Metal Storm logo
Metallica - To Be Inducted Into Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame announced its 2009 Inductees, one of them being Metallica. On April 4, 2009, the Induction Ceremony will take place in Cleveland for the first time since 1997. The 2009 Induction Ceremony will be broadcast live on Fuse TV.

According to a Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame press release, Metallica is the most successful heavy metal band of the past quarter centry. Metallica's line-up has primarily consisted of drummer Lars Ulrich, rhythm guitarist, vocalist James Hetfield, and lead guitarist Kirk Hammett, as well as current bass player Robert Trujillo. Longtime bassists for the band, the late Cliff Burton, and Jason Newsted, are also being inducted. Metallica's early releases included fast tempos, instrumentals, and aggressive musicianship that placed them as one of the "big four" of the thrash metal subgenre alongside Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax. The band earned a growing fan base in the underground music community and critical acclaim, with the 1986 release "Master of Puppets" described as one of the most influential and "heavy" thrash metal albums. The band achieved substantial commercial success with its self-titled 1991 album, which debuted at number one on the Billboard 200. With this release the band expanded its musical direction resulting in an album that appealed to a more mainstream audience.

The 2009 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame performer inductees were chosen by the 600 voters of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. Artists are eligible for inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twenty-five years after their first recording is released.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame honors the legendary performers, producers, songwriters, disc jockeys and others who have made rock and roll the force that it is in our culture. For over two decades, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation has been nominating and electing those figures, and honoring them at an annual ceremony that has become one of the most celebrated events of the year, and certainly one of the hottest tickets in rock.

All info here and on http://www.rockhall.com.

Source: rockhall.com
Band profile: Metallica
Posted: 15.01.2009 by S.K.Ø.M

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 66   Visited by: 397 users
15.01.2009 - 14:36
Enissa

Good, at last They have Remembered....
15.01.2009 - 15:15
Talvi

Lol why this
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
15.01.2009 - 16:01
VPeter

Metallica are a disgrace they don't deserve any kind of honour.
15.01.2009 - 16:10
Warman
Erotic Stains
They do deserve this more than any band IMO.
----
15.01.2009 - 16:15
Elio
Red Nightmare
Come on they deserve it.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.01.2009 - 16:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by VPeter on 15.01.2009 at 16:01

Yes, Peter we know you hate them but that does not mean they don't deserve to be included here. Without Metallica metal wouldn't be as we knew it. You would not have had Sabbat and therefore Skyclad f.e.
Metallica are actually one of THE MOST influential metal bands ever. The only bands more influential than them would be Black Sabbath and arguably Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

Saying Metallica shouldn't be here is like saying he Beatles shouldn't be here.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.01.2009 - 16:20
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
For me its a very normal news. congratulations to metallica & their fans.
15.01.2009 - 16:43
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Glad to see them being inducted in. It is nice the the Hall of Fame is covering all of the Rock and Roll spectrum and without a doubt Metallica is one of the most important bands.
----
(space for rent)
15.01.2009 - 16:47
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Cool! I'm glad for them. I wonder whether how many other bands of the Big Four will be inducted throughout the years.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
15.01.2009 - 17:01
deadbraincells

As much as Metallica has become a joke since the much-cursed black album and every piece of crap album released since, you have to admit that they were a huge influence on the thrash genre (and metal in general) from Kill 'Em All through to ...And Justice For All. If you were around when those albums were first released then you know what I mean - go on admit it, you know you had at least one of their albums, t-shirts, back patches, skateboards, etc.
15.01.2009 - 17:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by deadbraincells on 15.01.2009 at 17:01

..., skateboards...

I had Anthrax's skateboard didn't trust a Metallica one casue James broke his hand/arm using one
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.01.2009 - 17:14
In Bone Factory

Quote:
Yes, Peter we know you hate them but that does not mean they don't deserve to be included here. Without Metallica metal wouldn't be as we knew it. You would not have had Sabbat and therefore Skyclad f.e.
Metallica are actually one of THE MOST influential metal bands ever. The only bands more influential than them would be Black Sabbath and arguably Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

Saying Metallica shouldn't be here is like saying he Beatles shouldn't be here.

Its a deal
----
The End Is Nigh ...
15.01.2009 - 17:31
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'm glad they did make it. Unquestionably deserved.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
15.01.2009 - 18:09
matthioso

Congratulations to the band! They deserve this place because of everything they've released imo
----
www.seedofrock.be
15.01.2009 - 18:14
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by VPeter on 15.01.2009 at 16:01

perhaps you should pick up a copy of the "Get Thrashed" dvd...

frankly, i do not like the post "...And Justice for All..." albums until "Death Magnetic" - and even that potentially decent album is destroyed by pathetic production.

and even not liking anything they've released since most metalstormers were born, i still think to say they are a "disgrace" and "don't deserve any kind of honour" is an absolutely ludicrous comment.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.01.2009 - 18:15
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Most overrated band ever? But they deserve it, they're probably the largest metal band ever and that's what really counts.
15.01.2009 - 18:23
giok99

They had, have and will have inffluence on our "music" and even other styles. They deserve to be include in this HOF. Gratz to them
----
Nothing is real
15.01.2009 - 18:35
Inlé

"with the 1986 release "Master of Puppets" described as one of the most influential and "heavy" thrash metal albums."

hahaha. It's among one of the most melodic thrash metal albums I can think of. Funny stuff.
15.01.2009 - 19:03
minotaur13
Account deleted
Written by deadbraincells on 15.01.2009 at 17:01

As much as Metallica has become a joke since the much-cursed black album and every piece of crap album released since, you have to admit that they were a huge influence on the thrash genre (and metal in general) from Kill 'Em All through to ...And Justice For All. If you were around when those albums were first released then you know what I mean - go on admit it, you know you had at least one of their albums, t-shirts, back patches, skateboards, etc.

I agree to this...no matter what... i mean if it weren't for Metallica... people like me in this part of world would have never ever would have been able to get hold of metal...for me they were the launch pad into everything metal!...Congrats to metallica!...
15.01.2009 - 19:33
Luciferion

I think everyone knew it was gonna happen sooner or later. I think their influence alone warrants it.

p.s

ALL HAIL THE METAL LORD ... aka Lars.

p.p.s

I am not serious saying that so don't flame me heh.
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
15.01.2009 - 19:46
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Makes no difference, they were gonna go anyway. Metallica shoulda been inducted before Run DMC, though.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
15.01.2009 - 20:17
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Warman on 15.01.2009 at 16:10

They do deserve this more than any band IMO.

Totally.
Metal wouldn't be what it is today without them.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
15.01.2009 - 20:35
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Finally!
15.01.2009 - 21:51
Metal_Militia

Its about time
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

15.01.2009 - 21:54
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
About time. Still waiting for KISS to be inducted (sarcasm)
15.01.2009 - 22:11
-Soulreaper-

Bahhh, why not Iron Maiden or Judas Priest for induction? Just ridiculous.
15.01.2009 - 22:13
Dio Is God
Account deleted
I'll be there for the ceremony!!! Going to kick major ass!!!
15.01.2009 - 22:16
The V.M.93

I'm ot realy sure about this...
15.01.2009 - 22:36
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by -Soulreaper- on 15.01.2009 at 22:11

Bahhh, why not Iron Maiden or Judas Priest for induction? Just ridiculous.

Because the rock n roll hall of fame is for jackasses. Someone needs to start a new hall of fame fresh and make some better fucking choices for inductees (Though I do think Metallica deserve it). This current one is getting ridiculous, apparently the term "rock n roll" now entails every type of music

Yup, right in there with Run DMC, Madonna, and Miles Davis (no offence to Mr. Davis, but I don't consider him rock n roll either).

Fuck the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.01.2009 - 23:15
*!*

Congrats to the band m/ metallicaaa 4 ever

Hits total: 5509 | This month: 4