Metal Storm logo
Atheist

Original post

Posted by CrypticMyth, 17.05.2006 - 09:49
Ah..yes, Atheist - A wonderful oldschool technical death metal band, and my favourite band of all time. They've released three albums:
1.Piece Of Time
2.Unquestionable Presence
3.Elements

And I adore all three releases. All three of them are so unique and so diverse. The common aspect is probably the technicality that surrounds all three albums. I can never pick a favourite album if I was asked to, but I hold UP a tad higher in technicality than the other two, and I slightly fancy PoT, because it was the first Atheist album I heard.
So recent news is that they have re-united, which is a good thing. I hope they don't release an album actually, because even Atheist can't touch the legendary three albums . Of course, if they do release another mindnumber like the others, it would indeed be nice ....Your thoughts?
02.07.2007 - 15:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
The interview is finally up, enjoy.

http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/interview.php?interview_id=424
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.07.2007 - 20:44
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by Deadsoulman on 01.07.2007 at 21:01

Written by Darkside Momo on 01.07.2007 at 18:31

Written by Deadsoulman on 29.06.2007 at 20:14

Hehe IMO Atheist was the best show of Hellfest, along with Megadeth (and Cynic). I was just in front of the scene, with Mikael Stanne right beside me and they almost killed me when they played On They Slay (my favourite song of theirs) and Piece Of Time Tony Choy really is one hell of a bass player btw

WHAT ? Mikael with in the public or were you in the photographer's pit ?

No I was in front of the stage, down there with everybody

I don't know if you remember, but at the en of Dark Tranquillity's show, Mikael Stanne mentioned that right after them on the Main Stage there would be one of his favourite bands ever playing, Atheist. 45 minutes later, Atheist starts playing, I turn my head and I see Stanne just there next to me, headbanging and looking like a little boy in a candy shop lol. He was about as happy to see Atheist as everyone else

Yeah, I remember he said that. I was looking for him on the sides of the stage, not in the crowd ! This guy is really awesome !
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
17.07.2007 - 20:41
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
Metalhead.ro conducted an interview with Kelly Shaefer on June 21, 2007 at Studio Martin (Bucharest, Romania) and you can watch it at this location.
17.07.2007 - 22:17
ylside
staff
Written by White Winter Sun on 17.07.2007 at 20:41

Metalhead.ro conducted an interview with Kelly Shaefer on June 21, 2007 at Studio Martin (Bucharest, Romania) and you can watch it at this location.

Thanks a lot, found some other interesting video interviews aswell!
19.07.2007 - 20:08
Tod_Engel
Does Atheist have some free mp3's available somewhere?

Edit: Ok, found some. But which Atheist album is best to start listening to them?
They seem really interesting.
19.07.2007 - 22:54
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
Written by Tod_Engel on 19.07.2007 at 20:08

Edit: Ok, found some. But which Atheist album is best to start listening to them?

Unquestionable Presence. I'd say it's their best work and a perfect starting point.
21.07.2007 - 05:03
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
They were back together there...I think they're coming out with a new album...I really hope to hear new Atheist
21.07.2007 - 14:21
orathac
Account deleted

dont DL!!!! buy its so cheap...
about the topic Atheist remind a lot from Death (band) a really enjoy them and mostly their lyrics kick-ass
21.07.2007 - 17:48
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.07.2007 at 05:03

They were back together there...I think they're coming out with a new album...I really hope to hear new Atheist

They wont release anything under the name Atheist, but most probably some of the memebrs are making new music.
21.07.2007 - 19:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by BV on 21.07.2007 at 06:29

Yeah they keep playing a few shows, i think they just did Graspop. Hopefully they do a tour or something.

For more info on the current status of Atheist read the inetrview I did with them at Hellfest.
And btw they won't be touring or recording anymore. The last show was in New York and all that is left now is a live dvd which they are planning to release.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.07.2007 - 19:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 21.07.2007 at 05:03

I can guarantee you that the tour through 2006 and the summer of 2007 is allt hat was left for them. They won't be recroding at all again.

Just read the interview I did with them at Hellfest.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.07.2007 - 23:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by BV on 21.07.2007 at 23:15

well that sucks, they should have at least done a final world tour or whatever, rather than just a show here and there.

This was a final world tour. It wasn't just a show here and there. I'll post ALL the dates tomorrow (will copy them of the back of my Piece Of Time T-shirt.)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.07.2007 - 23:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by BV on 21.07.2007 at 23:15

well that sucks, they should have at least done a final world tour or whatever, rather than just a show here and there.

This was a final world tour. It wasn't just a show here and there. I'll post ALL the dates tomorrow (will copy them of the back of my Piece Of Time T-shirt.)
The reason why they did a load of festivals was that in that way they could reach as many people as possible.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.07.2007 - 02:11
ylside
staff
In fact, check the video interview posted before. Kelly added a couple of tour dates.
22.07.2007 - 13:28
Tod_Engel
Written by Guest on 21.07.2007 at 14:21

dont DL!!!! buy its so cheap...
about the topic Atheist remind a lot from Death (band) a really enjoy them and mostly their lyrics kick-ass

That's sure. If I'll get some money soon, I'll buy it.
I checked their myspace, songs uploaded there are really good. They're a lot more Jazz influenced than Cynic for example.
23.07.2007 - 02:11
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I bought every Atheist album I have...yeah, I read that interview Marcel and that sucks balls because a new album from them would've been pretty sweet...
08.08.2007 - 13:27
orathac
Account deleted
i believe that atheist wont release something this time
08.08.2007 - 13:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Good and Bad news. Atheist might consider performing live in coutnries they haven't visited on their 2006-2007 tour. But they will never ever release any new material because they don't want to spoil the legacy they left behind. I think it is a wise move from this to just leave at those three masterpieces. Just look at how bands have gone on recording while they should have stopped and by recording crap have tainted their legacies.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.08.2007 - 21:39
ylside
staff
I am in fact very proud of Atheist NOT recording anything new.
10.08.2007 - 14:38
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Me too, it would be a shame if they would mess up their legacy.
10.08.2007 - 14:47
Pinusar
Account deleted
Then Atheist seems to have achieved perfection or near-perfection with their releases, because as it seems, most fans don't even really want them to release new material but find all they need in the 3 albums they made. That can't be said about a lot of bands.

Or maybe its a wrong imrpession.
16.08.2007 - 00:24
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'm also glad that they aren't recording anything new. Whatever they come up with probably will not be as good as their first three albums...but then again, tons of bands are reforming lately and releasing some great stuff...

I finally got Piece of Time the other day. It actually might be my favorite album by them because it's more straightforward, but still insanely technical.
15.12.2007 - 19:14
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Written by ylside on 09.08.2007 at 21:39

I am in fact very proud of Atheist NOT recording anything new.

Aye! I'm so happy. If they want to release something, then they should do it under a different banner...
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
31.01.2008 - 21:49
Lord TJ
I kept trying to search these guys everywhere, and I could never find them, want to know why? Because I kept searching Athiest.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
01.02.2008 - 02:19
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Um...why are you guys happy about them not recording anything new? I'm sure it would be awesome...and under a different banner? You mean like...different name?
03.02.2008 - 13:54
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I'm happy enough with the old Atheist albums and I liked the way Kelly Schaeffer explained that they're not going to record anything new because he thinks that one can't create this kind of music in a reunion situation.
05.02.2008 - 22:30
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Written by Guest on 01.02.2008 at 02:19

Um...why are you guys happy about them not recording anything new? I'm sure it would be awesome...and under a different banner? You mean like...different name?

I'm afraid that they'll tarnish the legendary status of the Atheist that they created in a different time, when they were much younger and when they were probably smoking A LOT more pot. Of COURSE I'll be happy if the guys release anything new together, but it'd be really cool if they call themselves something else, other than Atheist, unless the music is going to be in the very same vein, which I doubt.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
06.02.2008 - 00:17
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
You elitist fucks. Joke, joke. But seriously, I hate when people say by releasing something new it will "tarnish" their other albums and their past. It's just that, THE PAST. It can not be changed. I'm pretty sure 'Show No Mercy' is still awesome even if someone thought 'Diabolus In Musica' wasn't. The same goes for any band who's put out material their "fans" didn't enjoy. I just dope these guys are doing it out of personal feeling and not public (being the Metal community) opinion.
----
The force will be with you, always.
06.02.2008 - 03:44
sackz
Account deleted
people change over years of living, some get poorer , some get richer, what ever , and that will always play in the role of writing new material,.... where are you at in your life and what is happening will make it's way into the music... hell, look at metallica. once they got comfortable and had money , it showed in the music they where doing... what they need is to go broke and struggle ...then they could write another kick ass album.
06.02.2008 - 03:46
sackz
Account deleted
oh and as for atheist ?? i totally dig all their stuff. the older albums i like more ,but i try to see where the band is going when ever a new album comes out. if i get it cool , if not maybe i will listen to it a year later and dig it.