Metal Storm logo
New feature: Suggest bands to add

Original post

Posted by Ivan, 13.01.2009 - 15:55
We receive huge amount of requests for band addition, and sometimes it's hard to decide which bands should have priority. Hopefully this new feature will be able to simplify the whole process. The idea is that you suggest bands that you think should be featured on MS and vote up bands suggested by others. We then review the list and add bands starting from the top.

http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/band_suggestions.php
22.02.2009 - 20:29
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Since the "Why should it be on Metal Storm?" field is required, I wonder what are we supposed to write? I mean, maybe a band is neither that well-known nor has won notable prizes nor has been influential but still deserves to be added on MS.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
22.02.2009 - 22:28
Macedonia
Account deleted
Yeah, it is a nice tool.

BTW how many votes do a band need to be added in the list?
23.02.2009 - 00:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 22.02.2009 at 22:28

Not shore about it onme band was added whit 2 votes IMO , others whit more so it depends of genre and band
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.02.2009 - 06:10
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 22.02.2009 at 20:29

Since the "Why should it be on Metal Storm?" field is required, I wonder what are we supposed to write? I mean, maybe a band is neither that well-known nor has won notable prizes nor has been influential but still deserves to be added on MS.

Yeah at first I was also wondering that, but after looking at other peoples' suggestions, now I know. It's most likely because people will either suggest their band or their friend's band to be added, who probably have only released one demo at best, and well just look at all the non-metal bands being suggested. It's fucking ridiculous.
26.02.2009 - 12:33
TheBigRossowski

Written by Dangerboner on 23.02.2009 at 06:10

Written by AiwiAstwihad on 22.02.2009 at 20:29

Yeah at first I was also wondering that, but after looking at other peoples' suggestions, now I know. It's most likely because people will either suggest their band or their friend's band to be added, who probably have only released one demo at best, and well just look at all the non-metal bands being suggested. It's fucking ridiculous.

I've noticed Metal-Archives is FULL of that crap, bands with one demo that split up in 1999. What's the point?! Everyone just wants to get there band recognized, but geeeez. That's what myspace is for, lol.

I tried to add Archgoat, but someone beat me to it. More than likely it was Damnated
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
26.02.2009 - 19:20
RockeRoy

I suggested Pink floyd, but where i can't find it in the list now? it was there some days ago and had 4 points i think.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
26.02.2009 - 23:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by RockeRoy on 26.02.2009 at 19:20

I suggested Pink floyd, but where i can't find it in the list now? it was there some days ago and had 4 points i think.

It have gotten deleted for fairly obvious reasons. You are aware there are multiple pages to the list as well?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.02.2009 - 23:22
RockeRoy

Written by Doc G. on 26.02.2009 at 23:08

It have gotten deleted for fairly obvious reasons. You are aware there are multiple pages to the list as well?

ok? and the reason is that they are not metal? what about Jimmi hendrix and soundgarden? they are on the list... and i also think they should be even though Soundgarden is grunge, and grunge actually stopped the majority from getting into metal in the 90's, it was almoast just one band that carried the flag for metal in the 90's.. Pantera , but pink floyd had a major influence on metal, spesialy progressive metal like for instance Dream theater. And there are ALOT of metal heads that digg Pink Floyd, atleast where i come from.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
05.03.2009 - 14:39
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Guest on 22.02.2009 at 22:28

if the staff deems it a worthy add then it'll be added, if the staff deems it unworthy it won't be added, regardless of the numbers of votes
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
07.03.2009 - 10:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by RockeRoy on 26.02.2009 at 23:22

Written by Doc G. on 26.02.2009 at 23:08

ok? and the reason is that they are not metal? what about Jimmi hendrix and soundgarden? they are on the list... and i also think they should be even though Soundgarden is grunge, and grunge actually stopped the majority from getting into metal in the 90's, it was almoast just one band that carried the flag for metal in the 90's.. Pantera , but pink floyd had a major influence on metal, spesialy progressive metal like for instance Dream theater. And there are ALOT of metal heads that digg Pink Floyd, atleast where i come from.

A lot of Metalheads also enjoy classical music, doesn't give it a reason to be added. Secondly, I'm not here to defend the other bands of questionable suggestions, personally I wouldn't agree with a Soundgarden addition, and Jimi Hendrix I could care less either way.
----
- George Carlin
15.03.2009 - 03:42
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
If users are suggesting the bands and filling in the information, why can't pretty much any band that is metal just be immediately added by a mod/admin as at least a stub? I don't get why there are so many pending metal bands when, from my understanding, adding a stub with no information doesn't take much time at all.
15.03.2009 - 07:55
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Written by Dangerboner on 15.03.2009 at 03:42

If users are suggesting the bands and filling in the information, why can't pretty much any band that is metal just be immediately added by a mod/admin as at least a stub? I don't get why there are so many pending metal bands when, from my understanding, adding a stub with no information doesn't take much time at all.

It takes time to go through the suggestions, and it does not mean that if a user has a band as, for example, "Thrash Metal" that he is right. Plus can you imagine the inflow of edits that we'd receive if simply accept all the metal suggestions at once?

On daily basis, from the band suggestion page, we accept several of these pending suggestions.
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
28.03.2009 - 18:17
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Is thats put an end to "PM a staff member" as K7 asked before....and after it been added, is the suggester or the voters will be notified??? cause that what should be i guess..so he can start editing....anyway i liked this feature
28.03.2009 - 20:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by pazuzuovbabel on 28.03.2009 at 18:17

Is thats put an end to "PM a staff member" as K7 asked before....and after it been added, is the suggester or the voters will be notified??? cause that what should be i guess..so he can start editing....anyway i liked this feature

As far i know sugester gets not when band is edded but voter, have no idea,
----

apos;'
[image]
29.03.2009 - 08:26
Syk
myspace/bonerama
That's why you guys need to get voting! Notification:
Quote:
Suggested band added Marcel H. 29.03.2009 at 01:27 x
The suggested band you voted for, Rigor Mortis has been featured. The profile might still be missing some information, any help with adding it would be appreciated. Thanks!

[ Link ] [ PM to Marcel H. ]
I wasn't the original suggester.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
29.03.2009 - 18:41
DayFly

Is there some sort of way to find out whether a band has already been suggested and not accepted?
30.03.2009 - 14:46
Hellkommando

Someone help me get Blood Stained Dusk made visible! I added stuff and I want to see my hard work pay off. lol
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
30.03.2009 - 23:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hellkommando on 30.03.2009 at 14:46

Someone help me get Blood Stained Dusk made visible! I added stuff and I want to see my hard work pay off. lol

hen staff accept all ediits post it here
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=12761
----

apos;'
[image]
31.03.2009 - 03:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Syk on 29.03.2009 at 08:26

That's why you guys need to get voting! Notification:
Quote:
Suggested band added Marcel H. 29.03.2009 at 01:27 x
The suggested band you voted for, Rigor Mortis has been featured. The profile might still be missing some information, any help with adding it would be appreciated. Thanks!

[ Link ] [ PM to Marcel H. ]
I wasn't the original suggester.

I think you get that notification even if you just voted for the band. I've gotten this message many times for just voting for a band.
----
- George Carlin
01.04.2009 - 23:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
Tesla is added? I have tried to keep out of the "Metal or not" discussion, but if Tesla's added... well people, I urge you then to keep suggesting bands such as Queen and Aerosmith.
----
15.11.2009 - 19:41
JD
Account deleted
I hope someday Nirvana join Soundgarden & Alice In Chains in Metalstorm
16.11.2009 - 04:51
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Sorry, Nirvana was discussed but it was decided they wouldn't be added due to them being not metal.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
16.11.2009 - 19:03
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Raiden on 16.11.2009 at 04:51

Sorry, Nirvana was discussed but it was decided they wouldn't be added due to them being not metal.

But Soundgarden are?
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
17.11.2009 - 02:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Haddonfield on 16.11.2009 at 19:03

Written by Raiden on 16.11.2009 at 04:51

But Soundgarden are?

Yes they are a lot more metal than Nirvana. Even though persoanlly I wopuld more or less add Nirvavana as well but just being a border case.
Soundgarden, and also Alice In Chains are purely inspired by Black Sabbath whereas NIrvana are purely comign from a punk background.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.11.2009 - 02:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Warman on 01.04.2009 at 23:55

Tesla is added? I have tried to keep out of the "Metal or not" discussion, but if Tesla's added... well people, I urge you then to keep suggesting bands such as Queen and Aerosmith.

aerosmith i agree with you but certainly not Queen espcially due to their horrendous pop era
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.11.2009 - 22:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Inst it posible if staff reject eddet band or dealite it when member try edd it for new there soem emasige lile ''band was sugested before butw as rejected'' its weird how many times Pople try edd one band like one day Pink Floyd has 30 votes after 3 weeks 2 votes and its eb easyer if band rejected its not possibe suggest more
----

apos;'
[image]
19.11.2009 - 23:39
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Bad English on 19.11.2009 at 22:17

Inst it posible if staff reject eddet band or dealite it when member try edd it for new there soem emasige lile ''band was sugested before butw as rejected'' its weird how many times Pople try edd one band like one day Pink Floyd has 30 votes after 3 weeks 2 votes and its eb easyer if band rejected its not possibe suggest more

Well, it's already done with the Blacklist.
24.11.2009 - 17:15
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I've just submitted a vote for the mighty Living Colour! (I was going to submit them, but found that someone already did it. ) I have to say, I was surprised to find they weren't already on here... Hopefully they will be soon! Sure, they have some non-metal songs, but so do Faith No More! I think they have more than enough metal and metal influenced material to be included. Lets hope someone with the power to install them agrees.
26.11.2009 - 02:17
pdepmcp

Very nice new feature!

However I think the search method should be a bit more powerful. With more than 30 pages, voting for bands is almost impossible, because they disappear in the sea of unkown entries.

Maybe some sorting options would help too.
27.11.2009 - 20:44
Syk
myspace/bonerama
On that topic, I said something in the Ideas thread ../forum/topic.php?topic_id=8523&message_id=395358#m395358 but I got no response... and another idea four posts below that one.

edit - ...Also... are there any objective criteria regarding the adding/rejecting of a band that is admittedly hard rock, and not fully metal?
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays