03. Feels The Pain
04. Instant Annihilation
05. Wounds Of War
06. Perverse Morality
07. Contract In Blood
08. Suprématie [ADX cover]
09. The Conqueror
10. Mr Bassman

Heavy is popular in France but except bands like Nightmare, we don't have a lot of famous ones outside of the country. However maybe that it will change soon, because the second album of Evil One (produced by Jeff Waters himself) clearly deserves to be known out of our borders. Really professional, with good songs and good musicianship, this is maybe not the most original release of the year but this is solid as rock and full of good songs. No really, "Evil Never Dies" is a good discovery.

"Evil Never Dies" is in the category of the good old Thrashy Power Metal and Heavy music. The band is definitely not trying to follow some kind of trend and here we're just in front of classy powerful and violent Heavy Metal. With some high-pitched vocals a la King Diamond plus thrashy riffs and Power rhythms, Evil One's music doesn't forget good NWOBHM melodies too (some arpeggios are clearly influenced by Maiden for example). The good thing here is that the music doesn't sound so "happy", this is dark and aggressive and even if the songs remains catchy, this is not something which sound like the majority of the European Power Metal bands. Evil One is a bit similar to the new Nightmares' productions, this is a pure in your face Heavy Metal that the fans of ADX or Nightmare of course will probably enjoy a lot.

As you know, this is Jeff Waters who produced the album and the result is convincing. I won't say that it's perfect too because sometime the sound maybe lack of deepness but this is well done all in all and the musicians are all really good. I won't say that Fred's voice is perfect during his high-pitched vocals but his classic voice is nice and he gives a lot of energy to the whole album. Actually "Evil Never Dies" just suffers of a big lack of originality, this is not the first time that we listen to something like that but at least this is not trendy and above all, well done.

"Evil Never Dies" will probably help a lot Evil One to become famous and attract new fans. This is not perfect yet but I can already tell you that this release gives me good hopes for the future of the combo. If you're looking for angry Heavy Metal, I highly recommend "Evil Never Dies". You won't discover something new but you'll discover a good band with great songs.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written by Jeff | 27.01.2009

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 66 users
28.01.2009 - 21:07
YoreLore

I am someone who doesnt need all my new purchases to be unique and original. Good album here
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."

Hits total: 4573 | This month: 5