Metal Storm logo
Lynyrd Skynyrd Keyboardist Dead At 56

29.01.2009 - 03:57
animal

Quote:

Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboardist Billy Powell dies

Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboardist Billy Powell died Wednesday morning (January 28) at his home in Orange Park, Fla. He was 56.

According to the Associated Press, Powell called 911 around 12:55 a.m., saying he was having trouble breathing. Rescue crews arrived at the home, but Powell was pronounced dead just before 2 a.m.

Orange Park Police Lt. Mark Cornett told the AP that Powell had missed an appointment yesterday for a cardiac evaluation.

Powell, whose fluid piano runs spiced such classic Skynyrd songs as "Freebird," "Call Me the Breeze" and "Sweet Home Alabama," and founding guitarist Gary Rossington were the only two original members of the Southern rock band to survive the 1977 plane crash that killed singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines and backup vocalist Cassie Gaines.

Since then, guitarist Allen Collins and bassist Leon Wilkeson have also died; former drummer Artimus Pyle survived the crash but no longer tours with the band, which re-formed in 1987 and still is a powerful concert draw.

Skynyrd lore has it that Powell, a former roadie for the band in its earliest incarnations, was asked to join by Van Zant when the latter heard Powell's keyboard take on "Freebird."

According to the band's publicist, as-yet-unspecified shows will be canceled as a result of Powell's death. Skynyrd was slated to perform Friday (January 30) in Kinder, La., and the following day in Biloxi, Miss. A European tour was set to begin May 20 in Finland.

Reuters/Billboard

RIP- I guess he's reunited with Ronnie, Steve, and Cassie.
----
"I got 1,000 years of power! Come and get me!" Robert McLain- Royal Oak, MI
29.01.2009 - 04:34
tulkas
el parcero
It's always sad to know a good musician passes away. kinda tragic, really, this one, knowing he called 911 but died shortly after, and saying he had trouble breathing, imo unfortunatly it may not have been some pleasant last minutes of life.

anyway, R.I.P.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
29.01.2009 - 07:13
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Watch, Skynyrd is gonna continue, despite the fact that the true Skynyrd died with Ronnie, Steve and Cassie.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
29.01.2009 - 07:38
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by LeChron James on 29.01.2009 at 07:13

Watch, Skynyrd is gonna continue, despite the fact that the true Skynyrd died with Ronnie, Steve and Cassie.

Very true, (I am a fairly big Lynyrd Skynyrd fan), but despite that I still wouldn't mind seeing whats left live....seeing as obviously I never had the chance to do so for the original line-up. Though I don't bother with any of the post-Ronnie material.

RIP Billy Powell
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
07.04.2015 - 14:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing