history of music, it doesn't show any level of commercialness nor money but their work indeed is of high quality.....and high quality music is what matters the most....
09.01.2009 - 11:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I don't understand the people in this thread saying you can't compare the two. IMO you can since both play power metal (Nightwish more so on their earlier albums than nowadays but still) albeit different sorts of power metal. It's not like polling Clandestine Blaze against Korpiklaani here.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.01.2009 - 03:54
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Fhuesc on 04.01.2009 at 22:12

I don't understand the sense of this poll, anyway, i voted for Nightwish cuz i listen them more than CoB. But i think both bands at this point suck.

Why are you guys always so complicated? This is pretty simple, you have the choice between two options. You vote for the option you think is worth your vote because you like that band better than the other one. Any more specifications required?
----
13.01.2009 - 04:52
Fhuesc

Written by MétalNoir on 13.01.2009 at 03:54

Why are you guys always so complicated? This is pretty simple, you have the choice between two options. You vote for the option you think is worth your vote because you like that band better than the other one. Any more specifications required?

Yes voting for voting doesn't make any sense, there has to be a meaning, reason, base. To me this poll is like asking, what do you prefer a chocolate or a cat, i like both, but they aren't comparable, one is a candy the other is a pet.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
14.01.2009 - 00:52
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Fhuesc on 13.01.2009 at 04:52

Written by MétalNoir on 13.01.2009 at 03:54

Yes voting for voting doesn't make any sense, there has to be a meaning, reason, base. To me this poll is like asking, what do you prefer a chocolate or a cat, i like both, but they aren't comparable, one is a candy the other is a pet.

Look, as written above, the goal of this poll is to discuss about the two more popular finnish bands. That's the point. Of course those bands aren't very similar, but both have huge commercial success and are known by a whole lot of metalheads, so I think it makes the discussion more "mainstream" than one opposing Augury and Unexpect, for example. To add some flavour to the subject, I included a poll. We're not looking for some supreme truth, here, it's just a f***ing forum about metal, man.
----
14.01.2009 - 01:04
Warman
Erotic Stains
Both belong to my absolute favourite bands and both means a lot to me. Children of Bodom probably a little more since it was the third (and first Extreme) Metal band I listened to and loved. But... hmmm... I probably love Nightwish's music a little more. Tarja is one of my favourite vocalists and the emotion the band has is exceptional. I don't really know why, but I gave them my vote. It's really hard to explain. It just felt right. I mean, Nightwish have "Oceanborn", "Wishmaster", "Century Child" and "Once" while Children of Bodom has "Hatebreeder", "Follow the Reaper" and "Hate Crew Deathroll".
I gave my vote to Nightwish... okay! Let's just leave it like that.
----
14.01.2009 - 03:18
JackSyn

Well i voted nightwish they just .. made better albums than CoB they both suck atm anyway but seriously the best finnish metal band imo is Swallow the Sun
14.01.2009 - 06:55
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by BitterCOld on 04.01.2009 at 09:04

This poll is by no means the "ultimate Finnish poll" as we already have an existing one with more options... the majority of which are better, imo.

...And Oceans/Havoc Unit >>> both bands listed.

I thinks its perfectly obvious this isn't the ultimate finnish poll, considering I think Hanoi Rocks were bigger anyways on the grand scheme of things. This is more one of those "I want people to vote and compare my favourite bands" polls.

I vote Dolly Parton.
----
- George Carlin
11.02.2009 - 01:40
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
You are comparing incomparable...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep