06. In My Darkest Hour
07. Liar
08. Hook In Mouth

[2004 re-release bonus tracks]
09. Into The Lungs Of Hell [Paul Lani Mix version]
10. Set The World Afire [Paul Lani Mix version]
11. Mary Jane [Paul Lani Mix version]
12. In My Darkest Hour [Paul Lani Mix version]

With possibly the cheesiest album cover ever, this album was the most experimental of Megadeth's career. Unfortunately, it was before the recording of this album that Gar Samuleson and Chris Poland were thrown from the band, a very tragic loss. But this album is a great recovery from the loss of such great players. With new recruits Jeff Young on Guitar and Chuck Behler on skins, this new line up was ready to rip some fuckin' heads off. So far things were good, but so what? It doesn't matter as long as they keep kicking ass.

The guitar on this album is pretty damn killer, as can be seen with the opening instrumental track "Into The Lungs of Hell." It starts with a tension building intro and then progresses into a finger blistering riff which really does make you feel like you're going into the lungs of hell. Drumming is pretty mediocre. I mean, Behler keeps the rhythm tight and everything, but does nothing impressive, it just doesn't tickle your ears. The bass for this album is, of course, very good, but Ellefson doesn't appear to be up to par from previous releases, which is a real let down.

Lyrically, this album is quite impressive. The themes deal with science fiction, drug addiction, social rebellion, remorse/regrets, and of course, politics. The last of these themes mentioned can be seen with their beautiful cover of "Anarchy In the UK" by the Sex Pistols. Perhaps the most touching thing about this album, though, is the song "In my Darkest Hour" which deals with the long regretted loss of friend and former band mate Cliff Burton. This is clearly seen with the line "Everlasting life for me in a perfect world, but I gotta die first, please god send me on my way!" We can also see a link to drug addiction with the song "Mary Jane"

In all honesty, the two most impressive elements to this album are the guitar and lyrics. The other parts of instrumentation are sub-par. However, because guitar and lyricism are so stellar, this album still gets above an eight, especially seeing as how there's unique song structure, as well as a slightly progressive element.

While this album may lack certain qualities, it's still very good, and still a recommended buy for almost any Megadeth fan. Trust me, when you learn to appreciate this album, you'll set the world afire and willingly walk into the lungs of hell.

Album Highlights: Into The Lungs Of Hell, Set The World Afire, Mary Jane, 502, In My Darkest Hour.

Written by Arian Totalis | 15.01.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
Stuck in between the genre-defining classics of Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? and Rust In Peace lies the sleeping giant that is So Far, So Good... So What?. The 2004 re-release of this album finally allows the music to shine through and makes a solid case for the album as more than the awkward middle child that it seemingly has gone down as in the discography of Megadeth.

Read more ››
published 15.05.2020 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 164 users
19.01.2009 - 21:46
Rating: 8
Elio
Red Nightmare
Into The Lungs Of Hell is one of the best instrumentals ever, this is a pretty good album, not a masterpiece, enjoyable for sure.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
25.02.2009 - 23:45
Rating: 9
AngelOfDisease

I love this album!!!! I even dare to say it's underrated
07.12.2010 - 21:29
Iluvatar
Account deleted
In my darkest hour is not about Cliff. It was written when Cliff died, but it's not about him...
07.12.2010 - 23:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 07.12.2010 at 21:29

In my darkest hour is not about Cliff. It was written when Cliff died, but it's not about him...

Cliff's death inspired him to write it, but the song isnt about him. lol
13.12.2010 - 16:26
Iluvatar
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.12.2010 at 23:14

Written by Guest on 07.12.2010 at 21:29

Cliff's death inspired him to write it, but the song isnt about him. lol

no shit sherlock, that's exactly what I said. lol
13.12.2010 - 21:15
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 13.12.2010 at 16:26
no shit sherlock, that's exactly what I said. lol

Not exactly... lol

I wasnt sure if thats what you meant, but because you didnt specifically say Cliff's death inspired the song, I took what you said literally.
27.12.2010 - 23:57
Metal Maiden 666

Personally, this is one of my favorite Megadeth albums, hard for me to pick just one. "Set The World Afire" is so damn sinister!! "Into The Lungs Of Hell" knocks you on your ass!! "In My Darkest Hour" is a fave song. Just one badass album.
28.01.2016 - 01:49
Maco
Pvt Funderground
What's so cheesy about the cover?
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
14.02.2019 - 23:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Anarchy song was amazicanaized, changed parts in a lyrics, I dont like it so much, original is better.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.09.2020 - 21:03
Rating: 10
BlankFile

Another Metal classic, spectacular record. "In My Darkest Hour" is one of my favourite Metal songs.

Hits total: 9201 | This month: 9