Metal Storm logo
Burzum

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 09:54
This band needs no introduction.

To start things off, what do people think of Vargs' writings about paganism that are posted on his website ((www.burzum.org)?
20.10.2011 - 22:59
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Man, I don't want to sound like an elitist or anything, but new Burzum... just meh.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.10.2011 - 00:08
Savopipo
I guess it's all about taste. I mean I hate bands like Machine Head and Evile that most people seems to think is the best shit around but I think we should try to rise above the "batshit" level here, don't you? I mean, why post in a Burzum thread if you don't like Burzum and never have???? It's like having a pizza for dinner if you don't like pizza or fucking a dude if you're straight.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
21.10.2011 - 19:30
The Turbanator
^ People are allowed to criticize or praise an artist.

If we have a thousand people here posting all positive about Burzum, it might actually kill the buzz. As much as we like to read positives about bands, I think we also need negatives.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
21.10.2011 - 23:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by The Turbanator on 21.10.2011 at 19:30
^ People are allowed to criticize or praise an artist.

Indeed, it's a forum. People talk about the topic at hand, and not everyone agrees. What a boring world it would be if we all just cloned each other's thoughts. It's bad enough people like that exist in the first place. But an entire population? No thanks.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.10.2011 - 00:46
RavenKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.10.2011 at 16:33

That the band is influential does not mean he released good stuff, just look at Venom and Hellhammer, horrible bands but mightily influential, same for black metal era Bathory.

I would not put Bathory in the same category as Venom and Hellhammer. At least Bathory has decent musicianship, unlike the two others who manage only to sound like crap. Bathory is undoubtedly superior.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
12.11.2011 - 14:40
Vombatus
Potorro

Samples up. I think it sounds good... vocals are a bit meh, too uninteresting... but instruments sound great, probably will pick it up.
12.11.2011 - 14:59
The Turbanator
Written by Vombatus on 12.11.2011 at 14:40

Samples up. I think it sounds good... vocals are a bit meh, too uninteresting... but instruments sound great, probably will pick it up.

Very nice. Definitely interested to hear this one. Although I doubt it will be better than the original ones.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
12.11.2011 - 19:22
Savopipo
After spending some hard earned money on the two latest releases I think I'll skip this one.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
12.11.2011 - 20:01
ANGEL REAPER
Looks like Varg lost that signature high scream voice he had... shame because all of the rest seems good...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
15.12.2011 - 01:21
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
I don't like his vocals on the first releases, but great music in "Filosofem" and "Fallen".
14.06.2012 - 11:18
The Turbanator
Been listening to Fallen, Belus and Umskiptar for 3 days.

Absolutely loving this guy's work.
----
19.06.2012 - 12:53
Im a huge fan of black metal and a huge fan of black metal bands from the nordic lands(norway,sweden,) and im not trying to piss off any burzum fans i just never understood why so many people liked this band for.
----
No Mosh, No Core, No trends, No Fun
19.06.2012 - 15:28
The Turbanator
Written by winds of mayhem on 19.06.2012 at 12:53

Im a huge fan of black metal and a huge fan of black metal bands from the nordic lands(norway,sweden,) and im not trying to piss off any burzum fans i just never understood why so many people liked this band for.

Maybe because his music is actually good?
----
19.06.2012 - 18:35
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 14.06.2012 at 11:18

Dude, listen to the first four albums, which are infinitely better.
19.06.2012 - 18:43
The Turbanator
Written by Guest on 19.06.2012 at 18:35

Written by The Turbanator on 14.06.2012 at 11:18

Dude, listen to the first four albums, which are infinitely better.

Yeah I did. Love them too. Just that I hadn't really got the chance to hear the last 3 albums so had the time and heard them. Really good, but yeah like you said, first 3 albums are top notch.
----
19.06.2012 - 19:19
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 19.06.2012 at 18:43

Yeah I did. Love them too. Just that I hadn't really got the chance to hear the last 3 albums so had the time and heard them. Really good, but yeah like you said, first 3 albums are top notch.

Can't say I enjoy his post-prison stuff, theres a few individual songs, but not a fan of the albums as a whole.
08.12.2012 - 19:47
ANGEL REAPER
So apparently Varg is making a pen&paper RPG these days...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
08.12.2012 - 20:00
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Guest on 08.12.2012 at 19:51

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 08.12.2012 at 19:47

So apparently Varg is making a pen&paper RPG these days...

I remember reading something like 'when electricity disappears, you can play this'.

yeah...when the world ends - when WWIII ends that is- and we return to ours ancestors' ways- we can still play his game and enjoy parts of Burzum that dont require electricity to operate ...
----
09.05.2013 - 19:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 08.05.2013 at 17:23

Possibly the last metal-Burzum track.

"I no longer play metal music" / "Today (2013) I think I am done playing metal music for good." / "So, just like I started out I will finish metal-Burzum with a guitars-and-bass-only track in rehearsal quality. "Back to the Shadows" is made up of the last metal riffs I ever made (in 2012)."

Well that's pretty representative of the quality of metal he puts out today, so probably for the best it's the last.
09.05.2013 - 21:52
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Definitely for the best.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.05.2013 - 23:31
Rasputin
People are surprised about this? Burzum stopped making Black Metal long time ago, and he went into Skaldic Metal or whatever later on, and now he is returning to the old form. I still have more respect for him than most of these so called BM bands today.
10.05.2013 - 00:16
Vombatus
Potorro
Best thing about it is he'll finally stop churning out uninspired metal albums every year. If we're unlucky, he'll start doing the same with ambient stuff.
10.05.2013 - 23:11
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Guest on 08.05.2013 at 17:23

Possibly the last metal-Burzum track.

"I no longer play metal music" / "Today (2013) I think I am done playing metal music for good." / "So, just like I started out I will finish metal-Burzum with a guitars-and-bass-only track in rehearsal quality. "Back to the Shadows" is made up of the last metal riffs I ever made (in 2012)."

this indeed sounds like a farewell track ...
----
10.05.2013 - 23:25
ANGEL REAPER
Also i find this post of Varg a sort of farewell to metal :
http://thuleanperspective.com/2013/04/30/shadows-of-the-mind/
----
11.05.2013 - 03:19
Rasputin
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 10.05.2013 at 23:25

Also i find this post of Varg a sort of farewell to metal :
http://thuleanperspective.com/2013/04/30/shadows-of-the-mind/

I think it is the right time for it. I didn't mind his Ambient albums, so if that is what he wants, more power to him.
05.06.2013 - 18:49
ANGEL REAPER
Yeah ...actually those tracks are better than some on latest album...
though,second track on album is a killer...
----
18.07.2013 - 14:30
Malphas
----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
18.07.2013 - 21:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Malphas on 18.07.2013 at 14:30
Btw, in case you guys haven't heard of this yet, here it is

Already covered.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.08.2013 - 00:39
Lião
Account deleted
Hey guys I have a question. What's the difference between the re-recorded song "A lost forgotten sad spirit" from its original 1992 debut version? I did some searchs on the net but it did not helped...
18.08.2013 - 19:23
Lião
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.08.2013 at 00:48

Written by Guest on 18.08.2013 at 00:39

Hey guys I have a question. What's the difference between the re-recorded song "A lost forgotten sad spirit" from its original 1992 debut version? I did some searchs on the net but it did not helped...

By "re-recorded version", do you mean Aske EP version or 2011 version from the re-record 'compilation'. Or some rare version?

The Aske version.