Metal Storm logo
The Old School

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 07.07.2006 - 17:07
So anyway, I've seen people tracking down a lot of bands like Nile, Strapping Young Lad, Arch Enemy, Decapitated, Cannibal Corpse, Behemoth and even Zao and more of the same sector.

Do we still remember the old school days? what has happened to people talking about Xecutioner and Disattack, Carbonized, Deceased, Disincarnate, Insanity and many others? yeah maybe they are not that active now, but does it means that much to be a band releasing many albums in the present so we can talk about them?

I was a kid in those days, but I know many of you remember exactly what happened back then; to the other people, what do we really know about the old school?
09.07.2006 - 03:48
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I really fucking love Macabre. They're one of my favorite death/grind/whatever old school extreme metal bands.
09.07.2006 - 03:51
ylside
staff
Well as you may see this thread is extreme-metal oriented since it's in the forum with the same name.
And nobody is going to f*ck off.
09.07.2006 - 03:53
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
lol whoops. Forgot which forum I was in. I'll just delete most of that post so I don't look like an ass in front of everyone.
10.07.2006 - 00:42
Herzebeth
Written by Daru Jericho on 09.07.2006 at 02:55

Written by Herzebeth on 08.07.2006 at 17:12

Written by Guest on 08.07.2006 at 03:44

Written by Herzebeth on 07.07.2006 at 18:33

@King Antichrist: so are you saying that bands like Nile and so are more evil than Deceased, Autopsy and Carbonized? dude bands of today talk about egypt and strawberry flavored blood...old school acts were fucking scary and evil and really solid...not like the new bands like In Flames trying to be hardcore with lame ass tattoos...

I didn't mention Nile or In Flames, I was referring to the black metal side of things bunny.

EDIT: bunnified by wrathchild. No need to call someone names here.

while bands like Sarcofago and Von (all raw and agressive and fuckign violent) are from the old school other bands like Dimmu Borgir and Catamenia are the "progressed" ones (all melodical and gay) so...even if you say you are refering to whatever style..the old school is heavier and more evil...yep

So what, melodic black metal is gay?

Anyhow, what's the classification of old school here in this thread? '80s, right?

I always liked old school thrash. Anacrusis anyone?

to your first question YES Melodic Black Metal IS really fucking gay like a man masturbating while hearing an Elton John album...

for the second question...80's is old school allright, but there are a couple of bands who came in the early 90's that are old school as well..for example Suffocation which is old school in the Brutal death Metal Genre...and so on

finally...Anacrusis is great, I'm not a fan though...the really old thrash bands I love are kind of underground..stuff like Holy Moses, Antisect, Discharge, Funeral MArch and then of course the popular ones like Anthrax, Slayer and such
----
10.07.2006 - 00:59
Daru Jericho
Aw, I really like some melodic black metal bands like Mystic Circle and Dissection. I don't think it sounds like a masturbating man listening to Elton John at all

In that case, Unleashed is good old school stuff. They're one of those awesome Swedish death metal bands that you don't hear much about for some reason. I really like them though.

With these older thrash bands I tend to find that the lessar known ones can be better than the ones that everyone knows. Holy Moses are great
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

23.07.2006 - 16:20
Markku
Account deleted
Does anyone have a definitive answer to what is old-school? I mean the musical aspects. How to put the "vintage sound" into words? So basically I'm asking the definition to the phrase.
23.07.2006 - 19:16
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Guest on 23.07.2006 at 16:20

Does anyone have a definitive answer to what is old-school? I mean the musical aspects. How to put the "vintage sound" into words? So basically I'm asking the definition to the phrase.

I am not too sure about this one. I always thought of Old School as like pre-92 (at least for Death Metal) Death Metal bands. Though there is somewhat of a sound to them. I am not sure how to word any other way than what the scene looks and sounds like. The production is usually a bit muddy, much of the focus of the music is on the riffing, vocals are average growls usually. That's about as far as it goes. You really have to listen to Old School to know. Or maybe I just suck at describing.
----
The force will be with you, always.
23.07.2006 - 19:24
Markku
Account deleted
But old school applies to thrash too, what about that?
23.07.2006 - 19:47
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Guest on 23.07.2006 at 19:24

But old school applies to thrash too, what about that?

Indeed, it can apply to a number of genre's, even outside of Metal. I was just referring to Death Metal. You'll have to ask around about everything else. I am not huge into the Old School "scene" though I am a fan.
----
The force will be with you, always.
24.07.2006 - 00:44
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
Elton John ist kreig.

Anyone who says modern stuff is more evil than old school stuff never listened to Resurrection (the one from Florida... I think there are others). That's some vile shit. And actually the most evil stuff is just in the speech between songs about drinking dog piss and human waste or something. I dunno. Haven't listened in a while. But it's a killer fucking album.

Dr. Shrinker anyone? Damn! That guy's got a killer voice when he wants to use it right. Listen to the song "Free At Lassssst!!!!" (spelled exactly like that, with 5 s's). They had some fairly heavy stuff but some of it's actually a little catchy.

I like a lot of old school stuff more than a lot of modern stuff. There are LOTS of exceptions - just pointing that out so that statement doesn't bite me in the ass when someone freaks out... But I think back in the day a lot of bands wanted rock harder than anything else out there, so much that they overcame some ridiculous obstacles like uprooting and moving hundreds of miles to find bandmates, dropping out of school to practice drums, etc, and through the dirty, nasty circumstances came music that was awesome in the dirtiest, nastiest ways.

I was gonna say that it was like comparing old, shitty B-grade horror movies with modern holloywood ones, but most of those new hollywood horror movies suck and modern death metal does not, so there goes the analogy, but you know what I mean.

This put me in the mood for Dr. Shrinker. How do you not like a song called "Chunk Blower?"

[Edit] Dude, is this about old-school metal of the non-death variety too? Because I've been dabbling in NWOBHM more recently than normal. And I'm not just talking Maiden and Priest (not that I'm NOT talking about them) but I recently fell in love with Cloven Hoof's "A Sultan's Ransom." And don't even get me started on 80's speed/thrash. I could bore you to tears on 80's speed and thrash metal just from New Jersey!
24.07.2006 - 03:14
ylside
staff
Written by Guest on 24.07.2006 at 00:44

Dr. Shrinker anyone? Damn! That guy's got a killer voice when he wants to use it right. Listen to the song "Free At Lassssst!!!!" (spelled exactly like that, with 5 s's). They had some fairly heavy stuff but some of it's actually a little catchy.

Dr.Shrinker is one really unique old school DM act Vocals are extremely wicked, as you said. My favorite song would be "Graphic Violence". Killer bass riffs too
25.07.2006 - 23:45
Varoth
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.07.2006 at 16:20

IMO, oldschool is like the "first wave" or even "pre-wave" of a newborn genre, when it still has its strong musical touches from the genre it was born from. I have no idea if this definition is correct, though. Just my thoughts.

Dr. Shrinker anyone?

Dr. Shrinker is great, especially the vocals and the deep bass sound. My favourite song is most definitely "Tighten The Tourniquet".

...Because I've been dabbling in NWOBHM more recently than normal.

speaking of NWOBHM, I'd recommend you to check Angel Witch (that is, if you haven't heard them yet), as I was getting into them lately.
26.07.2006 - 00:37
ylside
staff
Yes, About NWOBHM there's also one awesome band called Satan. I've been listening to a couple of albums by them recently, Court In The Act is great.
26.07.2006 - 17:20
Herzebeth
Written by ylside on 26.07.2006 at 00:37

Yes, About NWOBHM there's also one awesome band called Satan. I've been listening to a couple of albums by them recently, Court In The Act is great.

hehehe, yeah man..Satan is a cool band..though I think Suspended Sentence is a more structured album... The cool thing is that someone here knows about this band and I actually thought nobody was going to mntion them..Ylside..good for you.

----
30.07.2006 - 05:55
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
Holy crap, that's weird. Like I said, NWOBHM's a more recent kick for me, and it was Angel Witch and Satan that started it.

I love Court in the Act but I can't say if I agree with Herzebeth because I can't find Suspended Sentence
30.07.2006 - 16:36
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Okay. I don't know really if I have a place here... But I'm singing in a Death Metal band. Many people think we play a little Old-School... if you want to check our website out here is the adress: http://www.imagination.info.se we do have one song with a crap sound but everyone who've listened to it thinks it's great

and about old school... I wonder (exactly as Markko) what is the definition of Old-School? I know it's a bit like the first record of In Flames to the sound... but nothing more concrete...
07.08.2006 - 02:59
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
Good old-school bands are IMO Autopsy (they fucking rule, thanx Herz), Suffocation, Incantation and Unleashed. Also Entombed can be considered as an old-school band. New bands that sound old scholl are Bloodbath and Chaosbreed.
23.08.2006 - 15:07
Melodeath Master
Bloodbath... Hmm... Isn't that one of Peter Tägtgren's bands?
23.08.2006 - 15:19
ylside
staff
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 30.07.2006 at 16:36

Okay. I don't know really if I have a place here... But I'm singing in a Death Metal band. Many people think we play a little Old-School... if you want to check our website out here is the adress: http://www.imagination.info.se we do have one song with a crap sound but everyone who've listened to it thinks it's great

and about old school... I wonder (exactly as Markko) what is the definition of Old-School? I know it's a bit like the first record of In Flames to the sound... but nothing more concrete...

I can't really answer you about the definition of old school but I think you should definitly change your thoughts about In Flames by trying some early Entombed/Nihilist and all the bands your country has ! That's the closest thing to a definition Imo.
23.08.2006 - 16:29
Melodeath Master
Written by ylside on 23.08.2006 at 15:19

I can't really answer you about the definition of old school but I think you should definitly change your thoughts about In Flames by trying some early Entombed/Nihilist and all the bands your country has ! That's the closest thing to a definition Imo.

Hehe okay... I'm not so into the more extreme scene of Death Metal... I like the more melodic approach But i shall try something with them (sometime;))
23.08.2006 - 19:03
ylside
staff
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 23.08.2006 at 16:29

Written by ylside on 23.08.2006 at 15:19

Hehe okay... I'm not so into the more extreme scene of Death Metal... I like the more melodic approach But i shall try something with them (sometime;))

Melodic approach ? Sure -->
Dismember - Like An Everflowing Stream
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Maybe the pillar of Swedish Death Metal. And both hold enough melody I think.
23.08.2006 - 19:57
lordz
IzZo
I like this topic cause I'm a vetrin of the old school era... I'll give some good old school death metal examples

Cianide - The Dying Truth ... this is the band's first release in 1992... the band is still active & have released 6 records after the one mentioned... here is a link to their website http://www.cianidemetal.com/

Pestilence - Consuming Impulse ... great old band from The Netherlands... this album was realesed in 1989.. The have alot of thrash influnce in their songs.. the band disbanded in the mid 90's

Benediction - subconscious terror ... This album featured Mark "Barney" Greenway (currently Napalm Death) on vocals... I love this band...formed in 1989 this band is one of Britain's longest-lasting and most successful death metal bands.. their style is close to the Florida death metal bands such as Obituary

Atheist - Piece Of Time ... out in 1989, Atheist were one of the mainstays of the Florida death metal scene of the late eighties, and by the time of their third album they had evolved into what they themselves term "death/jazz".

Master - master ... there is 2 bands with this name one from the U.S. (this one) and the other from Russia.... Master is the main band for Paul Speckmann, one of the better known personalities in the American death metal underground...

Broken Hope - Swamped In Gore ... Broken Hope forged a mid-level career in the gore/death metal field, recording five albums between 1991 and 1999

Gorefest - Mindloss ...Another great band from the Netherlands... Fucking great band when preforming live as my friends who got the pleasure discribed.. This album is so different than their later releases... the vocals were alot stronger and deathish.. the music way more powerful

I can go on and on about other bands but I'll stop for now.... maybe I'll post more later if you guys are interested
24.08.2006 - 02:26
Mega-Slayer
Written by lordz on 23.08.2006 at 19:57

I like this topic cause I'm a vetrin of the old school era... I'll give some good old school death metal examples

Cianide - The Dying Truth ... this is the band's first release in 1992... the band is still active & have released 6 records after the one mentioned... here is a link to their website http://www.cianidemetal.com/

Pestilence - Consuming Impulse ... great old band from The Netherlands... this album was realesed in 1989.. The have alot of thrash influnce in their songs.. the band disbanded in the mid 90's

Benediction - subconscious terror ... This album featured Mark "Barney" Greenway (currently Napalm Death) on vocals... I love this band...formed in 1989 this band is one of Britain's longest-lasting and most successful death metal bands.. their style is close to the Florida death metal bands such as Obituary

Atheist - Piece Of Time ... out in 1989, Atheist were one of the mainstays of the Florida death metal scene of the late eighties, and by the time of their third album they had evolved into what they themselves term "death/jazz".

Master - master ... there is 2 bands with this name one from the U.S. (this one) and the other from Russia.... Master is the main band for Paul Speckmann, one of the better known personalities in the American death metal underground...

Broken Hope - Swamped In Gore ... Broken Hope forged a mid-level career in the gore/death metal field, recording five albums between 1991 and 1999

Gorefest - Mindloss ...Another great band from the Netherlands... Fucking great band when preforming live as my friends who got the pleasure discribed.. This album is so different than their later releases... the vocals were alot stronger and deathish.. the music way more powerful

I can go on and on about other bands but I'll stop for now.... maybe I'll post more later if you guys are interested

Pestilence is the best band on that list,I now own all 4 of their albums,and "Consuming Impulse" is definitley the best,that is a fucking brutal record.Martin Van Druen really changed his vocals on that,I mean if you hear "Malleus Maleficarum" it sounds like another vocalist.Their greatest songs are:
Parricide
Chemo Therapy
Chronic Infection
Out Of The Body
Dehydrated
Echoes Of Death
Secrecies Of Horror
Testimony
Mind Reflections
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
24.08.2006 - 10:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Since we are currently talking about Holland's pride Pestilence
Here is a clip from their non-proggy death era.
Out of the Body taken from Consuming Impulse with Martin van Drunen on bass and vocals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlx2zj0VoG4

Enjoy some nice good old school death metal
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.08.2006 - 12:22
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.08.2006 at 10:49

Since we are currently talking about Holland's pride Pestilence
Here is a clip from their non-proggy death era.
Out of the Body taken from Consuming Impulse with Martin van Drunen on bass and vocals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlx2zj0VoG4

Enjoy some nice good old school death metal

wow

Will check it out
24.08.2006 - 13:02
Markku
Account deleted
That's a nice video. The vocals sound particulary cool.
24.08.2006 - 15:13
ErabatukII
*raises hand* As far as old school death metal, that would be my specialty, and most definitely my favorite genre. I highly recommend:

Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Grave - Into the Grave
Carnage - Dark Recollections
Asphyx - The Rack
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Massacra - Enjoy the Violence
Nocturnus - The Key

These are among my fav DM albums and are IMO far darker and aggressive than most modern DM.
----
24.08.2006 - 16:38
ylside
staff
Any finnish death metal recommendation anyone ? Up to now I only know Demilich, Demigod, Convulse and Abhorrance/Amorphis. All kick arse. I need more !!!
24.08.2006 - 17:08
ErabatukII
Written by ylside on 24.08.2006 at 16:38

Any finnish death metal recommendation anyone ? Up to now I only know Demilich, Demigod, Convulse and Abhorrance/Amorphis. All kick arse. I need more !!!

Try Xysma. They fused rock with grind/death and were quit original. You have to hear their Yeah! album.
----
24.08.2006 - 17:11
ylside
staff
Oh yes I've heard Xysma aswell ! from what I've read it was them who really began the death'n'Roll sound and not Entombed.

(Erabatuk, please make the picture in your signature smaller...)