10. Like Callisto To A Star In Heaven
11. Shogun
12. Poison, The Knife Or The Noose [Special Ltd. Edition bonus]
13. Upon The Shores [Special Ltd. Edition bonus]
14. Iron Maiden [Iron Maiden cover] [Special Ltd. Edition bonus]

Disc II [DVD]
+ The Making Of Shogun
+ Shogun: The Riffs - Instructional Videos

Trivium's latest album Shogun is one of the pleasant surprises for me this year, although I am new to the band and to the genre they play, which I would define as Thrash/Metalcore. To Thrash I am of course not new, but Metalcore is something that has never attracted me, but as I said Shogun surprised me, and I do think it deserves some attention from fans of both old school Thrash and all kinds of new bands that represent the genre. To be frank I was even a little blown away by this album after just the second listen, and I was even thinking about reviewing this album without checking out the rest of Trivium's discography, but I did listen to the other three albums, so the review will be objective.

So what actually astonished me so much? Very simple; the songwriting. I am a fan of catchy songs, which Shogun has in abundance. Songs like "Kirisute Gomen," "Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis," the chorus on "Insurrection," to which I just want to bang my head and never stop, and, of course, the epic title track "Shogun" are examples. Most of other songs are great as well. They basically follow the same formula, which Trivium have used throughout all their albums: Metallica, Iron Maiden, and other great bands-influenced riffs, a combination of clean metalcorish vocals with grunts/shrieks, intense drumming, well-executed tasteful solos and great - almost flawless - production. Not much in the originality department, I agree, but this doesn't spoil my impression of this album because the songs are really good. And after all, being original is not the point of making music.

The thing that may bug people about this album is the aforementioned metalcorish vocals, which bring in a mainstream-like/pop sound to some songs, and which is probably one of the problems most haters of the band have with them. However, being a pretty open-minded listener, I have no grudge against this manner of singing.

My opinion is they have evolved a lot since their first album, gradually getting better, with Shogun becoming their best and most mature work. The last song, which traditionally is the longest on the album - this time the longest epic in Trivium's discography up to date - symbolizes the band's growth as well. Running for almost 12 minutes, it doesn't bore you because of all the riff changes, break-downs, and two great solos; a very memorable song.

As for the Limited Edition and the documentary DVD: they are not really worth attention. The two bonus tracks are nothing but mediocre just like the Iron Maiden cover. The Making of Shogun and Instructional videos are not that interesting either, but since the bonus materials cost only $3 more, go ahead and buy it, especially if you are a fan.

I want the last words of this review to be positive. Shogun is a great treat for an unbiased listener, so give it a shot, even if you are not into Metalcore.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 6
Production: 10

Written by K✞ulu | 10.01.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 25   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 340 users
12.01.2009 - 22:39
Rating: 8
Nicko's Nose

Great review of a great album! I would give it a 7 for originality though. It does have a lot of Maiden/Metallica/Dream Theater/other well known metal bands influenced riffs/melodies, but the overall sound is pretty unique imo.

Anyway, as always, most of the people who hate it hate it only because it's Trivium or because it's "untr00". It has a surprisingly good overall rating though... Looks like a lot of "tr00"/anti-Trivium metalheads forgot to rate it.
13.03.2009 - 01:56
Rating: 10
StratoDan1990

A brilliant review and couldn't agree more. Being a trivium fan for about 4 years, this is probebly their best album in terms of production, not originality though (I admit). After listening to Ascendancy in 2005 (which is the first album that actually got me into any kind of metal) I couldn't be happier with having Shogun in the collection, especially after 'The Crusade' which was mediocre.

I would recommend the dvd to the fans, it lasts up to about an hour in length.
14.03.2009 - 00:13
Rating: 2
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Shogun is nothing but formulated pop music with guitar solos. There isn't much of a difference between Trivium and The Spice Girls, probably even with sexual preference too lol.
14.03.2009 - 00:33
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
That's a rather bluntly stupid statement I must say, apart from being unsupported.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
06.04.2009 - 03:00
Rating: 9
Vanwarp

Very pleasantly surprised, enjoyed it all, from the beginning right to the very end.
----
"Only sick music makes money today." Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher (1844 - 1900)
28.04.2009 - 20:23
Xeros612

Solid album, nice progression/collection from their earlier sound.
25.06.2009 - 07:49
Rating: 7
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I was listening to this album and "Ascendancy" today while studying at the library, nice album indeed. I found this very influenced by other thrash metal bands and less influenced by the metalcore scene, and even if it is not the most original work ever done on the metal scene I'm sure that many people can enjoy this and headbang while listening to this album. They just need "something" more to creat a masterpiece, maybe if they start playing more on the Thrash metal side...
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
11.07.2009 - 17:10
Prisoner
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.07.2009 at 01:52

Written by Dangerboner on 14.03.2009 at 00:13

Shogun is nothing but formulated pop music with guitar solos. There isn't much of a difference between Trivium and The Spice Girls, probably even with sexual preference too lol.

What a stupid comment! Some people just pour crap out of their mouths without even giving any real reasons why they don't like something! That's the case here! You just say "for me this is shit" cause you don't have an open mind and don't know how to respect other people's tastes lol!

Get a life man, and if you don't like something don't say moronic things like that, just go listen to something else!

I totally agree with u. if u don't like it, don't post a comment for it. why are u wasting ur time browsing MS for this album if u hate the whole band!!!
for me Throes Of Perdition is the best.... So Great,musically and lyrically.
11.08.2009 - 16:07
Panterica

Great album indeed , definitely after The Crusade which was a let down (In my opinion).
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
29.08.2009 - 10:21
B.B.S.
Account deleted
Their best so far
20.11.2009 - 08:09
V8Thrasher

Definitely a huge evolution and a big step forward from their previous albums, it was one of my top albums of 2008. I can see them stepping into the Progressive/Thrash route, if only they dumped those metalcore vocals. anyways, great review, and great album
18.12.2009 - 03:38
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Great review, and it is indeed a great improvement. It's not so "bay area thrash ripoff" as The Crussade, and it is very very catchy, IMo thee is also an improvement n Matt's screaming. Tis bad isgettingbetter, growing up and making more mature albums.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
12.03.2010 - 00:19
His Eminence
Account deleted
This is actually the only Trivium album I really enjoy. It's a definite improvement since I found their last three albums either mediocre or just plain bad. On an unrelated note, their new song for God of War 3 is pretty good.
11.04.2010 - 07:25
JohnWayneGacy666

I actually reckon ascendancy was Triviums best album but This album is an instant classic I can't forget the words from the 12 minute epic shogun, and insurrection was one of my favorite tracks as well as Kirisute Gomen
11.04.2010 - 17:55
soadbyob
Account deleted
Amazing album, not as good as Acendancy, but damn fuckin close
14.04.2010 - 18:30
Kennoth

A pleasant surprise for me as well. I especially like Down From the Sky. The major downside for me however, would be the length of their song, and ESPECIALLY the lead track Shogun which lasts for 13 minutes
----
*insert something deep and profound*
14.04.2010 - 21:23
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Kennoth on 14.04.2010 at 18:30

The major downside for me however, would be the length of their song, and ESPECIALLY the lead track Shogun which lasts for 13 minutes

Why? Does it get boring? I love every second of the title track.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
14.04.2010 - 22:10
Kennoth

To be honest, it kinda does. It's a nice song, but I can't listen to something that long, no matter who's doing it.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
20.12.2010 - 04:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I think everyone had a great surprise with this album. i checked out tracks 1, 3 and 5 today, and indeed it's a great piece of music with some quite creative riffs. gonna listen to the whole album sometime these days.
06.01.2011 - 14:44
jimmy

I've been a fan of this band since the first time i heard 'like light to the flies', so i've checked out all their albums and this is the best one. thats not to say that the others aren't good, just that this one is a little better. and unlike the reviewer, i DO like the bonus tracks. they're good songs and a nice addition to the cd. as a fan you can definately see the progression of this band from their first album, ember to inferno, which is the only trivium album i cannot listen to, as it is not a good album and way too metalcore, through to shogun. i see a band thets getting better with every release.
my only problem with this album is all the screaming. i have nothing against screaming, but it just seems forced on some songs and out of place. like they're trying to hang on to their metalcore roots too hard when the songs dont demand it. i think heafy sounds better when he's singing clean or singing in the gruff, hetfield type vocal range. the screaming just seems misplaced to me.
still a great album though.
20.01.2011 - 01:26
Sonic MrSumo

Still not a huge fan of the raspy voice, but the clean vocals and music is excellent. They certainly are evolving nicely as a band, although The Crusade didn't do a lot for me.

The reviewer did a very good job, well done K?ulu. And I couldn't agree more, this album is NOT Metalcore, it's Thrash. So if you've disliked their previous albums because they had Metalcore influences, perhaps it's time to give them another try with Shogun.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
03.11.2012 - 20:43
fanapathy

Having listened to this album for a couple months, I can say that originally I thought it was better but my final score today would be 8.0

What attracted me to Trivium is the guitar riffs, the rhythm parts mostly. I do not think vocals are that good and that the guitar solos are nothing special.

It's just the damn good riffs that makes it for me. The intro to "Throes..", the solo riff in "Torn Between.." and the (pre)bass solo riff."Into the mouth.." main riff and solo riff, the main riff is beyond amazing and probably the best one on the album. Shogun from 07:15-09:40 is the most amazing part on the album IMO. And these are just some. Some songs are not that great and some choruses I find somewhat boring. Overall a very cool album with some awesome stuff to learn for guitar players
15.10.2013 - 21:57
Jokerslayer777

I dont like metalcore but this band is awesome
15.04.2014 - 21:05
telephonebear
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 14.03.2009 at 00:13

except i dont remember a spice girls song where anyone ever screamed "we'll take their fucking heads"
23.07.2014 - 22:34
Coolingsrock

This album was right before they fell off that cliff.its a long ways down with 2 albums under their belt before they hit the ground. talking about in waves and vengeance falls.

Hits total: 12160 | This month: 18