03. Void Of Crown
04. The Blind Almighty
05. Vicious Woman
06. Liars To The Cross
07. Dead Man's Ashes
08. Under The Capricornus
09. Origin Of Storm
10. Torn

Aren't family enterprises just heart warming? The line-up Finnish Melodic Black) metal band Goathemy consists of three Ruohoniemi's under the nicknames of Goath (guitars, shrieks), Mr. Thing (guitar, acoustic guitar), Dark (clean vocals). The line-up is further completeled by Ghost (drums), Benedictus-XXX (lead bass) and Bargor (bass). Under the moniker Goathemy have their second album out, appropriately titled "Torn" (keep reading).

The album opens up nicely with a cool acoustic piece and surprising, fresh and clean female vocals. The required musical skill is obviously present and the vocals are a welcome additional touch. So far, so good. However, after a couple of songs the vocals really started working on my nerves. Their domination over the songs and atmosphere could have been a good idea if the vocals were varied enough, but the female vocal lines are too bland to be the most prominent element. It doesn't help that at least half of the riffs are stale either. And a last bit of criticism, Goath's vocals are also too bland and weak to help this record (and for the record, whispering "god damned" does not result in the desired sinister atmosphere). It's all stuff we've heard before and better too. Though, after a few more plays the album opened up a little more to me.

I'm convinced that they can do a lot better though, because the details often show the better side of this album. Whether it are the few odd moments were the vocal lines really do work, when the band slows down the riffs suddenly get a sinister touch, all of the acoustic interludes showcase constantly interesting.

All in all, "Torn" is an album that has me... (insert drum roll) torn. On the one side it shows a band that has more than sufficient skill and quite a few good musical ideas, on the other hand, the album sounds like a rush job and a lot of songs need more thought put it into them. It's all too generic and poorly worked out to hold the attention throughout the entire album. I haven't heard their previous album "Frostland", but I'm curious to how much progress they've made since the two years that passed between both albums. For now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, a new (and improved) album might bring brighter prospects for this band. Right now this is an album of missed chances.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written on 04.01.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 50 users
05.01.2009 - 14:46
annodomini

First album was a real masterpiece, but it seems it was just a one album explossion... Absolutely big dissapointment.
----
the riddle wants to be...
05.01.2009 - 14:47
Rating: 6
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by annodomini on 05.01.2009 at 14:46

First album was a real masterpiece, but it seems it was just a one album explossion... Absolutely big dissapointment.

Was the first album that good? As I said in the review, I haven't heard it, but perhaps I should check it out. Or wait for a third and hopefully once again good album.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.01.2009 - 14:50
annodomini

Yes it was definetelly a great piece of black metal. Read DerRozzergarten review it is probably really good about that album.
----
the riddle wants to be...

Hits total: 4489 | This month: 9