Metal Storm logo
Burzum

Original post

Posted by , 17.05.2006 - 09:54
This band needs no introduction.

To start things off, what do people think of Vargs' writings about paganism that are posted on his website ((www.burzum.org)?
08.10.2011 - 19:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 08.10.2011 at 13:46
he single-handedly led one of the greatest and most legendary black metal acts on earth.

Euronymous is to Burzum what Cliff Burton is to Metallica.

Also, Bathory were far more influential than Burzum - and that comes from a Burzum fan and not that much of Bathory fan. Even black metal musicians that create new bands to this day cite Bathory as an influence over Burzum, even if they happen to sound similar to Burzum.

Then there's the likes of Venom and Mercyful Fate...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.10.2011 - 23:21
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.10.2011 at 19:58

he single-handedly led one of the greatest and most legendary black metal acts on earth.

Also, Bathory were far more influential than Burzum - and that comes from a Burzum fan and not that much of Bathory fan. Even black metal musicians that create new bands to this day cite Bathory as an influence over Burzum, even if they happen to sound similar to Burzum.

Well, I agree on everything but I said "Legendary" not "Influnetial".
08.10.2011 - 23:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 08.10.2011 at 23:21

I'm just saying Varg isn't a god of music, let alone metal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.10.2011 - 03:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I've never heard so many people have (rightfully) negative comments about a "legend" in my life.

Varg = crappy musician + good ideas + a lot of luck.
09.10.2011 - 04:16
Richard

Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.10.2011 at 19:58

He didn't say that Burzum was THE greatest and most legendary, though, just "one of". Bathory and Venom are certainly more historcially significant to Black Metal as a whole, but he didn't say they weren't, to be fair!
----
09.10.2011 - 23:26
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.10.2011 at 23:40

Written by Guest on 08.10.2011 at 23:21

I'm just saying Varg isn't a god of music, let alone metal.

Couldn't agree more. He's a hit-and-miss guy in my books. "Det Som En Gang Var" is a wonderful piece of music, the next track "Hvis" is very different, and nowhere as good as its predecessor.
09.10.2011 - 23:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 09.10.2011 at 23:26
He's a hit-and-miss guy in my books. "Det Som En Gang Var" is a wonderful piece of music, the next track "Hvis" is very different, and nowhere as good as its predecessor.

I wasn't referring to his song-by-song abilities. After all, I find his entire back catalog near-flawless. 9s across the board, and I even like his in-jail ambient albums (more than his post-jail albums, that's for sure). I just think, like any musician with a strong following (especially with a cult following), he's received too much praise. At the end of the day he's simply a man responsible for making some awesome (subjective) music, nothing more.

And he's a murderer/arsonist, which obviously plays into the whole cult following. I love the music and I don't hate on the guy for his ideals or crimes, but I don't worship him blindly - or at all for that matter. I just highly respect what he did for the genre.
----
10.10.2011 - 00:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.10.2011 at 23:34

[and I even like his in-jail ambient albums (more than his post-jail albums, that's for sure)

Heh, for some reason I thought you hated them. I really really like Dauði Baldrs. I don't remember Hliðskjálf too much since DB is the one I listen the most out of them, probably because I found out that listening to that album while playing Age Of Empires II was friggin awesome.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.10.2011 - 00:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.10.2011 at 00:46

Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.10.2011 at 23:34

[and I even like his in-jail ambient albums (more than his post-jail albums, that's for sure)

Heh, for some reason I thought you hated them. I really really like Dauði Baldrs. I don't remember Hliðskjálf too much since DB is the one I listen the most out of them, probably because I found out that listening to that album while playing Age Of Empires II was friggin awesome.

Hliðskjálf is 2345982 times better than Dauði Bollox ¬_¬
10.10.2011 - 12:00
The Turbanator

Quote:
Quote:

Hliðskjálf is 2345982 times better than Dauði Bollox ¬_¬

Hahahaha spot on. THIS IS THREAD WINNER.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
10.10.2011 - 12:21
Daniell
_็ˆฑๆƒ…_
Written by Guest on 09.10.2011 at 03:39

I've never heard so many people have (rightfully) negative comments about a "legend" in my life.

Varg = crappy musician + good ideas + a lot of luck.

That quite nicely sums up what I think about Burzum. I'd only add "sometimes" before good ideas.

But there's one aspect of the Burzum phenomenon that not many people mention. And I find that aspect the most appealing. Varg managed, as cheesy as it sounds, to put a piece of his soul into his albums (say, up to and including Filosofem). Whatever I think of Burzum's music, I do admit that it is presented with deep, almost palpable conviction. When Varg sings, he really puts every fibre of his being into it. The same can be said about music. All the time I get the feeling that it's played with utmost conviction and total devotion. The fact that it often sucks is another story
10.10.2011 - 12:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Actually Burzum only became well-known once Varg was in prison.
When the debut was released almost no-one, not even in the black metal scene gave a shit about that album. And rightly so, imo, cause let's be honest it's even worse than Venom, Bulldozer, early Bathoory at its worst.

Had Varg not set fire to churches and killed Euronymous no-one would have given sa shit about his music at all. He knew that and that's why he did what he diid, if you ask me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.10.2011 - 15:51
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.10.2011 at 12:25

Actually Burzum only became well-known once Varg was in prison.
When the debut was released almost no-one, not even in the black metal scene gave a shit about that album. And rightly so, imo, cause let's be honest it's even worse than Venom, Bulldozer, early Bathoory at its worst.

Had Varg not set fire to churches and killed Euronymous no-one would have given sa shit about his music at all. He knew that and that's why he did what he diid, if you ask me.

i somehow agree with you on this one
..but i like the early records still...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
10.10.2011 - 15:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.10.2011 at 12:25

It's hard for me to believe that. I don't think that's the one and only reason to why so many bands in the depressive/ambient kind of metal have taken so many influences from Burzum's music. The guy was obviously doing something right if so many bands got inspired to do their own thing (while many others were completely copying the music).
----
Rod, let me love you.
10.10.2011 - 20:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Maybe his actions led to more people listening to his music, but that's just a marketing tactic. He didn't have a red carpet and a millionaire producer, he had gasoline and a zippo and a knife and a vengeance. Or self-defense tactics, whatever.

At the end of the day, enough people liked his shit that they were influenced, and in some cases musicians just outright tried to copy his sound.
----
10.10.2011 - 21:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
What self defence?
Since when is stabbing a defenceless man multiple times and also in the back self defence?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.10.2011 - 21:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
It's self defense when the other guy dies and you have twenty years to keep retelling your spin of the story to braindead morons who line up at the trough to lap up whatever is vomited forth.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.10.2011 - 21:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Seriously, who gives a fuck about the murder? The point is that: Yes, his actions did help him as a marketing tactic but is this enough reason to say "that's the only reason to why he's known"? I don't think so... Like I said before, people were obviously digging his stuff once they discovered it to the point of being heavily influenced. If he became known only for his actions then his music would have a far lesser impact on black metal.
----
Rod, let me love you.
10.10.2011 - 23:25
Daniell
_็ˆฑๆƒ…_
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.10.2011 at 21:55

Seriously, who gives a fuck about the murder?

Well, I do. I can't support a retard who commits murder for trivial reasons, because that's what Varg did. Even if his music was work of genius, which it wasn't, his crimes cast an irremovable shadow on whatever he does. If someone doesn't realise this, they need to revisit their set of values and realise that something is wrong with it.

Not to mention his homophobic opinions about some races and antionalities, but that's another story.
10.10.2011 - 23:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Daniell on 10.10.2011 at 23:25

Even if his music was work of genius, which it wasn't, his crimes cast an irremovable shadow on whatever he does. If someone doesn't realise this, they need to revisit their set of values and realise that something is wrong with it.

Wow, I must be a real asshole if I really enjoy stuff like Burzum, Dissection and Shining... Band's with major assholes as frontmans which I couldn't care less about.
Hmmmyeah... I'm not really buying that bullshit, Daniell.
----
Rod, let me love you.
10.10.2011 - 23:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Well, I do. I can't support a retard who commits murder for trivial reasons, because that's what Varg did. Even if his music was work of genius, which it wasn't, his crimes cast an irremovable shadow on whatever he does. If someone doesn't realise this, they need to revisit their set of values and realise that something is wrong with it.

Not to mention his homophobic opinions about some races and antionalities, but that's another story.

concerning your last point then one should also revisit their set of values for and realise something is wrong with it for enjoying Arghoslent
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.10.2011 - 23:53
Daniell
_็ˆฑๆƒ…_
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.10.2011 at 23:37

Even if his music was work of genius, which it wasn't, his crimes cast an irremovable shadow on whatever he does. If someone doesn't realise this, they need to revisit their set of values and realise that something is wrong with it.

Wow, I must be a real asshole if I really enjoy stuff like Burzum and Shining... Band's with major assholes as frontmans which I couldn't care less about.
Hmmmyeah... I'm not really buying that bullshit, Daniell.

Where did I say anything about you being an asshole because of the music you enjoy? Besides, I didn't say that enjoying a band equals endorsing the acts of its members.

Human life, even if I do see the occasional need to take it for specific reasons (like defending yourself, or your family, or your country for that matter), is of utmost value. No amount of arrogance is enough to cover its importance. If one doesn't respect human life and idolises murderers, I do question their moral spine and, to be blunt, sanity.

All that said, I never said YOU were such a person, so please reconsider whatever you extrapolated from my words. All I'm saying is that real, timeless values, such as life, shouldn't be obscured by things trivial, such as music. No matter how one likes it, music means nothing when compared to human life.
10.10.2011 - 23:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

concerning your last point then one should also revisit their set of values for and realise something is wrong with it for enjoying Arghoslent

And of course concerning murder and one's set of values what about Emperor, Dissection?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.10.2011 - 23:54
Daniell
_็ˆฑๆƒ…_
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.10.2011 at 23:51

Which I stopped listening to about 2 years ago when I realised that I couldn't reconcile my views with the band's views.
10.10.2011 - 23:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
So you also stopped listening to Dissection (homophobic murderer) and Emperor?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.10.2011 - 00:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Daniell on 10.10.2011 at 23:53
All that said, I never said YOU were such a person, so please reconsider whatever you extrapolated from my words. All I'm saying is that real, timeless values, such as life, shouldn't be obscured by things trivial, such as music. No matter how one likes it, music means nothing when compared to human life.

Look, I'm sorry if I took it the wrong way. From this eyes it really looked like you were saying that someone lacked a good list of values because they liked the music a crazy dude created. I understand and agree with you that no one should make an idol or a model to follow out of those people. One can always praise their musical creativity though.
I'm sorry once again.
----
Rod, let me love you.
11.10.2011 - 00:07
RavenKing

I think it is important to make the distinction between music and the artist behind it.

For example, I like Dissection's first two albums, even if I think Nodveidt was a despicable being.

Hoest (Taake) is a bit crazy but, Imo, it doesn't make it less of a musical genius.

Concerning Burzum, the reason why I don't listen to it is not related to Varg's past (even if I think he is despicable). Reason is simply that I utterly dislike the music and think it sucks.

But I admit I'm one of those who care only for the music and not for the personal lives of musicians.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
11.10.2011 - 00:07
Daniell
_็ˆฑๆƒ…_
Try to find more bands with memebers who committed murder and throw them all at me. Then triumph when I admit to listening to at least one of them. All that for the sake of what? To prove me wrong? To show me that I don't have respect for human life? Seriously...

Also, Jon Notveidt, apart from being a mudrerer, was also an idiot. Figure out why.
11.10.2011 - 00:09
Daniell
_็ˆฑๆƒ…_
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.10.2011 at 00:05

Written by Daniell on 10.10.2011 at 23:53

Look, I'm sorry if I took it the wrong way. From this eyes it really looked like you were saying that someone lacked a good list of values because they liked the music a crazy dude created. I understand and agree with you that no one should make an idol or a model to follow out of those people. One can always praise their musical creativity though.
I'm sorry once again.

No need to be sorry, I'm glad we explained everything
11.10.2011 - 00:13
RavenKing

Written by Daniell on 11.10.2011 at 00:07

Also, Jon Notveidt, apart from being a mudrerer, was also an idiot. Figure out why.

He was quite fucked up, indeed. I might like Dissection's old albums but I'm surely not blind as to how crazy he was.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody