Metal Storm logo
Atheist

Original post

Posted by CrypticMyth, 17.05.2006 - 09:49
Ah..yes, Atheist - A wonderful oldschool technical death metal band, and my favourite band of all time. They've released three albums:
1.Piece Of Time
2.Unquestionable Presence
3.Elements

And I adore all three releases. All three of them are so unique and so diverse. The common aspect is probably the technicality that surrounds all three albums. I can never pick a favourite album if I was asked to, but I hold UP a tad higher in technicality than the other two, and I slightly fancy PoT, because it was the first Atheist album I heard.
So recent news is that they have re-united, which is a good thing. I hope they don't release an album actually, because even Atheist can't touch the legendary three albums . Of course, if they do release another mindnumber like the others, it would indeed be nice ....Your thoughts?
17.02.2007 - 17:33
Basso
Account deleted
I had the luck to catch theese guys perform the song "mother man" when they played at wacken. I didnt see to much though since I was totally exhasted from standing in line for 2 hours just to get my emperor booklets signed...

Sadly I didnt enjoy Atheist as much then as I do now. I would definitly try to see them live again if I could
17.02.2007 - 21:24
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Probably this had been said a lot of times before in this thread, but I consider Atheist a straight technical THRASH band... their influece for the whole technical death metal scene is obvious, but Atheist are thrasher---

And yes, I love them... "Piece Of Time" is a delightful masterpiece that doesn't lend a moment of breathe, with a superb technical work and a very blissful ambience... I also love "Elements" and its jazz-oriented sound, but it sounds much less natural than PoT...

Still hadn't the luck to listen to "Unquestionable Presence", but it ranks very high in my check list.
17.02.2007 - 22:07
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.02.2007 at 21:24

Probably this had been said a lot of times before in this thread, but I consider Atheist a straight technical THRASH band... their influece for the whole technical death metal scene is obvious, but Atheist are thrasher---

And yes, I love them... "Piece Of Time" is a delightful masterpiece that doesn't lend a moment of breathe, with a superb technical work and a very blissful ambience... I also love "Elements" and its jazz-oriented sound, but it sounds much less natural than PoT...

Still hadn't the luck to listen to "Unquestionable Presence", but it ranks very high in my check list.

Well, that's how old school DM sounds like. Song structures resemble more modern DM but the guitar tuning is indeed similar to thrash, IMHO
18.02.2007 - 02:46
ylside

Atheist on Graspop 2007 if anyone is interested.
22.02.2007 - 17:19
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Finally managed getting around and getting a album from them, 'Piece Of Time' released. They have such energy with the music is amazing, I couldnt sit still. Had to keep moving or banging my head along with it a little bit because, well, the music made me do it lol.

Why it took me so long to getting around in getting an Atheist album is beyond me. I love techinical technical death metal and only just got an album... Im kicking myself
----

Hellcunt Smurf
22.02.2007 - 18:05
Sunioj

@Markku thats true to a certain extent such as early Death or possessed but if you compare them to dismember or entombed I would say that the differrence is more apparent.
01.03.2007 - 09:34
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
I'll be going to see these guys play next month in Ft Lauderdale. It sure is a hell of improvement over bands playing the venue as of recently like Cradle of Filth.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
19.04.2007 - 01:53
rageing atheist
Account deleted
In my opinion Atheist is the most wonderful band that has ever existed on this planet and I am deeply in love with all of their albums, though at first Elements was little hard to get into at first. My favorite album would be Unquestionable Presence which is imho the best example of "thinking man's metal" I've ever heard. I love just about everything about this band. One aspect of Atheist I'm especialy fond of are the lyrics, as the lyrics on Unquestionable Presence are closest any band's lyrics have came to representing my world view and feelings most of the time, especially on songs like Mother Man, An Incarnation's Dream and Retribution, the thing I love about Atheist lyrics is that they are intelligent yet relatively staightforward and not too obscure and "deep", for I find it kind of annoying when bands I love use lyrics where I have a hard time trying to figure out what they are going on about ( for example Enslaved, Arcturus and Opeth). Also I think that Atheist had much more interesting leads an drums than most metal bands.Anyway I was wondering how many are there Atheist fans whose favorite abum isn't Unquestionable Presence, for it seems that all Atheist fans (myself included) think of this album as their highest peak. Just to wrap it up I would also like to state that Piece of Time is probably the best debut album I've heard so far.
20.04.2007 - 04:51
rageing atheist
Account deleted
It seems that this tread is kind of inactive, which is truly a shame, and as a coincidence while sitting behind my computer at 4:31 AM, trying to finish a geography homework it suddenly occured to me that someone should try to ressurrect it, and given the general lack of interest by people who could theoretically be much more appropriate for the task I'm afraid I have to volunteer for the job, so here's my futile attempt: I would like to hear how many people think of Piece of Time or Elements as their finest album? I must admit though that rather predictably my favorite is still Unquestionable Presence. Speaking of which, I find it totally beyond comprehension how people can dislike said album as I've tried but still can't anything not to like about this perfect example of brilliant songwriting skills, and some of finest and most original extreme metal musicianship. Anyway, it seems that people who hate it generally have immature and frankly shite music tastes, and well they're the only ones to lose if they can't appreciate this album. Anyway I realise that my post's a bit all over the place and lacks stucture, but hope that this will not be perceived as spam, rather than an expression of deep appreciation for a brilliant record, by a young bored-to-death metalhead. Anyway I wanted to know how many Atheist fans don't think of UP as their favorite Atheist record?
20.04.2007 - 06:57
Markku
Account deleted
Rageing Athiest, there has been discussion in this thread as you can see so its not a totally dead thread, plus there was all that discussion in the old thread too. Talking about picking a a favourite album, well its difficult when it comes to bands who manage to be original with each of their works. I really can't choose between UP and Elements.
Now about people who dislike this album, you can't say their tastes are shite, its just how things are in music some people like some stuff and some other(although I agree 100% that Atheist is just brilliant), on the other hand yes, in metal there many narrow-minded guys as in everywhere else.
20.04.2007 - 09:31
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Since i gonna miss them at this Hellfest , downloaded some 1992's Atheist bootleg 'Atheist - Live in Tampa, FL 1992' ..... preet bad recording but energy and performance

I am happy with 3 albums they gave us
20.04.2007 - 14:35
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Ok, I admit that people who don't like UP are not guaranteed to have bad music tastes, I was just a little pissed off by some narrow minded reactions to it that I heard recently, and what I meant was that I've noticed that people who can't appreciate it tend to have bit boring music taste, though come to think of it my dismissal of people who don't like Unquestionable Presence was also bit narrow minded. Anyway I just wanted to see some more Atheist discussion, and frankly I didn't know about the old thread, as I'm fairly new to metalstorm.
20.04.2007 - 14:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
YES seeing Atheist WITH Cynic at Hellfest, a shame that Pestilence won't be there
Or the three brilliant original death innovators would have been present.
Although I am a huge fan of UP and Elements I still always somehow prefer the rawness of Piece of Time.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.04.2007 - 00:10
Deadsoulman

Well, here I agree with you again
I like the rawness of the sound of Piece Of Time and somehow I also find it to be their most direct and catchy album. That riff at the end of "On They Slay" made me pass for a psychopath several times in the subway
21.04.2007 - 00:15
Markku
Account deleted
PoT indeed has more of that groove and less chaotic riff alternations as on UP.
21.04.2007 - 00:37
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I like the more confrontational "in your face" lyrical approach on Piece of Time , especially on No Truth and I Deny and Piece of Time has probably my favorite vocals of the Atheist albums, especially on Beyond, where it's very hard to keep track of the lyrics even when reading along.
21.04.2007 - 02:29
Markku
Account deleted
Talking about the vocals. Have you noticed how Kelly's sounded in the 2006 live videos, either the sound quality was bad or his vocal chords have been damaged?
21.04.2007 - 03:28
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I checked the videos at Youtube, and his vocals seemed lower, and more typical, which is a shame, as his vocal delivery on Atheist albums was awesome, and imho he was one of the best death metal vocalists.
21.04.2007 - 10:34
Anderuzu
Account deleted
I ha the first album Pice Of Time on LP but i sold if for a bit amount of money =)
21.04.2007 - 16:06
Stigmatized
I have a question. Do most people here consider Elements to be Atheist's worst album? It sounds less metal to me, but I still thought it was excellent, and it ranks right up there with the other 2 albums IMO. Plus, it was written, recorded and mixed in 40 days.
22.04.2007 - 01:21
rageing atheist
Account deleted
No way do I consider Elements as their worst album, as no Atheist album is worthy of the "worst" title, I think that different Atheist albums represent different things, and in a way are separate entities and none of them is superior to other two, each has its own appeal ( the fact that I find Unquestionable Presence my favorite Atheist album doesn't mean that it's the best, it's just most important for me, the Atheist album I love most being my first Atheist album and all). Anyway I find that Elements is a little underappreciated for it's less brutal approach, which is a shame, as we shouldn't judge albums on how they sound compared to bands' previous efforts, instead each album should be taken on it's own terms and should be considered an unique piece.
28.06.2007 - 09:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Saw them and interviewed tham at Hellfest, the show was great and Tthey are great guys to talk to.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.06.2007 - 21:48
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.06.2007 at 09:29

Saw them and interviewed tham at Hellfest, the show was great and Tthey are great guys to talk to.

Would it be possible for you to post this interview here at Metalstorm? I'm sure all 70 Atheist fans here would appreciate it
29.06.2007 - 19:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 28.06.2007 at 21:48

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.06.2007 at 09:29

Would it be possible for you to post this interview here at Metalstorm? I'm sure all 70 Atheist fans here would appreciate it

The interview will be up in one or two weeks. As well as the interview with Cynic I did yesterday night.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.06.2007 - 20:14
Deadsoulman

Hehe IMO Atheist was the best show of Hellfest, along with Megadeth (and Cynic). I was just in front of the scene, with Mikael Stanne right beside me and they almost killed me when they played On They Slay (my favourite song of theirs) and Piece Of Time Tony Choy really is one hell of a bass player btw
29.06.2007 - 23:02
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Deadsoulman on 29.06.2007 at 20:14

Hehe IMO Atheist was the best show of Hellfest, along with Megadeth (and Cynic). I was just in front of the scene, with Mikael Stanne right beside me and they almost killed me when they played On They Slay (my favourite song of theirs) and Piece Of Time Tony Choy really is one hell of a bass player btw

I'll probably be mad at myself until retirement for not attending that festt. But Choy indeed is hell of a bass player, he uses all his fingers I've heard.
30.06.2007 - 01:45
graywolf87
Account deleted
can't believe they recorded element in 40 days...and the sound still as if they took 6 months or more. Choy is one hell of a good bassist I can feel his unique touch and playing on every band he played.
01.07.2007 - 18:31
Darkside Momo
Retired

WHAT ? Mikael with in the public or were you in the photographer's pit ?
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
01.07.2007 - 21:01
Deadsoulman

Written by Darkside Momo on 01.07.2007 at 18:31

WHAT ? Mikael with in the public or were you in the photographer's pit ?

No I was in front of the stage, down there with everybody

I don't know if you remember, but at the en of Dark Tranquillity's show, Mikael Stanne mentioned that right after them on the Main Stage there would be one of his favourite bands ever playing, Atheist. 45 minutes later, Atheist starts playing, I turn my head and I see Stanne just there next to me, headbanging and looking like a little boy in a candy shop lol. He was about as happy to see Atheist as everyone else
02.07.2007 - 05:37
AlGore
Account deleted
I just picked up Atheist's Piece of Time album under the label Relapse - Cult Classic. Its a compilation of PoT and the demos "Beyond", "Hell Hath No Mercy", and a demo they put out before they were Atheist when they played under the moniker R.A.V.A.G.E.R "On The Slay".