Metal Storm logo
Gehenna

07.07.2006 - 19:03
Richard
elite
Gehenna (from Norway) have some top quality releases under their belts, particularly their amazing debut MCD 'First Spell'. It's been 11 or 12 years since I bought First Spell, and it's still something I listen to quite a lot - it's mostly midpaced Black Metal. To this day, there hasn't been anything quite like it - it's not commercial sounding, despite being very melodic and catchy, and the use of keyboards is prominent yet in used in such a way as to add an obscure, mystical edge to the songs.

The band's full discography so far is:

First Spell - 1994 (MCD)
Seen Through The Veils Of Darkness - 1995
Black Seared Heart - 1996 (demo material etc.)
Malice - 1996
Deadlights - 1998 (single/EP)
Admiron Black - 1998
Murder - 2000
WW - 2005

Gehenna's music has changed over the course of their existence - the first few releases were melodic Black Metal (with First Spell being IMO by far the best). With 'Admiron Black' the band took on a much heavier, less melodic approach with some Death Metal elements, and on 'Murder' the Death Metal elements were even more prominent. Their latest 'WW' is more old-school Black Metal with a war theme.

There are also 2 Gehenna reviews here on Metal Storm, of First Spell and WW. Both reviews are written by DerRozzgarten.

The official Gehenna website has some sound samples:
http://www.gehenna666.cjb.net

Anyone else like this band?
----
07.07.2006 - 20:27
Tyrant Of Souls
Account deleted
Here's one... Especially their early era, the first 3 spells are quite monumental IMO, great melodic BM as you already said with great atmosphere, They also have, what i could call a BM 'ballad', namely '' Touched and left for the dead '' on their 3rd spell, a track that was actually stuck in my mind for quite a long time... well, their turn after Malice was not impressive in my ears as i really liked their early stuff and then WW just sounds ok.. not that impressive either, could have easily been a Satyricon album...
08.07.2006 - 18:51
Richard
elite
Written by Guest on 07.07.2006 at 20:27

Here's one... Especially their early era, the first 3 spells are quite monumental IMO, great melodic BM as you already said with great atmosphere, They also have, what i could call a BM 'ballad', namely '' Touched and left for the dead '' on their 3rd spell, a track that was actually stuck in my mind for quite a long time... well, their turn after Malice was not impressive in my ears as i really liked their early stuff and then WW just sounds ok.. not that impressive either, could have easily been a Satyricon album...

Touched and Left For Dead is definitely a great song! I haven't really thought of it as being a 'Black Metal ballad', but I see what you mean, with the slow creepy rhythm and the little keyboard refrain.

At first, I was also disappointed by the changes they made after the 'Malice' album. However, 'Admirion Black' is a real grower - it's less melodic and rather more aggressive than the previous ones, but still atmospheric in its own way and really dark. Possibly my 2nd favourite Gehenna release.
----
08.07.2006 - 18:59
Southern Wind
Account deleted
They ruined it all when they turned Death Metal... I happened to listen to "Murder" and it's a horrible album... but I have to agree that "First Spell" is a pretty outstanding EP
09.07.2006 - 09:23
_HIV_
i can honestly say they are my favorite black metal band! first spell and WW are my favorite albums! one of their best songs in my opinion is shivering voice of the ghost!
10.07.2006 - 21:16
Richard
elite
Written by _HIV_ on 09.07.2006 at 09:23

i can honestly say they are my favorite black metal band! first spell and WW are my favorite albums! one of their best songs in my opinion is shivering voice of the ghost!

Yeah, Shivering Voice of the Ghost, the first song on First Spell, is probably my favourite Gehenna song. The use of church organ is excellent, actually it's one of the best uses of keyboard I've heard in a Black Metal song. It shows how a band can use a lot of keyboard and melody, and a catchy midtempo pace, but still sound otherworldly and dark.
----
24.09.2006 - 12:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I know only 2 songs of album ''Seen Through The Veils Of Darkness''
''A Witch Is Born''
''A Myth...''

I know thsoe songs because I find them in inet some times and samples from ANUS of ''Firt Spell'' realease,

Its wierd but in Lithainia are site about this band
http://www.giljotina.lt/muzika.php?bnd=gehenna

haha dmn i try read it but im in hard understand

Also I know ''Seeds Of Man's Destructios'' I hera it in stalite radio some time ago
If I can get them albums I probobly like band, I read them lyrics and I dunno but I think band hs changed how thy wa sin early days and seems nowdays I diferent, but i cant tll it from reading lyrics(thay are changed) and 3 songs
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.09.2006 - 08:23
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I don't have any of their cd's (yet) but I plan on getting some because I think that they are one of the better black metal bands around.
25.09.2006 - 13:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I just dounoud all songs from home page and well lets say I like those when thay play black metal, only first EP, and firts 2 albumjs, leither thay are changed and I dont like its some kind mix between death/black metal, I prefere old black
----

apos;'
[image]
26.09.2006 - 01:54
Daru Jericho
Doesn't their old keys player now do live keys for Satyricon now?
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

26.09.2006 - 05:15
Richard
elite
Well, Gehenna's original keys player was a woman called Sarcana, and I don't think she's been in any Metal bands since she left. From a websearch it seems that someone called Kine has done keys for Gehenna and Satyricon though.
----
26.09.2006 - 10:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 26.09.2006 at 05:15

Well, Gehenna's original keys player was a woman called Sarcana, and I don't think she's been in any Metal bands since she left. From a websearch it seems that someone called Kine has done keys for Gehenna and Satyricon though.

Does this women are it what I can see in MA pic of band, down in right corner?

@Daru one mamber has played i Satyicon, i dunno witch but I think not live dates
----

apos;'
[image]
26.09.2006 - 16:15
Richard
elite
Written by Bad English on 26.09.2006 at 10:44

On the MA site and Gehenna site, there's a picture of Kine, but not the original keys player Sarcana. The only picture I can find on the web of Sarcana is here: http://cp05.ionhosting.com/~joelh/sarcana.htm
----
26.09.2006 - 18:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 26.09.2006 at 16:15

Written by Bad English on 26.09.2006 at 10:44

On the MA site and Gehenna site, there's a picture of Kine, but not the original keys player Sarcana. The only picture I can find on the web of Sarcana is here: http://cp05.ionhosting.com/~joelh/sarcana.htm

That wasnt that girl what I mean, but she re beautifull
I can agree whit her, I like Gahenna music when she plays, it was more black and i prefere them that, not leither death/black metal work

But i dont wanna say i dont like thay kind a music, there was band USA band who play simmilar also I like Epoch of Unlight, but seems its out of topic
----

apos;'
[image]
10.05.2007 - 20:47
Lathronniel
Written by _HIV_ on 09.07.2006 at 09:23

Argh! I can't agree with u more because of thet song i started listening them
----
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...
11.05.2007 - 01:45
APOHAKC
The Bard
I think that Gehenna is one of the most underrated Black Metal bands.
All of their albums are great, especially Admirion Black and First Spell.
I don't really understand how is that Gehenna is in so deep underground, such a great band deserves more from the scene
Witch Is Born!
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
11.05.2007 - 17:58
FOOCK Nam
I got 2 songs of this band, those are quiet "scary". IMO they are melodic black metal but different to others in genre. Their music is very "evil"
15.11.2012 - 19:04
ANGEL REAPER
This band is so awesome ...and so underrated (same like Hades Almighty)...i recently started to like their material...
also its time for this thread to REVIVE!
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
15.11.2012 - 21:46
Slayer666
Meh, one good EP is all these guys have, if you ask me.
15.11.2012 - 21:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 15.11.2012 at 21:46

Meh, one good EP is all these guys have, if you ask me.

Seen Through the Veils of Darkness is a great record. Haven't listened to their other stuff in a while though so can't really comment on it.
15.11.2012 - 21:50
Slayer666
Written by Guest on 15.11.2012 at 21:47

Seen Through the Veils of Darkness is a great record. Haven't listened to their other stuff in a while though so can't really comment on it.

I don't remember that one at all, although I'm pretty sure I've heard it... ages ago. Gonna have to revisit it.
15.11.2012 - 21:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 15.11.2012 at 21:50

I don't remember that one at all, although I'm pretty sure I've heard it... ages ago. Gonna have to revisit it.

It's a very solid album of its time. Probably worth another go.
15.11.2012 - 22:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
For the curious (whole album):

15.11.2012 - 23:36
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 15.11.2012 at 22:05

For the curious (whole album):

Well I'm quite liking this
15.11.2012 - 23:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 15.11.2012 at 23:36

Well I'm quite liking this

I kinda rediscovered it a while ago. First track is a bit so so but it picks up after.
18.11.2012 - 12:05
ANGEL REAPER
Actually their First,Second and Third Spell (albums) are so good .In my opinion they can stand in group with early Dimmu Borgir and Hades Almighty
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"