Metal Storm logo
Pain Of Salvation - Lifting Their Tour Embargo On USA

Vocalist Daniel Gildenlöw of Pain Of Salvation has posted the following blog after Barack Obama's inauguration:

"We congratulate the people of USA on the Inauguration of their new President. We have waited for this day a long time, as have most of the world. Obama continually strikes us as the bravest and most promising US president that modern times have seen, and we nod our heads in agreement and respect for some of the things he expressed in his speech. Thus, with Barack Obama, in that very speech, offering an open hand to those willing to unclench their fists, Pain of Salvation will be first in line to offer our unclenching.

Therefore, let it be known that on the 20th of January 2009, after almost five years, Pain of Salvation are officially lifting their political embargo on USA. Our position on border control finger print scanning remains unchanged, and we will keep fighting against it and do what we can to oppose and fight it; but today we see an American nation of hope and want of change, and good should be met with good. Hence, we reach out to accept your hand. Not unconditionally, because real love is demanding: something to work on every day. But with our deepest and most sincere hope for a new start."

Read the full blog here.

Source: blog.painofsalvation.com
Band profile: Pain Of Salvation
Posted: 23.01.2009 by Metal_Militia

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 23   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 126 users
23.01.2009 - 19:30
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
So hopefully they'll be heading this way for some shows? I've waited so long to see them.
----
(space for rent)
23.01.2009 - 20:06
Elio
Red Nightmare
Which problem did they have with the US?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
23.01.2009 - 20:22
rpsgc

They are kidding themselves if they think anything will change... at the surface, maybe. Just to keep an illusion though. Nothing will change.
23.01.2009 - 20:58
Dexter_prog

Written by Elio on 23.01.2009 at 20:06

A political embargo. Did you even read the article?
23.01.2009 - 21:02
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Dexter_prog on 23.01.2009 at 20:58

Yes, but why? Did you even read my question?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
23.01.2009 - 21:15
deadbraincells

The idea that some half-assed prog metal band from Sweden would announce a 'political embargo' against the USA is absolutely retarded - are they refusing to sell their albums to USA audiences? Are they pulling their videos from MTV? No - they're just going to stay home to show the big bad USA how terrible life will be without them.
23.01.2009 - 21:43
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by deadbraincells on 23.01.2009 at 21:15

The idea that some half-assed prog metal band from Sweden would announce a 'political embargo' against the USA is absolutely retarded - are they refusing to sell their albums to USA audiences? Are they pulling their videos from MTV? No - they're just going to stay home to show the big bad USA how terrible life will be without them.

He didn't refused the USA people.. In USA there are many bands who refuse the government but people buy their albums, and they're popular. A famous example is Pearl Jam..
23.01.2009 - 21:46
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Yes!!! This is the answer our economy needs!!1
23.01.2009 - 21:51
Fat & Sassy!

As much as this political bullshit pisses me off... I still love the band. Hopefully I'll get to see them now!
23.01.2009 - 23:12
gid

Wow. I've instantly lost respect for Pain of Salvation, riding on such an important political change just so they get more publicity for a US tour.
23.01.2009 - 23:24
Hār Wulfric

Wow, thats really lame. Howbout an embargo on Iran,syria,jordan,lebanon,Russia or any of the other actually opressive countries.

Not Impressed.
24.01.2009 - 00:05
giok99

See, Mr Obama is in charge since 3 days and already things are changing.

Good sign of hope, we all need it

By the way, nice speech, Mr President
----
Nothing is real
24.01.2009 - 00:56
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Good to know they are coming. Bush deteriorated the USA's image so much that I completely understand the embargo
----
24.01.2009 - 01:00
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Oh my god they actually sound like obama. hope and change. fuck that, they should be BANNED from the US and have their embargo carried out by the present administration.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
24.01.2009 - 07:41
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
As much as I love them...

Can Pain of Salvation sound like bigger dicks?

YES THEY CAN!
----
24.01.2009 - 20:29
Dexter_prog

Written by Elio on 23.01.2009 at 21:02

Written by Dexter_prog on 23.01.2009 at 20:58

Yes, but why? Did you even read my question?

Your question was poorly formulated.
Probably the problem they had has something to do with their silly lyrics against America.
25.01.2009 - 19:20
Silhouette

I don't see how this is bullshit at all. They're expressing their opinions and sticking to what they believe in, how's that a problem?

Quote:
I've instantly lost respect for Pain of Salvation, riding on such an important political change just so they get more publicity for a US tour.

This was a simple blog entry on their website. The point of that is to express an opinion.
It wasn't the band who posted it here, and got all this response.

Silhouette
25.01.2009 - 23:58
gid

Written by Silhouette on 25.01.2009 at 19:20

I don't see how this is bullshit at all. They're expressing their opinions and sticking to what they believe in, how's that a problem?

This was a simple blog entry on their website. The point of that is to express an opinion.
It wasn't the band who posted it here, and got all this response.

Silhouette

If they had fully believed in their embargo, they would have stopped selling their albums in the US and Japan (another country which has mandatory fingerprint scans when you enter the country).

And how does posting this on their blog not count as advertising their tour? They want it to be read. Sure, the band can have their own opinions, I'm not complaining about that. My problem is the fact that they're obviously using Obama's presidency as free publicity for their american tour.

And did you read the last part of the blog post?

Quote:
...we see an American nation of hope and want of change, and good should be met with good. Hence, we reach out to accept your hand. Not unconditionally, because real love is demanding: something to work on every day.

Oh yes, they're doing the US a huge favour and being oh-so noble in coming over.

I don't think it's possible for them to sound any more arrogant or self-important than they did with this post.
26.01.2009 - 14:35
ponderer

Politically motivated touring? Get off your high horse? Pain of Salvation aren't even that good to begin with. Daniel has some talent, but maybe he should stick to Led Zeppelin covers. For the record, Daniel did plenty of touring in the United States over the past 5 years with side projects and friends of other bands. Hypocrite.

There's a new vibe going around the progressive community which is becoming harder and harder to stomach. It's the we're-holier-than-thou-and-everyone-can-kiss-our-talented-asses sentiment which makes me want to puke. This is by no means limited to Pain of Salvation either. Several bands who are all closely related musically and through friends have the same shitty attitude which is why I won't be buying any of their music nor paying to see them live. My financial embargo against elitest fuckheads is in full effect following this statement by PoS. Kiss my American ass Daniel.
27.01.2009 - 12:55
Shadowcross
The Summoner
I agree with their embargo on the US, I have personally held a similar view of america since the Iraq war began and have avoided their products and visiting there. now i feel a bit of a mood difference.. less hatred and blinded media
27.01.2009 - 13:00
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Wow you americans take this pretty seriously..
the problem is it took americans 5 years to realise their poor standing in the world and our disgust towards their wasteful culture!
01.02.2009 - 07:14
BKaz
Account deleted
Yeah, I too have lost some respect for this band after reading the ridiculous article. They feel they are "punishing" the US citizens by not touring there? wtf? that is the most pretentious bullshit I've ever heard... and the fact they are so outspoken like this pisses me off.
02.02.2009 - 01:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Although I am against the over the top excessive customs concerning the US and I was against the way of the Bush administration I find Pain Of Salvation's standpoint about not touring the US totally pathetic and ridiculous. You don't hurt the government with that sort of thing. The only people that will suffer because of this are the fans. And this standpoint once again shows that in most of the cases MUSIC AND POLITICS DON'T MIX.

Mmm, I am thinking of not going to Sweden for vacation because of their government.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 4932 | This month: 3