Metal Storm logo
Politics in Metal (Help???)

Original post

Posted by Metal_Militia, 05.01.2009 - 23:39
//Hey all, for my Poly Rad (political radicalism) class in high school, we recently got assigned this project on "protest music." To tell you the truth, id love nothing more to scare the living shit out of these dumb ass hippies in my class by playing some metal. What me and my buddy have to do is, create a playlist of 10 songs that are about politics in POST 2001!!!!!!!!!! I'd love to stick with the metal theme and i was wondering if you guys could help me out here and give me some suggestions on what to use. I've already got the idea of some Megadeth anything else would be really appreciated. Also, feel free to just discuss politics and metal!//
08.01.2009 - 07:04
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Hmmmm Chains of Power by Kataklysm can be used too, if you like it
12.01.2009 - 17:51
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Hmm I think Kalmah is pretty political...well not per-se but they sing about general issues - Bird Flue for one (Groan of the Wind). Unlike the normal trend of bands singing about how depressed and peeved off they are about everything.
12.01.2009 - 18:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Sepultura - Refuse/Resist

Great song, almost a classic and a really political one. I also think that there's somegood stuff to say about this songs... Max was really influenced by the way the politics were in his country. It's a good cry from the countries of the "third world"
I
don't need to say anything else but:

RESIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIST!!!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.01.2009 - 05:10
Metal_Militia

Well, this project is due wed and i just got some news, THEY HAVE TO BE U.S. bands...YAY! Well that throws out Kalmah unfortunatly. Bummer. Any ideas guys?? Remember, post 9/11, U.S. bands only
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

15.01.2009 - 07:43
Fhuesc

Does your teacher knows anything about metal?, is the answer is no, them what does it matters, you can say that Kalmah are from Alabama or Texas or both.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
15.01.2009 - 19:24
HugeTheConqeror

I'm surprised no one (including myself) has mentioned Misery Index. They just released a new album, and all of the tracks are political. With sogns like "We Never Come in Peace," "Theocracy," and "American Idolatry" I'm sure that there would be something that would meet the requirements for your assignment.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
26.01.2009 - 10:26
Uller

Blinded By Faith has a lot of political content in their lyrics and they are from canada, and they kick ass!:banger:
----
26.01.2009 - 15:09
Freezer

You might try some Nevermore track, usually they deal with religion and conformism, but some kind of political stance might be pulled out from their lyrics.
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
26.01.2009 - 15:19
Darkside Momo
Retired
And Immolation's 2004 album, Harnessing Ruin.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
26.01.2009 - 15:34
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Being the thrasher you are (were?), hopefully before the Wednesday you would have thought of Exodus' Scar Spangled Banner/War Is My Shepherd, besides the already mentioned Children of a Worthless God? (Or are they too hippieish for you? ) How did the thing go?
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
28.05.2009 - 23:17
Andresopeth

Every song of Rage Against The Machine
29.05.2009 - 01:24
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Andresopeth on 28.05.2009 at 23:17

Every song of Rage Against The Machine

Quite right, but RATM is not metal, my friend.

Old Metallica albums have some stuff... Disposable Heroes, Fight fire with Fire...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
29.05.2009 - 16:55
Andresopeth

Sorry, but i don't agree, the fact of Rage Against The Machine don't play Trash. Death, or Heavy metal does not mean is not metal at all, they play nu metal even when Zack de la Rocha's voice is rapper.

And yes, Metallica old stuffs have to do with politics: One, Harvester Of Sorrow, And Justice For All
Also Guns N' Roses-Civil War is a quiet song but with a very explicit lyrics
31.05.2009 - 02:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
It's amazing how many people cannot understand "POST 2001"...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.05.2009 - 12:14
toxicrisis

Kreator - Radical Resistence, song of the Communist Manifesto .
01.06.2009 - 20:23
TheOwl

Kreator would be a good choice if you can afford a non US band....
SLAYER's God Hates Us All was actually released on the 11 Sept 2001 so that would be a good reference.... check some of their lyrics too.... and good luck, post here how it was like....
22.11.2009 - 21:59
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Machine Head's The Blackening had a bunch of political topics in it. Also, Revocation's Existence is Futile had a couple, Dismantle the Dictator and Deathonomics (I'm not sure, but it might not have that a, Dethonomics maybe?).
22.11.2009 - 22:10
thesabbathfan

Anything Dying Fetus post-2001.
----
22.11.2009 - 22:50
Angel Of Mercy

For The Greater Good Of God- Iron Maiden...

In fact most maiden from A Matter Of Life And Death.
----
Your time will come.
23.11.2009 - 15:23
SerratedSyringe

Anything from Machinehead's Burn My Eyes album, also The chains of Power by Kataklysm (as mentioned by Dangerboner) ought to scare your hippie class mates, while providing sufficient political content. Good luck.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
23.11.2009 - 15:29
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.01.2009 at 18:12

Sepultura - Refuse/Resist

Great song, almost a classic and a really political one. I also think that there's somegood stuff to say about this songs... Max was really influenced by the way the politics were in his country. It's a good cry from the countries of the "third world"
I
don't need to say anything else but:

RESIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIST!!!

I'll probably never get tired of that song. It is amazing, they blew my mind with it when I saw them opening for In Flames four years ago. Became a fan after that show.
----