Metal Storm logo
Religious Black Metal?

27.01.2009 - 15:12
Berfones
After watching the "Murder music" documentary I have but one question, is it possible? is religious Black metal not a contrediction? I for once think it is, but what do you think?
here is the video, part 3 is the one with christian BM
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
27.01.2009 - 18:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.01.2009 - 18:08
ß
Problem?
It's locked lol..
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
27.01.2009 - 18:19
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Thread isn't the same anyway...

Carry on.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.01.2009 - 18:27
Berfones
Finally my thread is not lock XD
but I would rather listen to your opinions about the topic...
----
27.01.2009 - 18:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Yep locked I forgot in old days was 500 post and locked treads
I can suggest those bands
They are chrsitian BM bands:

Abdijah, Admonish, Arch of Thorns, Arvinger, Bleakwail, Cerimonial Sacred, Crimson Moonlight, Déborah, Elgibbor
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.01.2009 - 19:11
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Berfones on 27.01.2009 at 15:12

After watching the "Murder music" documentary I have but one question, is it possible? is religious Black metal not a contrediction? I for once think it is, but what do you think?

What do you mean by "Religious Black Metal?" Isn't the majority of Black Metal religious in one way or another? Satanism, Christianity, Paganism, etc. are all religions, right? What are you getting at with this thread?
----
(space for rent)
27.01.2009 - 19:19
totaliteraliter
Black metal has never been anti-religious as a whole.

"I'm a religious person"
- Euronymous (link)

Some religions, of course, are more at home in black metal than others.
27.01.2009 - 19:19
Berfones
Written by Dane Train on 27.01.2009 at 19:11

What do you mean by "Religious Black Metal?" Isn't the majority of Black Metal religious in one way or another? Satanism, Christianity, Paganism, etc. are all religions, right? What are you getting at with this thread?

satanism is an ideology, and pagans are rearly considered religious and they are not attacked by BM, monotheistic religious on the other hand are targeted in BM, if you watch the video you will see members of Sabbat laughing at the idea of christian BM and saying "what do they do? build churches [laughs]? do they repair the burned ones [more laughs]?" it is a bit like a jewish person being a nazi or a capitalistic communist...
----
27.01.2009 - 19:30
Berfones
Written by totaliteraliter on 27.01.2009 at 19:19

Black metal has never been anti-religious as a whole.

"I'm a religious person"
- Euronymous (link)

Some religions, of course, are more at home in black metal than others.

Euronymous is not an example for anything, he also appologized for every act of the BM movement
----
27.01.2009 - 19:31
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Berfones on 27.01.2009 at 19:19

satanism is an ideology, and pagans are rearly considered religious and they are not attacked by BM, monotheistic religious on the other hand are targeted in BM, if you watch the video you will see members of Sabbat laughing at the idea of christian BM and saying "what do they do? build churches [laughs]? do they repair the burned ones [more laughs]?" it is a bit like a jewish person being a nazi or a capitalistic communist...

I am still not sure what you are trying to get at with this thread, would you please help me understand it? It sounds like you are trying to say "Christians can't play Black Metal" but instead are using the term "Religious" which is not making much sense.
----
(space for rent)
27.01.2009 - 19:32
Berfones
Written by Bad English on 27.01.2009 at 18:31

Yep locked I forgot in old days was 500 post and locked treads
I can suggest those bands
They are chrsitian BM bands:

Abdijah, Admonish, Arch of Thorns, Arvinger, Bleakwail, Cerimonial Sacred, Crimson Moonlight, Déborah, Elgibbor

I know there are several christian BM bands, I ask if it is not somehow contredicting
----
27.01.2009 - 19:35
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Berfones on 27.01.2009 at 19:32

I know there are several christian BM bands, I ask if it is not somehow contredicting

Well if that was your question, then come right out and say it. Are Christian Black Metal bands a contradiction?

My answer: No.
----
(space for rent)
27.01.2009 - 19:39
Berfones
Written by Dane Train on 27.01.2009 at 19:31

I am still not sure what you are trying to get at with this thread, would you please help me understand it? It sounds like you are trying to say "Christians can't play Black Metal" but instead are using the term "Religious" which is not making much sense.

everyone CAN play BM, but BM is in most parts against monotheistic religiouns and devinity of any sort (there is no devinity in paganism, it is symbolic and not "literal" as in monotheistic religiouns), religious people can play BM just like jewish people can read Mein Kampf, it is possible, but something just doesn't seem right
I hope it is clearer now...
----
27.01.2009 - 19:41
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Berfones on 27.01.2009 at 19:39

everyone CAN play BM, but BM is in most parts against monotheistic religiouns and devinity of any sort (there is no devinity in paganism, it is symbolic and not "literal" as in monotheistic religiouns), religious people can play BM just like jewish people can read Mein Kampf, it is possible, but something just doesn't seem right

So it comes back to the old question: Is Black Metal a style of music or an ideology?
----
(space for rent)
27.01.2009 - 19:54
Berfones
Written by Dane Train on 27.01.2009 at 19:41

Written by Berfones on 27.01.2009 at 19:39

So it comes back to the old question: Is Black Metal a style of music or an ideology?

both, you do not like BM, you ARE BM
----
27.01.2009 - 20:02
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Berfones on 27.01.2009 at 19:54

What does that even mean? "you do not like BM, you ARE BM" I don't get it.
----
(space for rent)
27.01.2009 - 20:07
Ragana
Rawrcat
Maybe all atheists/pagans ARE BM, 'cause BM is about anti-religion, huh? Although it's not... I'm trying to figure out the meaning of this sentence too.
27.01.2009 - 20:38
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Ragana on 27.01.2009 at 20:07

Maybe all atheists/pagans ARE BM, 'cause BM is about anti-religion, huh? Although it's not... I'm trying to figure out the meaning of this sentence too.

I am still trying to figure out the meaning of this whole thread. I watched that documentary and must say, it was pretty weak. Virtually nothing was said about the musical style itself while it also seemed they were really grasping for straws when they tried citing Black Sabbath as the original Black Metal band. Am I the only one who actually reads Black Sabbath's lyrics? On top of that the film did a poor job of actually investigating the concept of Christian Black Metal. They interview one band, just one, and hardly ask them any questions, then show "tr00" Black Metal bands laughing "hahaha, Christians, hahahaha!" Sorry, but that is not good journalism.

There are better films about Black Metal out there, and with a more interesting host.
----
(space for rent)
27.01.2009 - 20:51
Richard
elite
The term Black Metal originally wasn't applied to bands adhering to a specific sound, but rather about the lyrics and imagery in the songs. In that respect, I don't think a Christian band can really be considered as 'Black Metal', and generally they don't consider themselves as such anyway, but prefer terms like White Metal, or Unblack Metal or whatever, as it gives potential listeners a clearer idea of what the band stands for, which benefits everyone.

It's like terms such as 'Black Magick' - the word 'Black' is used specifically because it has certain connotations that aren't really appropriate for people of a Christian or other 'white-light' kind of belief.
----
27.01.2009 - 20:58
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Dane Train on 27.01.2009 at 20:02

here comes more black metal superiority ranting..
27.01.2009 - 22:25
rageing atheist
Account deleted
To claim that paganism lacks the concept of divinity...if some modern revivalist neo-pagans renounce divinity it does not mean that the concept of divinity was/is alien to paganism, in fact the roots of the word divinity are tied with Indo-European paganism.
27.01.2009 - 22:43
Berfones

it is not just music, it is a life style, it can change your personality
----
27.01.2009 - 22:47
Berfones
Written by Guest on 27.01.2009 at 22:25

To claim that paganism lacks the concept of divinity...if some modern revivalist neo-pagans renounce divinity it does not mean that the concept of divinity was/is alien to paganism, in fact the roots of the word divinity are tied with Indo-European paganism.

the pagan devinity is metaphoric and not literal as most people take it in monotheism
----
27.01.2009 - 22:50
Berfones
Written by Valentin B on 27.01.2009 at 20:58

here comes more black metal superiority ranting..

no superiority, we are all humans, and therefore none is better than the other, it's like being run over by a car, it doesn't matter what kind of car it is, they are all the same for that matter
----
27.01.2009 - 23:10
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
No problem with religious black metal. Oi is predominantly racist but is a punk offshoot which is Left wing and generally anti-racist. Doesn't the same apply to black metal? I don't think I really need to give examples anyway. No one can explain why christian black metal is so wrong without using the following quotes: "They shouldn't be listening to it anyway". "Why would they want to listen to music that opposes everything they stand for?". This is just complete crap. You don't have to agree with the political views of the artist to appreciate their art. If you did then most people on this forum must have multiple personality disorder.

Art has no limits. An artist should make something that is completely personal to them. If they want to play black metal but sing about their own beliefs then that's not contrary to the concept of art. If it's self-contradictory because black metal is typically anti-christian then you're arguing with scene rules rather than the artistic value of a given piece of music.

Reverorum Ib Malacht is releasing a demo soon, now as a catholic band. The samples on their myspace don't sound as good as their first demo but it's not bad. One of the members is Emil who used to be in Dodfodd and the more well known band Ofermod. I hope this means he'll bring back Dodfodd. Awesome band. Criminally overlooked.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
27.01.2009 - 23:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by -tom- on 27.01.2009 at 23:10

Reverorum Ib Malacht is releasing a demo soon, now as a catholic band. The samples on their myspace don't sound as good as their first demo but it's not bad. One of the members is Emil who used to be in Dodfodd and the more well known band Ofermod. I hope this means he'll bring back Dodfodd. Awesome band. Criminally overlooked.

Reverorum Ib Malacht is awesome! Do you know where it's going to be released? The first demo has some brilliant moments.

On topic, I agree with your every word. Art has no limits, art should be 100% impersonal.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.01.2009 - 23:24
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
RIB demo is self-released. Here's the myspace. They said they're not distributing it yet but send them a message if you want it. http://www.myspace.com/malachtofficial

More importantly, Emil now willing to play "black metal" = maybe more Dodfodd. I can't post a download link here because of the forum rules but their stuff is hard to come by so google the last demo name. Excellent band.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
27.01.2009 - 23:39
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by Berfones on 27.01.2009 at 22:47

the pagan devinity is metaphoric and not literal as most people take it in monotheism

In order to avoid any misunderstanding, could you explain what exactly do you mean by metaphoric and literal divinity?

Do you mean that pagans (by pagan I do not mean modern pagans) regarded the gods as metaphors, and did not believe in their actual existence?
28.01.2009 - 01:20
Zombie, M.D.

Written by Dane Train on 27.01.2009 at 19:11

In the realm of black metal Satanism is more often than not more than an ideology. I'm fairly certain most satanic black metal shuns the idea of bullshit hollywood laveyan satanism. Theres some pretty serious (albeit absolutely retarded) theistic satanic bands out there.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer