Metal Storm logo
The Old School

Original post

Posted by , 07.07.2006 - 17:07
So anyway, I've seen people tracking down a lot of bands like Nile, Strapping Young Lad, Arch Enemy, Decapitated, Cannibal Corpse, Behemoth and even Zao and more of the same sector.

Do we still remember the old school days? what has happened to people talking about Xecutioner and Disattack, Carbonized, Deceased, Disincarnate, Insanity and many others? yeah maybe they are not that active now, but does it means that much to be a band releasing many albums in the present so we can talk about them?

I was a kid in those days, but I know many of you remember exactly what happened back then; to the other people, what do we really know about the old school?
25.08.2006 - 23:52
Invoked
Account deleted
Written by ErabatukII on 24.08.2006 at 15:13

Asphyx - The Rack
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Massacra - Enjoy the Violence

Excellent picks, Massacra and Asphyx are 2 of my favorite death metal bands ever.

Also Necrophobic's "The Nocturnal Silence" may have been released a few years after most of these bands already had a few albums under their belt, but it's incredible. Much metter than their newer, melodic blackened death stuff.
27.08.2006 - 02:06
wreath
Account deleted
another great old school band that was not mentioned yet is cancer, one of my favs.it has james murphy on "death shall rise"album.the rest of them are very good too. what do uy guys think of them?
28.08.2006 - 12:28
ylside

From what I remember Cancer was pretty average ! In fact the only british band that really does it for me is Benediction (Dave Ingram's era). The Grand Leveller is a masterpiece !!

I'm still digging old school DM I must say I've found some great stuff lately !
God Macabre (The Winterlong = Jewel. I strongly recommend this one to everybody)
Creepmime (for Atheist fans)
Utumno
Sorcery
Except Creepmime they are all Swedish ! god I love that country...

@Invoked yeah The Nocturnal Silence is really awesome, you may want to try Desultory's Into Eternity album, if you didn't yet. I was a bit disappointed by their new releases too, but they aren't that bad.
28.08.2006 - 12:53
wreath
Account deleted
well, it's yopur opinion.i'll try to find some of these bands u mentioned thanx, even if there are so few swedish bands i like
10.12.2006 - 03:14
Hybrid_Killer
Account deleted
I recognize and listen to some of the so-called "oldschool" bands here and I like them, I don't know if I like them necessarily "more" than modern death metal though.

The main problem is that it's so much effort to track down a lot of the early works nowadays.
10.12.2006 - 05:25
Richard

Written by Guest on 10.12.2006 at 03:14

The main problem is that it's so much effort to track down a lot of the early works nowadays.

Well, not necessarily, what with all the old classics that are being reissued these days. At the moment, looking in the Metal section of the music stores in town, and looking through mail order catalogues, it's almost like stepping back into the early 90's... Deleted albums and even previously unreleased albums and demo material are readily available.
----
10.12.2006 - 09:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 10.12.2006 at 05:25

Well, not necessarily, what with all the old classics that are being reissued these days. At the moment, looking in the Metal section of the music stores in town, and looking through mail order catalogues, it's almost like stepping back into the early 90's... Deleted albums and even previously unreleased albums and demo material are readily available.

There still are vibrationosofdoom where you can listen clasic metal albums, whit bnad quality and soem bands has myspace page and bands like Oliver Magnum, Death Angel, Grave Digger, Metal Church9 even in home page) alov listen werry early meterial of them and its good, because IMO tahy are woried about newers stuff and old thrash bands, I prefere in 80ties how novdays exept fiew(about heavy metal) Grave Digger are like Grave Digger

Even some bands alowed in hp dounlud whole early demos too
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.12.2006 - 12:09
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
I can see there are here some that know the importance of the old school metal days...or at least they know something about it...others respect it but don't enjoy it...some like it but some come with very stupid points of view...
I am an old school metal fan... personaly i prefer old school death metal....but thrash will do just as fine...early bands kiscked ass...also i like the beginings of grindcore...maybe even hardcore ( but here i am off topic )...
I can say i like Atheist, Death ( only the first ), early Benediction ( also like the new but whatever...), Siege ( one of my favorite old school bands )...and Napalm Death ( grindcore era...but also like the new stuff...)...i also could include Terrorizer...
10.12.2006 - 15:19
Hybrid_Killer
Account deleted
Written by Richard on 10.12.2006 at 05:25

May be true where you're from, but here in Australia its still usually hard to just walk into a music store and just pickup death metal....let alone old-school death metal.
10.12.2006 - 17:11
Sunioj

Im so much into DM these days, theres lot of good bands like Nile, Kataklysm, Decapitated etc. but the old school metal phase was just so awesome, you got dismember, entombed, death, and bands these days have crisp clear production and in my opinion take away from the DM feel, if you like good productions that cool, so do I, but Im just saddenned that we wont see atmospheric old school albums like left hand path or seven churchs. I really like old stuff over the newer DM.
10.12.2006 - 19:54
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 10.12.2006 at 17:11

/--/and bands these days have crisp clear production and in my opinion take away from the DM feel/--/

Exactly!!
14.12.2006 - 13:54
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by Guest on 10.12.2006 at 19:54

/--/and bands these days have crisp clear production and in my opinion take away from the DM feel/--/

Exactly!!

I agree with you, and technical DM also takes us away from the old school DM.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
14.12.2006 - 17:15
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Paganblood on 14.12.2006 at 13:54

Exactly!!

Well imo old-school technical death metal is the best DM avialable, hehe
14.12.2006 - 22:40
Devolution

Talking about Old School,actully if i look at my C.D.s the only thing i see is old school , Especialy thrash metal : Sodom, Testament , Possessed , Sepultura , Death , Forbidden Athiest and so many.
And not only Thrash i love old rock.
It's so sad that alot of people forgot these things, or never had the chance to lestin to these great old days.

Once i was in a concert " tributes for Black Sabbath , Deep purple and Led Zipplen" And the vocalest is old maybe in his sixties , but he has a brilliant voice, one of the audiance started to shout " hey man we are in 2006" "those things sucks" ,ohh man when i see like those people i hate the whole world.

My oponion that even you don't lestin to Old School music , at least respect it , apreaciate it.Without those guyz there won't be metal , for me they are the godz .
----
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
15.12.2006 - 07:29
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by Guest on 14.12.2006 at 17:15

Written by Paganblood on 14.12.2006 at 13:54

Exactly!!

Well imo old-school technical death metal is the best DM avialable, hehe

I don't like technical DM, that's all...
----
that which shines without names and forms...
15.12.2006 - 15:47
Tapyr
Account deleted
MAJSTER KAT - old school thrashmetal

Do you now this Slovak old school thrash metal band singing about madness of christian inquisition and killing of innocent people? Part of their live performances is also live inquisition process with torture instruments.

Here are some videos from their live DVD:

MAJSTER KAT - Intro & Tien Minulosti
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9yXRiMi0s3g

MAJSTER KAT- Posledny Den
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hw8jBTGtuic

MAJSTER KAT - Kat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YIcECz4RJo
27.12.2006 - 19:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 15.12.2006 at 15:47

Do you now this Slovak old school thrash metal band singing about madness of christian inquisition and killing of innocent people? Part of their live performances is also live inquisition process with torture instruments.

MAJSTER KAT - Kat

Is it posible that I had seen that band in očko (Mad House)?
This name has fammiliar
----

apos;'
[image]
02.01.2007 - 17:28
Tapyr
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 27.12.2006 at 19:51

MAJSTER KAT - Kat

This name has fammiliar

I'm sorry, but I don't know, whats mean this word očko
02.01.2007 - 17:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 02.01.2007 at 17:28

MAJSTER KAT - Kat

This name has fammiliar

Ok sorry I mean Ocko TV
----

apos;'
[image]
02.01.2007 - 18:50
Warman
Erotic Stains
Hellhammer (old Celtic Frost) is a band more users should check out, one of the fathers to Black and Death metal. Their epic song Triumph of Death is pure art!
----
03.01.2007 - 04:04
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Want asn outstanding old-school swedish death metal EP??? the have this link to Liers In Wait's only release "Spiritually Uncontroled Art", a buried jewel... I think this is discontinued since long ago so I don't think it's wrong to share this link... and you guys should do the same for rare old good stuff

http://rapidshare.de/files/30994503/Liers_in_Wait_-_Spiritually_Uncontrolled_Art_-_g2.rar
03.01.2007 - 11:25
Tapyr
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 02.01.2007 at 17:35

Written by Guest on 02.01.2007 at 17:28

MAJSTER KAT - Kat

This name has fammiliar

Ok sorry I mean Ocko TV

Ah yes, I know this TV. This is a Czech TV, but Majster Kat have never been in this TV. Probably you saw the band with a similar name. This band is only underground group and TV is only dream for Majster Kat 's members.
03.01.2007 - 11:27
ylside

Written by Guest on 03.01.2007 at 04:04

Want asn outstanding old-school swedish death metal EP??? the have this link to Liers In Wait's only release "Spiritually Uncontroled Art", a buried jewel... I think this is discontinued since long ago so I don't think it's wrong to share this link... and you guys should do the same for rare old good stuff

http://rapidshare.de/files/30994503/Liers_in_Wait_-_Spiritually_Uncontrolled_Art_-_g2.rar

Could never stand Liers In Wait for some reasons... I just think they resemble too much to early at the gates to be appreciated separatly.
I don't know about link sharing since nowadays the old stuff is being reissued...so you never know !
If you want outstanding swedish death, check God Macabre
03.01.2007 - 17:02
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Well, Liers In Wait has comon roots with At The Gates, also with Carbonized and other bands, but still they sound has nothing to do... I have no problems with the first two At The Gates albums, though..
04.01.2007 - 10:37
Etn_KlrJ
Account deleted
I love this topic, now, I've to listen lot of new bands ^^

I have to admit that I don't know lot oh things about old school Death Metal...
But for the Black Metal... haaaa... I think old school Black was better than all these decadent norwegian bands :p
04.01.2007 - 14:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 04.01.2007 at 10:37

But for the Black Metal... haaaa... I think old school Black was better than all these decadent norwegian bands :p

Thank you werry much etleistv one ppl agree whit me that Scandinavian metal in nowdays are owerated
Cheers my friend I drink Camus Cognac from 1961 for you, such great post
----

apos;'
[image]
05.01.2007 - 00:20
ylside

@Southern Wind : Talking about EPs alone, try also to get Depravity - Silence of the Centuries. Something great, and coming from Finland this time.

Finland's old school DM was awesome aswell. (Was just re listening to Convulse - World without God today morning!)
09.11.2007 - 10:15
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
old school-/obscure-/underground death and thrash metal is exactly what i'm into. especially the swedish (NIHILIST, gorement, utumno, god macabre etc..), finnish (demilich, abhorrence, phlegethon, xysma, protected illusion etc...) and american scene (autopsy, dr. shrinker, slaughter, master, possesed etc..). i love the crispy production, the shitty demo sound and just everything that makes you clear, that you're listening to music from the mid'/late 80s and early 90s. everything was new, they hade ideas, they were young and pissed off and wanted to make the most brutal stuff that was ever recorded in music history. love it.
09.11.2007 - 23:25
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
i've seriously never heard ov any ov the bands from the 'old school' that were mentioned
09.11.2007 - 23:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 09.11.2007 at 10:15

old school-/obscure-/underground death and thrash metal is exactly what i'm into. especially the swedish (NIHILIST, gorement, utumno, god macabre etc..), finnish (demilich, abhorrence, phlegethon, xysma, protected illusion etc...) and american scene (autopsy, dr. shrinker, slaughter, master, possesed etc..). i love the crispy production, the shitty demo sound and just everything that makes you clear, that you're listening to music from the mid'/late 80s and early 90s. everything was new, they hade ideas, they were young and pissed off and wanted to make the most brutal stuff that was ever recorded in music history. love it.

C'mon man are you FU?
reading post about those bands I think so
----

apos;'
[image]