Metal Storm logo
Nightwish vs Children Of Bodom

Original post

Posted by MétalNoir, 02.01.2009 - 22:27
Nightwish and COB are the most popular Finnish bands, right? Easy poll: Nightwish OR Children Of Bodom.

My choice is Children Of Bodom for two reasons: first, I always preferred Extreme Metal, and second, I'm disappointed by most of Nightwish's stuff after Wishmaster. And Anette Olzon's voice is... well, you know exactly how it sounds.

Poll

The ultimate Finnish Metal poll!

Children Of Bodom
Nightwish

Total votes: 186
11.05.2009 - 21:37
Land Of Doom
There Is No Way For Compare Betwen This Two Band

Nightwish Sing Power

Children Of Bodom Sing Extreme Power

There Is a big deferent
For me i prefer Nightwish
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
04.06.2009 - 19:27
Warheart19
I can't choose. Both bands mean a lot to me
17.07.2009 - 23:09
Evil Chip
Nightwish for me. I don't really like CoB though I know that they are better musicians. I just like nightwish music better.
10.12.2009 - 18:04
SatyriconChick
Whoever created this poll - are you serious?? There's no comparison between these two bands. I like COB, but Nightwish is SO much better. There really is no contest here.
10.12.2009 - 19:56
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I agree, this is a stupid poll. Both bands are nothing like each other...

But, the decision is easy for me, as I don't like symphonic metal with female vocals, and COB are awesome. So it's COB for me!
10.12.2009 - 22:44
IronBlackZepp
COB all the way on this one, I have heard both bands quite a bit and COB plays with more energy. I have some friends who are Nightwish fans and I could never understand how they could get into them. They are not that great. COB may not write anything too good these days but their first four albums are pretty good, and enough for me to vote for them over Nightwish any day of the week.
11.12.2009 - 02:34
Damned-In-Black
CoB are a horribly awful band - I struggle to sit through a track. And though I hardly listen to Nightwish these days (I used to, a lot), they get my vote easily.
11.12.2009 - 21:13
Shipwrecked
This is a really difficult comparison for two very different bands. But I went with COB as they were one of the first heavier bands I had gotten into after the "gateway" bands (Maiden, Sabbath, etc.)
13.12.2009 - 15:31
Warman
Erotic Stains
Can people read the first post? A comparison between these two isn't weird at all. They are Finland's most popular Metal bands, which one do you prefer? Hell, these guys even shared a single back in the days.
----
13.12.2009 - 22:15
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Irritable Ted on 13.12.2009 at 15:24

This is like comparing Skyclad to Napalm Death. Whats the point?

Skyclad by far
11.04.2010 - 16:48
Zhao
The Arkaholic
Marco Hietalas epic beard > all
12.04.2010 - 14:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Zhao on 11.04.2010 at 16:48

same like Alexi face are clean shaved sometimes looks like girl
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.04.2010 - 06:20
Hanyuchan
Nightwish, COB is too irritating
14.04.2010 - 18:19
Kennoth
Oh, come on now. Nightwish is obviously a better band. Toumas is a genius.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
09.05.2010 - 04:23
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I really cant seem to figure out the purpose of this thread.. its like comparing the colour red with potatoes lol.
But since Im here..
CoB = good melodies, good early riffs, great solos, awful vocals.
Nightwish = the best keyboard works, revolutionary symphonic metal, Marco's beard. So Im going for Nightwish.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
09.05.2010 - 12:35
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Bad English on 12.04.2010 at 14:26

Written by Zhao on 11.04.2010 at 16:48

same like Alexi face are clean shaved sometimes looks like girl

this is not the same as beard
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

09.05.2010 - 18:56
Angel Of Mercy
There is no comparrison between the two bands. They sound utterly different.
----
Your time will come.
15.05.2010 - 03:27
They're too different from each other to compare like that.I think cob has better musicians but nightwish is better written. Like the lyrics and melodies I mean. And the full out orchestras are pretty good too. Idk I like them both a lot, Finland is awesome in the music department:banger:
16.05.2010 - 00:03
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Kennoth on 14.04.2010 at 18:19

Oh, come on now. Nightwish is obviously a better band. Toumas is a genius.

I agree. Toumas is a visionary and is very passionate about his music. It seems that that kind of thing is missing from COB music. I mean, they've essentially released the same album seven times. Sure, they have some kick-ass riffs in their music, but it's just kinda like they're recycling their albums with each new release. Nightwish has progressed... for better or for worse. And by the looks of it, Nightwish should be releasing a mostly acoustic album in the near future... Or at least I hope so.
28.05.2010 - 07:17
His Eminence
Account deleted
Currently Nightwish is the better band for me. They've gotten better with each album in my opinion, and I definitely prefer Anette over Tarja. Children of Bodom started going downhill after Hate Crew Deathroll. All the albums leading up to it were great in my opinion. Hate Crew Deathroll was good, and the two albums afterwards were just "meh." So yeah, currently Nightwish.
28.05.2010 - 10:10
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Neither. if this is simply the "ultimate in Finnish metal", well, i'd rather slash my wrists (up the veins, none of this lateral pussy draw attention to myself shit) than listen to either.

speaking of finnish and slashing wrists...

Colosseum
Skepticism
Shape Of Despair
Profetus

at least there is plenty of fantastic finnish shit to listen to without having to subject oneself to Nightchildren of Wishdom.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.05.2010 - 15:08
vezzy
Stallmanite
One is extreme power, the other is symphonic metal. Still, I prefer extreme genres, so Children of Bodom for me. Even still, I'm not a big fan of CoB.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
30.05.2010 - 15:10
Kennoth
Written by vezzy on 30.05.2010 at 15:08

One is extreme power, the other is symphonic metal. Still, I prefer extreme genres, so Children of Bodom for me. Even still, I'm not a big fan of CoB.

Not quite. NW is symphonic power metal; it's a big difference

And I really wouldn't call CoB any more extreme than NW, other than harsh vocals.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
30.05.2010 - 15:27
vezzy
Stallmanite
Well, comparatively, CoB aren't extreme at all, but I prefer their sound over Nightwish's.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
31.05.2010 - 23:57
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Nightwish has my vote for the following reasons:

a) Tuomas is a superior songwriter
b) Marco is a superior vocalist
c) Nightwish's lyrics go beyond: I don't give a flying **** mother******
d) Nightwish has covered Gary Moore, CoB has covered Britney Spears.
16.06.2010 - 10:13
Ankh Amen
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 31.05.2010 at 23:57

d) Nightwish has covered Gary Moore, CoB has covered Britney Spears.

Yes, it is an important difference. Totally agree
Anyway I dont't like CoB or Nightwish too much. When finnish metal, then Insomnium and Amorphis rock.
18.06.2010 - 12:08
Lachy
Account deleted
I love both. At first I preferred Nightwish but now im more of a bodom fan. Hard to compare them. Nightwish have more meaningful songs and CoB songs are extremely fast and shreadtastic
02.07.2010 - 23:48
Sulac
Ugh! Hard choice. Both are great bands!
I only like Nightwish's Dark Passion Play, but I like COB's just about everything, so 'll have to go with Bodom.
25.08.2010 - 07:36
JokiFeLaiho
Cobhc for sure;D:dcool:
----
Kill me, hurt me, fuck me, rape me,....u won't have me!hahahaha :D
26.08.2010 - 03:25
whatsacow
OMG! What a surprise? I had no idea COB would win...

Its truly amazing that somebody would actually think otherwise. I mean you chose the most mainstream finnish metal band, and compared it to the most well know metal band. And everyones going to pick COB simply because they know the name.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?