01. Finding My Way
02. Need Some Love
03. Take A Friend
04. Here Again
05. What You're Doing
06. In The Mood
07. Before And After
08. Working Man

It's very hard to trace the complex musical structures and deep lyrical content of Canada's progressive rock trio Rush back to their first album. This self-titled debut contains fun loving songs about having a good time, loving hard, partying and working for a living. It is quite evident that the lofty and multifaceted lyrical continuity of the noted 'master drummer' Neil Pert does not grace this album at all; Neil doesn't appear until 1975 on Rush's grandiose prog rock debut Fly by Night.

It was said that the band was very influenced by many hard rock bands from the sixties and early seventies. This is heard strongly in every song on the album. Simple catchy bluesy guitar licks are on display in every song. Rush are full of too much energy, spunk and attitude to slow down at all; well, perhaps briefly in introduction to Before and After.

Rush's self-titled debut makes a respectable nod to the bands that helped them forge their beginnings. The result is a classy high energy rock fest that never stops to breathe. This was a great move which shows how each member is ready to develop into mature musicians ready to make their mark on the music industry. Drummer John Rutsey wasn't able to play along with the increasingly technical works of both Lifeson and Lee, amicably departing in order to make way for mastermind drummer Pert. This is a highly recommended album. The listener might want to listen to this album then immediately put on Fly By Night just to see how much the band changed in one year.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Horlequism | 07.07.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 77 users
07.07.2006 - 03:26
Bloodshed
Account deleted
Damn I love your review, when I first saw the cover I thought I was surely going to see the usual 10 just because it's a rush album. it's a great and objective review and I'm going to read it again
13.10.2006 - 07:10
Rating: 8
O Sinistron
Hopeless Sinner
Well... The review is great!
But I still think this album deserved a better note! Something like 9!
I have listened this album just today (from the begining to the end), and I've also listened other songs from the album separately!
This is my 2nd favorite Rush album, holding position with Power Windows!
My Rush Favourite album is Grace Under Pressure!
----
Last.fm
18.06.2007 - 13:19
Rating: 4
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'm too young for this album, it's too much Hard-ROCK for my taste. Without doubt their worst album, probably their only bad album actually. And yes, they changed so much in just one year!
----
19.06.2007 - 05:26
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Thanks for the props about my reviews
19.09.2007 - 18:13
Rating: 7
Rusher

I'm a huge Rush fan but this is the only album I think is not so good. Although not bad either but it's just not on par with the other albums in their discography. Best songs: "Finding My Way", "What You're Doing" and "Working Man".

19.09.2007 - 19:54
Rating: 7
ylside

"Working Man" is an unbelievable track, I just love it
19.09.2007 - 20:10
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Working Man is not one of my favorites...I love some of the more party-type songs...I just enjoy the album in it's entirety lol...good Canadian drinking album
20.09.2007 - 00:43
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Kap, my old friend. Great review! Well written (as you always are) and well thought out. I totally agree with the review and score.
----
(space for rent)

Hits total: 4025 | This month: 6