03. Laying Together Again
04. Bescreen'd
05. Who Is Hiding
06. Crucifige
07. XCVII
08. The Night, Then Him
09. So Death Would Be Just A Bad Dream

For the lovers of dismal tunes

Today is Friday, is summer, but oddly the sun didn't appeared today (a rare thing in South America), seems like a perfect day for some Doom Metal.
I picked this Cd because I love the cover art; Despair, sadness, gloominess and all those amazing feelings that only Doom Metal can evoke in our putrid little hearts

Hailing from Italy, How Like A Winter takes their name from a William Shakespeare sonnet, and from what I read, their lyrics are greatly influenced by him.
The formula is pretty basic: lengthy, dismal Doom Metal songs with growls, female vocals and clean male vocals, the music is backed with a haunting violin in each song, adding a great deal of depth to the atmosphere.

The sextet play under gloomy pseudonyms (Dust, Agony, Tragedy, Misery, Bane and Mist), and I can really tell why, their music truly incarnates these feelings, each song is filled with despair and loneliness, the haunting violins are still in my mind since the first time I heard them, and the variation between one section and another is really well adapted to the music, they can go from a moody, slow section to a blasting fierce riff-fest.

Not all songs are as innovative and well-written as "All The Seasons Of Madness" and "Laying Together Again", and as a matter of fact, some tend to become boring after a while, but they always manage to change the pace, becoming interesting again.

This album is a definitively must-have for anyone looking for a Doom Metal release with small injections of Gothic Metal. Try to find this because is worth the listen.

Written by Undercraft | 11.02.2006

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 54 users
27.01.2009 - 20:01
Ragana
Rawrcat
Funny but in my opinion the best track in this album is "Who Is Hiding". I have been affected by an instrumental part again, so this is why I got this album. I was hoping there will be more these instrumental parts like "Who Is Hiding" which is a beautiful and gentle piano composition.

What can I say about other songs? At least for now there's no one that I could compare to this beauty of piano, but it's not bad at all. I like the violin that makes How Like A Winter so unique for me.
28.01.2009 - 18:29
elyar
Account deleted
I really liked the review. and I will check their album for sure. thankz man.
13.04.2009 - 17:39
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Ragana on 27.01.2009 at 20:01

Funny but in my opinion the best track ...

you have to believe yourself, this is the second time when I see you typed this!

nice album, first song is a 100% copy of MDB's Death Doom Songs ( Turn Loose The Swans era) but a nice song. "In Night, Then Him", or "Bescreen'd" are best songs of this album I think.It deserves an 8 I think. but about last song, it has 1.40 Silence! from 4' to 5:40, and its Instrumental too. Ive downloaded this album dont know if its a true version or not. but the last track is a nice song too (So Death Would Be Just A Bad Dream) I wish they will release somthin new one day. I'll buy if I found it.
13.04.2009 - 18:47
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Guest on 13.04.2009 at 17:39

you have to believe yourself, this is the second time when I see you typed this!

Oh, and so you DO have problems with that?

Aye, it would be nice if they actually do something about the next album or something. But since they still appear as an 'active' one, I guess they'll make something new. Someday.
13.04.2009 - 19:00
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Ragana on 13.04.2009 at 18:47

Aye, it would be nice if they actually do something about the next album or something. But since they still appear as an 'active' one, I guess they'll make something new. Someday.

No I dont have any problem! but just believe yourself, its btter than to not believe yourself! (Advices from an old man's child )
13.04.2009 - 19:16
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Guest on 13.04.2009 at 19:00

No I dont have any problem! but just believe yourself, its btter than to not believe yourself! (Advices from an old man's child )

I have pretty much to say about this but you're right, yes. Anyway, this is a thread about How Like A Winter.
13.04.2009 - 19:19
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Ragana on 13.04.2009 at 19:16

Written by Guest on 13.04.2009 at 19:00

I have pretty much to say about this but you're right, yes. Anyway, this is a thread about How Like A Winter.

your last song is like mine? with 1:40 silence in it?
13.04.2009 - 19:27
Ragana
Rawrcat
Yep. Actually I haven't noticed that before.

Hits total: 3549 | This month: 10