04. Delirium
05. Fabric Of Illumination
06. Rebellion
07. Materia
08. The Verge
09. Marionette
10. Fiends Of Sympathy
11. Desert

Slovenia isn't the most flourishing country in terms of a metal scene, but that doesn't mean that there are no good bands at all. A recent discovery of mine are the brutal Doomsters Brutart, who released their début album "Mimic" in 2007.

For a country with only a small metal scene (or at least an unknown one) you may expect only archetypical metal bands, but that is certainly not the case with Brutart. In fact, these guys are very fresh. In essence, they carry a lot of Doom in their sound, but these guys pack a few surprising left and right hooks, and a jawbreaker of an uppercut. First of all, they tempo is often considerably higher than your average Sabbathian Doom band. No church bells or "please god help me" wails here, but pummelling riffs and mid-paced to fast tempo's. The vocals remind me of a Lee Dorrian (Cathedral) who has listened to too much Autopsy. He packs some awesomely nasty burps.

All in all, these guys nailed the rare hybrid of Thrashy Doom and that alone nets them bonus points in my book. What's more, they do it with a fresh whirlwind attitude. On the downside, they can get a little monotone in their aggression, but that never becomes a crippling factor. "Mimic" is not an earth shattering release, but it'll certainly have you bang your head for a good time. Promising band.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written on 23.01.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 86 users
23.01.2009 - 01:28
matos

I guess the review's ok, but i has one pretty big flaw: It's true Brutart come from country that has rather small number of (big) metal bands, but that country isn't Israel, it's Slovenia.
I felt kinda patriotic and had to point that out
----
23.01.2009 - 05:40
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Good review, but I fucking hate when reviews start with the phrase "you wouldn't expect good metal from such a country" or shit like that... probably because every single fucking review on earth about a chilean band start with phrases like that.
23.01.2009 - 16:44
Abattoir

Written by matos on 23.01.2009 at 01:28

I guess the review's ok, but i has one pretty big flaw: It's true Brutart come from country that has rather small number of (big) metal bands, but that country isn't Israel, it's Slovenia.

Yea, just a little bitter misunderstaning I suppose, nothing serious
23.01.2009 - 19:54
Lucas
Mr. Noise

........ What the fu.....

Seriously, I've never made such a big mistake in any of my reviews... completely unbelievable. I changed the country now, i think the intro text still applies...

but man, i cant believe this just happened. I'm embarassed.

Sorry man, I don't understand how this could have happened. Normally I do all my research well.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.01.2009 - 00:00
Deadsoulman

For some reason, even though I know they're Slovenian and signed on a Slovenian label, I always end up thinking of them as Israelis. Seriously. I don't know what it is about the band, but you're not alone
25.01.2009 - 01:40
mizzi
Account deleted
Israel? LOL, well, Israfel is the song on the EP Arab Dream.. probably this was the source of the mistake..
http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/album.php?album_id=6283&band_id=1563&bandname=Brutart
25.01.2009 - 01:56
matos

Written by Lucas on 23.01.2009 at 19:54

........ What the fu.....

Seriously, I've never made such a big mistake in any of my reviews... completely unbelievable. I changed the country now, i think the intro text still applies...

but man, i cant believe this just happened. I'm embarassed.

Sorry man, I don't understand how this could have happened. Normally I do all my research well.

hey no problem, no hard feelings here. Shit happens, well it's fixed that's what's important
----
25.01.2009 - 01:57
Ragana
Rawrcat
Whatever it is, you can't take it personally forever. Get over it. Funny mistake though.

Hits total: 5140 | This month: 8