Metal Storm logo
Gorgoroth

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 10:18
"In 1994 Gorgoroth released their cult album "Pentagram" and soon became one of the leading acts of the growing scene. "Antichrist", their follow-up release, was even more successful and featured Frost (Satyricon) on drums. The album made a strong impact and consequently led to the bands first live performances in Norway and England (with Cradle of Filth) and finally to their first tour in 1996 with Dissection and Satyricon. With yet another drummer in their ranks, Gorgoroth recorded "Under The Sign Of Hell" and later prepared their first European Headliner-Tour. Nuclear Blast was highly impressed and felt a desire to court the band; by 1998 Gorgoroth had been added to Nuclear Blast's official band roster. The first result of this new marriage was "Destroyer". The band now featured Gaahl on vocals, whose grim and aggressive voice led them to another level. A tour with Cradle of Filth followed, as well as plenty of festival and headlining shows. In 2000 "Incipit Satan" was recorded at Sunlight Studios and showed a new era in the realm of Gorgoroth. The songs, while a bit more refined and far more mature, still maintained their custom unyielding bestiality.

It took another three years, until the follow up to "Incipit Satan" was recorded. After the departure of guitar player Tormentor, Gorgoroth continue on as a four piece, adding another guitar player when it comes time for touring and live shows. "Twilight of the Idols" shows Gorgoroth from several sides and could possibly be the darkest chapter in their career. Finally it is traditional Black Metal of Norwegian origin, performed by the ones who know how it works and who do it the best."

Members:
Infernus (Roger Tiegs) - Vocals, Guitars
Gaahl - Vocals
King Ov Hell - Bass
Dirge Rep - Drums (Live)
Eihwaz (formerly Skagg) - Guitars (Live)

14.10.2009 - 07:27
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Gorgoroth, ok i get it...but why?
14.10.2009 - 10:42
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Guest on 14.10.2009 at 07:27

Gorgoroth, ok i get it...but why?

Eh? Get what, the album or the premise of the band?
15.10.2009 - 17:50
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
It just seems like Gorgoroth dwindles in a shadow of more succcess but still falls short. Their music is solid but nothing really sets them apart like the prog atmospheric likeness of borknagar or the symphonicness* of emperor and others. I think their live antics help give them a boost. I see them in the same arena as like dark funeral and marduk.
15.10.2009 - 18:21
Sunioj
I'd maybe agree that Gaahl era stuff can be bunched into the category of dare I say.. Marduk and Dark Funeral. But me being me, I'd much rather an Infernus album over any Emperor or Borknagar.
16.10.2009 - 10:17
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Znoy on 15.10.2009 at 18:37

HELLO, MOTHERFUCKERS!!! Yeah! Ok, Gorgoroth were amazing in Poland. So EXtremly and SATANIC! But Russian bands can play GREAT too. For example Dictator, Megakill Paranoid, Mad V, Fat Monsters, Anabios and so on>>>>
What is doing Cannibal Corpse? Ah? Album "KIll" is a Rubbish. Eaten back to life is good!
Ok, Tell me please... Metallica and Manowar are Bitches?

I use to be a big Cannibal Corpse fan but, their work went down hill. Not only did every album pretty much sound the same but, some how it became less entertaining, what do you expect from American death metal? Lots of fans from all metal genres still seem to like early Metallica, I could live without hearing another Metallica song from any of their albums, there was much better music from the mid to late 80's as well early 90's just before Metallica crapped out. Give me early Darkthrone any day over that crap! I don't know about Manowar, all I know is that they've been around for quite a while and from what I've actually listened to they don't appeal to me in the slightest.

stephenssaiyan: Albeit all three bands fit into the black metal genre but, as sub-genres they're each very differant from one another. Emperor should just have their own sub-genre of BM, Bork' is obviously symphonic BM and Gorgoroth well, they're just straight satanic black metal. I couldn't see how you'd compare Dark Funeral to the Gaahl era of Gorgoroth, not too sure about Marduk, I haven't gotten to their earlier releases but, from what I've heard they're blackened-death but, with a bit more death metal influence, so I don't think they compare to Gorgoroth that much, the vocal styles are too differant, and the lyrics are fairly differant as well.

Sunioj: I'd have to agree man. As much as I can appreciate what Emperor has done, and that i recognize their ability and differant take on BM compared to 90% of other BM bands from the past up to modern times, I'd prefer pretty much any era of Gorgoroth to Emperor..seems a bit "blasphemous" but, that's how it goes.

Speaking of Emperor... has there been any word at all on a possible new album? I thought I had read some thing a bit vague over a year ago about a new album. I believe there was also a really small tour back then, but aside from that I've not heard a damn thing.
16.10.2009 - 11:53
Hellkommando
Written by Bitter Dawn on 16.10.2009 at 10:17

Written by Znoy on 15.10.2009 at 18:37

HELLO, MOTHERFUCKERS!!! Yeah! Ok, Gorgoroth were amazing in Poland. So EXtremly and SATANIC! But Russian bands can play GREAT too. For example Dictator, Megakill Paranoid, Mad V, Fat Monsters, Anabios and so on>>>>
What is doing Cannibal Corpse? Ah? Album "KIll" is a Rubbish. Eaten back to life is good!
Ok, Tell me please... Metallica and Manowar are Bitches?

I use to be a big Cannibal Corpse fan but, their work went down hill. Not only did every album pretty much the same but, some how it became less entertaining, what do you expect from American death metal? Lots of fans from all metal genres still seem to like early Metallica, I could live without hearing another Metallica song from any of their albums, there was much better music from the mid to late 80's as well early 90's just before Metallica crapped out. Give me early Darkthrone any day over that crap! I don't know about Manowar, all I know is that they've been around for quite a while and from what I've actually listened to they don't appeal to me in the slightest.

stephenssaiyan: Albeit all three bands fit into the black metal genre but, as sub-genres they're each very differant from one another. Emperor should just have their own sub-genre of BM, Bork' is obviously symphonic BM and Gorgoroth well, they're just straight satanic black metal. I couldn't see how you'd compare Dark Funeral to the Gaahl era of Gorgoroth, not too sure about Marduk, I haven't gotten to their earlier releases but, from what I've heard they're blackened-death but, with a bit more death metal influence, so I don't think they compare to Gorgoroth that much, the vocal styles are too differant, and the lyrics are fairly differant as well.

Sunioj: I'd have to agree man. As much as I can appreciate what Emperor has done, and that i recognize their ability and differant take on BM compared to 90% of other BM bands from the past up to modern times, I'd prefer pretty much any era of Gorgoroth to Emperor..seems a bit "blasphemous" but, that's how it goes.

Speaking of Emperor... has there been any word at all on a possible new album? I thought I had read some thing a bit vague over a year ago about a new album. I believe there was also a really small tour back then, but aside from that I've not heard a damn thing.

I agree with your point about comparing Dark Funeral to Gorgoroth with Ghaal. DF have always maintained a fairly similar sound throughout their music, in particular their guitar sound. Comparing and classifying bands can be tricky task indeed. Just my 2 cents I think in regard to say black metal and death metal lyrical content and also lyrical style plays a fairly big part.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
21.10.2009 - 08:01
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'm left very unsatisfied with the new Gorgoroth album. Pest doesn't sound nearly as good as he used to and very little about the music is interesting. To make things worse, the ticky tack-sounding triggered bass drums are annoying.

Maybe King was right about Infernus, or maybe he was just rushed.
21.10.2009 - 11:32
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Desolate Gale: I think the only thing Dark Funeral and Gorgoroth in general have in common are, that they're both black metal, the lyrics are Satanic in nature and both tend to have a few album titles in Latin - even if some of the Dark Funeral album titles are incorrect Latin. I think that Caligula's vocals are a lot more natural or, at least the way they're processed they sound more real. Where as Gaahl, his vocals are really overprocessed, I have a program that enhances/alters vocals in very much the same way as the one they tend to use on Gaahl in Gorgoroth - as opposed to his work in Trelldom, Gaahlskagg etc. But, guitar styles and structure compared between the two bands are quite differant, Infernus seems to focus more around creating harmonic arpeggio pieces and then building around them, where Dark Funeral seems to emphasize more on heavy, steady and repetative riffs and accenting them with matched single string tremelos..just what I've analyized when I listen to the bands. Though, if I had to choose between Dark Funeral & Gorgoroth as a favourite, I'd be pretty hard pressed to decide. Really anticipating the new DF, especially after hearing "My Funeral", the drums are excecuted so well.

Dangerboner: I believe things were a little rushed, at least in the recording sense. All I know is there were some complications with hiring a guitarist so instead of Infernus giving the new guitarist time to learn, Infernus himself just recorded all the guitar...I'm not 100% sure but, I think the same or similar applies with the bass, that Infernus just did it, another reason may have been for the new members who weren't familiar with the new material to have time to learn in since they had a tour to start rather soon.
Initially I didn't think it really mattered that Gorgoroth lost King, I figured he was just another bassist, not exactly a vital part of the band but, it seems like he had some decent writing skills when he contributed to the band. Although it could have been a mix of all the Gaahl era members influence on writing but, new Gorgoroth compared to the Gaahl & King era you can definitely tell a big differance in style and sound, as well King's project "Jotunspor" is very well written and composed, the guy has some talent.
21.10.2009 - 21:59
Hellkommando
Written by Dangerboner on 21.10.2009 at 08:01

I'm left very unsatisfied with the new Gorgoroth album. Pest doesn't sound nearly as good as he used to and very little about the music is interesting. To make things worse, the ticky tack-sounding triggered bass drums are annoying.

Fair point dude, my feeling is the album was rushed, to me it just had a slightly rushed feel about it.

Bitter Dawn: Yeah for me I prefer DF to Gorgoroth, and yeah man he is a damn fine drummer in my book. Apparently he isn't sponsored either, lol.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
21.10.2009 - 22:26
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Hellkommando on 21.10.2009 at 21:59

Fair point dude, my feeling is the album was rushed, to me it just had a slightly rushed feel about it.

Bitter Dawn: Yeah for me I prefer DF to Gorgoroth, and yeah man he is a damn fine drummer in my book. Apparently he isn't sponsored either, lol.

That's some what reassuring, I hate seeing bands and their members whore themselves out to music companies, and I especially loathe signature series instruments.
23.10.2009 - 23:28
Slayer666

The new stuff is better than anything since Under The Sign of Hell... That said, I don't think it means much, Gorgoroth stepped into the area of mediocricy on Destroyer and after that. But, with this new release who's name is far too long for me to remember, they started going back on track. Mind you, STARTED. Not quite there yet, but they should be on the next release.
25.10.2009 - 16:07
Got Mayhem?
I think we can all agree that Pest really showed his age on this last album...I think by expecting another 'Under the Sign of Hell' we kinda set ourselves up for disappointment. The good news is that even though God Seed isn't happening we have that 'Ov Hell' project happening. It's basically God Seed with shagrath on vocals, meaning we get to hear who makes the better music: King or Infernus.
----
26.10.2009 - 12:00
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Got Mayhem? on 25.10.2009 at 16:07

I think we can all agree that Pest really showed his age on this last album...I think by expecting another 'Under the Sign of Hell' we kinda set ourselves up for disappointment. The good news is that even though God Seed isn't happening we have that 'Ov Hell' project happening. It's basically God Seed with shagrath on vocals, meaning we get to hear who makes the better music: King or Infernus.

Fuckin' christ... Ov Hell? I'm on their myspace page now - you can hear the blatant style of King's guitar, sounds just like his work in Gorgoroth.
Quote:
This group of Satan's all-stars have been sharpening their teeth in some of black metal's most influential bands for many years...the album will contain all of the power and blast beats worthy of their evil pedigrees.

That sounds cheesey as fuck, kind of like Shagraths vocals. Eh, mixed feelings about this band, so far based off the two tracks they have up the music itself sounds decent but, I can't say I particularily care for Shagrath.
26.10.2009 - 14:23
Hellkommando
Written by Bitter Dawn on 26.10.2009 at 12:00

Fuckin' christ... Ov Hell? I'm on their myspace page now - you can hear the blatant style of King's guitar, sounds just like his work in Gorgoroth.
Quote:
This group of Satan's all-stars have been sharpening their teeth in some of black metal's most influential bands for many years...the album will contain all of the power and blast beats worthy of their evil pedigrees.

That sounds cheesey as fuck, kind of like Shagraths vocals. Eh, mixed feelings about this band, so far based off the two tracks they have up the music itself sounds decent but, I can't say I particularily care for Shagrath.

I am already rather skeptical about it, I as well I am not big fan of Shagrath, but I am just not convinced it will turn out well. To be fair Ov Hell could turn out well and produce some good stuff, but I dunno im not convinced. Having a "good" lineup is one thing, producing good music is another.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
26.10.2009 - 21:08
Got Mayhem?
Written by Bitter Dawn on 26.10.2009 at 12:00

Quote:

I'm nearly convinced that Ov Hell is just a way for King to continue his 'Gorgoroth' even without Ghaal. It sounds exactly the same as the last few albums, just with a different vocalist.
----
27.10.2009 - 13:52
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Desolate Gale: The ability seems to be there, King is doing his usual style, can't really go wrong with Frost on drums (I recall he was suppose to do the drum work for the next Gorgoroth album before Infernus won the rights back), and well... I think it's just a shot in the dark, it'll have nice quality, decent music but seems to lack that extra some thing that truly makes the album. I suppose that in time we'll see.

Got Mayehm?: You're probably right man, and it does indeed sound just like the last few Gorgoroth albums when King was in the band.

What the hell is with King any ways? It's like this guy just came out of no where, the millenium hits and all of a sudden there's King, dabbling in a few bands, and now he's desperately trying to keep face within the black metal "scene". Not that wikipedia is all that of a reliable source but, the "King Ov Hell" wiki page claims that he's also a primary school teacher....?!
27.10.2009 - 19:23
Hellkommando
Written by Bitter Dawn on 27.10.2009 at 13:52

Desolate Gale: The ability seems to be there, King is doing his usual style, can't really go wrong with Frost on drums (I recall he was suppose to do the drum work for the next Gorgoroth album before Infernus won the rights back), and well... I think it's just a shot in the dark, it'll have nice quality, decent music but seems to lack that extra some thing that truly makes the album. I suppose that in time we'll see.

Got Mayehm?: You're probably right man, and it does indeed sound just like the last few Gorgoroth albums when King was in the band.

What the hell is with King any ways? It's like this guy just came out of no where, the millenium hits and all of a sudden there's King, dabbling in a few bands, and now he's desperately trying to keep face within the black metal "scene". Not that wikipedia is all that of a reliable source but, the "King Ov Hell" wiki page claims that he's also a primary school teacher....?!

Yes he is a teacher apparently, lol. Nergal from Behemoth is also qualified as a museum curator, he did history and some latin at uni.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
27.10.2009 - 21:37
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Hellkommando on 27.10.2009 at 19:23

Yes he is a teacher apparently, lol. Nergal from Behemoth is also qualified as a museum curator, he did history and some latin at uni.

At least Nergal's background seems usual. King is some what of an oxymoron then, as he plays in a misanthropic genre of music yet, he teaches little kids what ever the school board tells him...
30.10.2009 - 10:31
Slayer666
Written by Bitter Dawn on 27.10.2009 at 21:37

At least Nergal's background seems usual. King is some what of an oxymoron then, as he plays in a misanthropic genre of music yet, he teaches little kids what ever the school board tells him...

Well, that speaks for how honest he is in what he is doing....
Oh, I remember something about Frost teaching maths on some university... Any truth to that?
31.10.2009 - 02:53
Hellkommando
Written by Slayer666 on 30.10.2009 at 10:31

Written by Bitter Dawn on 27.10.2009 at 21:37

Well, that speaks for how honest he is in what he is doing....
Oh, I remember something about Frost teaching maths on some university... Any truth to that?

Yes Frost does teach mathematics.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
06.11.2009 - 11:57
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Fuckin' odd! At best (or worst) I had considered the prospect of becoming an art teacher for high school but, I can't imagine any school wanting to hire any one with tattoos down to the wrist, facial piercings and long hair that's prone to change colour. That and I'm not sure about working with kids.
06.11.2009 - 19:13
Hellkommando
Written by Bitter Dawn on 06.11.2009 at 11:57

Fuckin' odd! At best (or worst) I had considered the prospect of becoming an art teacher for high school but, I can't imagine any school wanting to hire any one with tattoos down to the wrist, facial piercings and long hair that's prone to change colour. That and I'm not sure about working with kids.

Depends where you teach, I know people that have tats and teach at rather highly regarded schools, they just simply wear long shirts, lol. But yeah the working with kids thing is understandable, and come on BD im sure you know art teachers are always weird.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
07.11.2009 - 03:09
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Hellkommando on 06.11.2009 at 19:13

Written by Bitter Dawn on 06.11.2009 at 11:57

Depends where you teach, I know people that have tats and teach at rather highly regarded schools, they just simply wear long shirts, lol. But yeah the working with kids thing is understandable, and come on BD im sure you know art teachers are always weird.

Art teachers are usually quirky at best, I've always had rather bland, strict and seemingly uncreative ones.. some theorize that they weren't good enough artists to do any thing better than teach high school kids.
07.11.2009 - 13:00
Warman
Erotic Stains
Well my art teacher in sixth grade was one of the reasons why I started listening to Metal. He had long black hair and black clothes. He borrowed me his Morbid Angel and Iron Maiden CD:s.
----
07.11.2009 - 15:22
-tom-
Mr FancyPants

Yep.

It starts to sound like Under the Sign for a minute until you realise it isn't going anywhere. Every song sounds like it's building up to something which never happens.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
07.11.2009 - 16:41
Hellish Star
I just saw a documentary about this band and it's singer... Pretty bizarre
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
07.11.2009 - 16:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hellish Star on 07.11.2009 at 16:41

You mean film where one british journalist go to orway, Ghaal takes him in some mountain house and in end Ghaal says ''you ask wrong quastens to me '' or it was other
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.11.2009 - 23:24
Hellish Star
Written by Bad English on 07.11.2009 at 16:50

Written by Hellish Star on 07.11.2009 at 16:41

You mean film where one british journalist go to orway, Ghaal takes him in some mountain house and in end Ghaal says ''you ask wrong quastens to me '' or it was other

Yes, it was that one
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
09.11.2009 - 11:23
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I believe they were actually American journalist from some music show, the producer who came along was a real dipshit as, he completely missed the entire point in making the journey to Gaahls fathers cabin in the mountain. They were also accompanied by the photographer Peter Beste.

Warman: That is pretty cool man, very rare. It took me nearly three years to finally realize and appreciate my art teacher because, he was so specific and anal about marking projects and, in the end it helped me gain a better technical perspective of creating art.
12.11.2009 - 14:38
Ginnung
I do enjoy the new album, it's raw and reminds me of the old Gorgoroth. Still, the production, especially the drums, is a too bit sterile I think. But that's what they wanted, I guess.