Metal Storm logo
The MS World Travel Guide

06.01.2009 - 12:21
tulkas
el parcero
Here's the thing: i know a lot of metalstorm users travel to different parts of the world whether it's for pleasure, work, studies, etc. So i thought, knowing that MS has users from practically all over the world we could have our own 'travel guide' to almost any part of the world. For instance, if someone wanted to come to Colombia he/she could just ask what could be recommended for them depending on their interests, location, or time of the year. Regular travel guides usually just give you the 'nice side' of travelling, but here we could give any kinda info, and real info, one may need or want from someone that knows the place presnally and knows how things work there.

So, i hope that at least some users may find this as a helpful tool for when they need to travel outside their city, state, or country and are able to get useful information from this.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
06.01.2009 - 12:31
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Romania(more specifically, bucharest)... the basics: if you arrive by plane on either airport take the BUS(783 or 131) to the city center("Piata Romana"), do not take the taxi, they'll overprice you like fuck. then take a taxi to get to wherever you wanna go.. simple huh?
06.01.2009 - 13:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Sweden , just one Stockhom, specely old town and Djurgarden(dont mix whit footy, hockey team :p ) are beatifull, also those watter ships in city, also go to Solna and Roasunda, then Upsalla , se old towna nd then take a car and hit you in A4 higway and go far far nort, belive me in summer you will see beautifull wiews, belive in me, its awesome, but when you cross Umea when midnight sun starts its we wounderfull, when you're in nordic parts try go to Lapland and mountain area you wont be disapointed , if it hepens pM me we can emty some litres of strong booze in top of hill :p
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.01.2009 - 21:03
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Canada

The VIA Rail is your best bet to travel in this country. I would suggest just driving on the Trans-Canada Highway from St. John's to Vancouver but it really depends on how much time you have. If you want to visit this country properly you need a good two weeks put aside for it. You also need a good chunk of cash because there are too many ways you need to travel around this country to get from one place to another. I would suggest taking a plane to St. John's and taking a ferry from there to Cape Breton. From there I would probably suggest renting to go from Cape Breton to Halifax. It's kinda tricky because paying to ride the VIA from one city to the next would probably be expensive. I'd check it out though because you could get some deals. You'd get on the Trans-Canada 1 I think from Cape Breton to Halifax and check that out. Nova Scotia is a beautiful place. The Trans-Canada One and Two are the best highway systems in Nova Scotia to drive because they have some really nice sites. Lawrencetown Beach and that whole road there shows some of the best of what Nova Scotia has to offer.

There then on out you'd just take the Trans-Canada out of Nova Scotia. There isn't much in New Brunswick so don't bother with it. You get into Quebec and you're on the 20. Lots of great skiing locations in Quebec like Mont Tremblant. Quebec City and Montreal (off of the 20) are beautiful places to spend a couple of days. Quebec is tricky because there are a lot of beautiful places up North that are worth checking out. Very mountianous and beautiful. From then out out you pass into Ontario and you're on the 401. Eastern Ontario there is nothing really...just get on the 417 actually somewhere before Ontario and drive up to Ottawa and check that out. Then drive down the 31 back onto the 401 and drive to Toronto I guess. Stay where for a few days I suppose and check out that whole area then continue on down to Niagara Falls. The 401 takes you all the way through Ontario. Ontario is a large province with a lot of beautiful diversity to check out. Western Ontario has some beautiful parts...beaches, flat lands and what not...I don't know anything about Western Canada but I know that one of my friends said it was fuckin boring to drive through to get to BC where a lot of action is in Vancouver. Calgary is apparently a great city to check out too before driving on the Trans into BC in the mountains...
07.01.2009 - 18:37
Deadgirl

There's way too much about Japan for one time, so uh... I might end up posting here a lot. : Don't know if many people plan to ever go there, though.

But for travelling within Japan.
Definitely get the Japan Rail Pass if you plan to travel a lot by train. Unlimited use of any Japan Railway line (in Tokyo this will be pretty much every train) including the bullet trains, anywhere in Japan. My 14 day ordinary pass was nearly $500, but it was easily worth it; if I had just bought all the train tickets would've been nearly $500 just to go up north to Iwate prefecture and back.
Needless to say, this is infinitely useful if you want to do a lot of sight-seeing in Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, etc.

Also, when you're on the trains make sure you watch the screen they have, with the little map on it, it will tell you the next stop. They do announce it in English and Japanese over a speaker, but I've always found it hard to hear/distinguish over general background noise. This doesn't apply so much to bullet trains, though, because they're much quieter on the inside and if you're on one you probably plan to be there for a while.

If you take the bus, pay close attention to the stops because they're also usually pretty hard to hear. It's always a good idea to keep a map of the bus stops on hand. And remember to push the button if you're getting off at the next stop. (That threw me off really bad, cause there's not a widely used bus system where I live; I'd never been on a bus like that before.)

Some random stuff...
Everyone here speaks English, which is good... If you need help you can go up to just about any employee wherever you are and ask in English; in general, if they can't help you they will try to find someone who can. This is especially true in stations and hotels. Most restaurants will have English menus, or else they'll have images on their menus; It's pretty easy to order food and stuff. Shops will turn around their little screen so you can see the total. In general if you're foreign they will go out of their way to accomodate you in Japan. Kyoto is a little different though, sometimes... They don't seem to like tourists as much, unfortunately, and it would happen repeatedly in Kyoto to myself and my group that we were deliberately ignored by employees. But if you're shopping like in a gift shop or something it'll be fine.

If you go to Kyoto, you should find a place to stay near Kyoto Station because it has a billion escalators and also it has everything you could possibly want or need. It's a train station with a giant shopping center above/below it, and I do mean they have EVERYTHING. And the top floor(s) has some pretty good restaurants with all kinds of food.
And in Kyoto in the summer, also be aware that it will be ridiculously humid. You will sweat like crazy if you do anything, ever. And a lot of buildings don't have air conditioning. x_x

There will be a 7-11/Family Mart/Sunkus/Lawson/other convenience store five minutes or less from anywhere you are in any city. Sometimes they are right across the street from each other. And they have all kinds of drinks, food, bread, umbrellas, cameras, batteries, phone cards, etc etc. Anything you could need or forget from home.

Oh, and don't go there in the summer unless you want to get rained on A LOT. Just about every day. And you will get completely soaked pretty much no matter what you do. (My school group made the mistake of walking instead of taking a bus, because it was really nice out in the morning. By the time we made it back to our hotel, I was completely drenched because it rained so much and so hard that it was dripping through my umbrella. o_o) Spring or autumn are probably better...

That's all I'm really thinking of for now. ^^;
----
Remember that you are mortal.