Metal Storm logo
Virtual band

05.01.2009 - 21:19
Macedonia
Account deleted
I didnt found better place to thread this When I say virtual band I think on a band formed by few chat friends from different countries. Imagine that: for example I am from Macedonia, the band guitarist is from Australia, the drummer is from Canada. We play our parts of the song separeted and than we make it one(with program). Of course there wont be gigs at all. What do you think about virtual band?
05.01.2009 - 22:01
If it's good music and every member is willing to take time to record their parts, then people will like. I'm sure it has been done before and I'm sure they've hold closer relations with each other than bands that actually meet up to play.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
05.01.2009 - 22:30
A.J Thunder
Well i think their would be nothing strange about it and like in the previous post allready said, if it works it works.

I remember reading a article in Inferno (a Finnish metal zine) about an grindcore band featuring members from Finland and some other country (Brazil maybe..) that worked in that way. They have met a couple of times but they worked both at their homes recording the stuff and then sent it over to the one that eh.. makes the songs (puts the shit together).

And im sure there's a lot of this kinds of bands out there.
06.01.2009 - 20:33
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I think the idea of a virtual band is a sound thing to do of course because I've done this before and it turned out fine...there is a progressive metal band called Hex that does this...the guitarist/keyboardist/vocalist lives on one side of the USA and the bassist/drummer lives on the other side...
13.04.2011 - 22:46
ADIresiduos
Good idea to fool around with, but not for the serious musician. Nothing compares to the real thing!
27.04.2011 - 18:26
jazar94
There's a band in Europe, or Australia, somewhere around there, called Slice The Cake. They formed over ultimate-guitar.com, and they've never seen eachother in person.

I personally think it's a good way to practice writing with a band, but that's about it.
07.05.2011 - 15:05
Archetype
The only reason I haven't done this yet is because I don't have the means to properly record guitar. If I did, I'd be doing this for sure.
08.05.2011 - 06:56
Yasmine
It'd be good for 1-2 albums/ 10-15 songs, get new people some experience.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
08.05.2011 - 07:43
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I'd love to do something like this someday. One of my goals in life is to form a thrash band and release at least one quality full length album. It would be a lot easier to find somebody interested in making a thrash band via the internet than in real life.
08.05.2011 - 10:07
Yasmine
I'd do any sort of lead for any type, don't care what style. But it'd be fun just to float it around out there as a future resume.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
09.05.2011 - 09:28
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Haha we had this discussion in a last fm group as well, would be fun though. One person starts off with whatever he wants, records it and sends it to the next. The next guy either adds layers and new material and passes it on. The fun part would be to see what the final track would sound like.
I play bass, didge and the moorsing (jew's harp)
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
09.05.2011 - 10:42
Yasmine
I think if you want good songs everyone needs Gpro or some way to tab songs off rather than trying to record an entire song with one person writing it.
----
09.05.2011 - 11:37
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
I don't know how to tab with GP. I actually don't know how to tab at all. Plus it would be impossible to tab a didge. Thats why the whole recording of a track sounded cool to me. The production might suck, but it still would be fun, and you never know what you could get.
----

Last fm
Don't click here
09.05.2011 - 12:00
Yasmine
It's extremely easy, and honestly I'd shoot for just the basics on the first song and add anything else later, keys, etc all later. Gotta make sure we can do a basic song first. Not too basic but enough to have it done in a short time.
----
09.05.2011 - 13:25
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Has anyone here done this yet?
----

Last fm
Don't click here
09.05.2011 - 14:59
Yasmine
I have written a song this way with like 5-7 people, but not recorded anything for this before.
----
09.05.2011 - 17:10
ANGEL REAPER
I did once....results are terrible ....because the guy in charge of mixing dint know a thing about that....
But that is still good idea...i wish i could find somebody willing to do drum programming for me....i suck in that....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
25.05.2011 - 08:49
Sammol
I've been wanting to form one, still looking for musicians.

A requirement should be All members must know how to use a DAW and record.
25.05.2011 - 10:45
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
I think most musicians know how to use a DAW and record
----

Last fm
Don't click here
25.05.2011 - 15:30
ANGEL REAPER
Wtf is DAW?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
25.05.2011 - 18:14
Tranquillizer
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 25.05.2011 at 15:30

Wtf is DAW?

Digital Audio Workstation
25.05.2011 - 18:19
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Guest on 25.05.2011 at 18:14

Wtf is DAW?

ok is that a particular piece of software or name for a whole branch of audio software? link please...
BTw i worked in few audio softwares and recorded things...check out the link....
http://www.myspace.com/mydeadgirlfriendserbia
----
25.05.2011 - 18:24
Tranquillizer
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 25.05.2011 at 18:19

Wtf is DAW?

ok is that a particular piece of software or name for a whole branch of audio software? link please...
BTw i worked in few audio softwares and recorded things...check out the link....

A general term for software like Pro Tools, FL Studio, Magix Music Maker, LMMS, Ardour and such
25.05.2011 - 18:28
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Guest on 25.05.2011 at 18:24

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 25.05.2011 at 18:19

Wtf is DAW?

A general term for software like Pro Tools, FL Studio, Magix Music Maker, LMMS, Ardour and such

ahhh...thanks man i indeed didnt know that therm....
BTW of course i worked in few of the kind ....
----
25.08.2011 - 21:29
Glaucus
...Hahaha.

This is just funny because I've been playing guitar for around a decade now and have been in bands... But NEVER recorded until... Last week.

I had a crash course on DAWs and recording two weekends ago and I'm plunging in head first, trying to get songs I've written years ago recorded from home.

Anyway! This virtual band idea is something I am currently involved in. My group split due to the members finding jobs and they moved a ways away, but now we're recording our individual parts and sending them to one another before mixing.

Bad thing is, no drummer. =\ We could never find one good enough, really, haha. So, instead, I am going to be purchasing EZ-Drummer soon.

Drum machines have no soul, I know... But, neither does Metal. x)
----
"Pretty easy work, for a God." - Freya ~ Valkyrie Profile