Metal Storm logo
Gorgoroth

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 10:18
"In 1994 Gorgoroth released their cult album "Pentagram" and soon became one of the leading acts of the growing scene. "Antichrist", their follow-up release, was even more successful and featured Frost (Satyricon) on drums. The album made a strong impact and consequently led to the bands first live performances in Norway and England (with Cradle of Filth) and finally to their first tour in 1996 with Dissection and Satyricon. With yet another drummer in their ranks, Gorgoroth recorded "Under The Sign Of Hell" and later prepared their first European Headliner-Tour. Nuclear Blast was highly impressed and felt a desire to court the band; by 1998 Gorgoroth had been added to Nuclear Blast's official band roster. The first result of this new marriage was "Destroyer". The band now featured Gaahl on vocals, whose grim and aggressive voice led them to another level. A tour with Cradle of Filth followed, as well as plenty of festival and headlining shows. In 2000 "Incipit Satan" was recorded at Sunlight Studios and showed a new era in the realm of Gorgoroth. The songs, while a bit more refined and far more mature, still maintained their custom unyielding bestiality.

It took another three years, until the follow up to "Incipit Satan" was recorded. After the departure of guitar player Tormentor, Gorgoroth continue on as a four piece, adding another guitar player when it comes time for touring and live shows. "Twilight of the Idols" shows Gorgoroth from several sides and could possibly be the darkest chapter in their career. Finally it is traditional Black Metal of Norwegian origin, performed by the ones who know how it works and who do it the best."

Members:
Infernus (Roger Tiegs) - Vocals, Guitars
Gaahl - Vocals
King Ov Hell - Bass
Dirge Rep - Drums (Live)
Eihwaz (formerly Skagg) - Guitars (Live)

14.12.2009 - 22:13
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
For the first time I can honestly say that I enjoyed a song from Gorgoroth. I finished up listening to "Satan-Prometheus" on their myspace and quite enjoyed it. While the production wasn't that great, I thought the overall songwriting was pretty good. There were as many suffocating blastbeats as usual, the riffing was more memorable than most of their songs, and I really enjoyed Pest's vocals (especially the clean ones) even though some people would argue he's not as good as he was. However, seeing I never really like Gorgoroth this comes as a breath of fresh air. This is just on the first listen, of one song, maybe if I pursue it more I'll either find out if it's actually good or not. Oh yeah, and Frank Watkins in corpse paint? Fucking' evil!

"REBIRTH OF GOR-GO-ROOOOOOOOOOOOOTH!" I thought that pretty fucking evil too.
----
The force will be with you, always.
14.12.2009 - 23:07
Hellish Star
New album kicks major ass!
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
14.12.2009 - 23:21
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Hellish Star on 14.12.2009 at 23:07

New album kicks major ass!

Yeah! I actually just finished listening to the whole thing (thanks youtube!). The new song on their myspace convinced me and I actually quite liked it. Another listen sometime will either enforce this or not.
----
The force will be with you, always.
15.12.2009 - 02:02
Detric
King Of Twilight
Whats gaahl and king doing now they arent in gorgoroth anymore? just playing in wardruna and sahg?
15.12.2009 - 11:37
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Detric on 15.12.2009 at 02:02

Whats gaahl and king doing now they arent in gorgoroth anymore? just playing in wardruna and sahg?

Gaahl is as far as I know still doing the Wardruna thing, interesting but I didn't care for it. King however, well, he's in this "super group!" with Frost and Shagrath, the band is called "Ov Hell" and sounds like a poor mix of Gaahl/King era Gorgoroth and late Dimmu Borgir. Good guitar work (sounds just like 200's Gorgoroth), but, the vocals are up to the listener to decide, I don't care for them myself.
15.12.2009 - 18:04
Detric
King Of Twilight
Okay in other words, their influence on the black metal scene is no more. i really liked gorgoroth with gaahl on vocals..shame they had to fight like little kids. they are shit now
16.12.2009 - 12:51
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Detric on 15.12.2009 at 18:04

Okay in other words, their influence on the black metal scene is no more. i really liked gorgoroth with gaahl on vocals..shame they had to fight like little kids. they are shit now

A shame yes but, if any thing they've reverted back to being closer to who they were when they started, it's still great, pure black metal.
08.02.2010 - 09:57
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
15.02.2010 - 02:40
Got Mayhem?
I dunno, it isn't easy to beat out people like Ellen Degeneres.

Review up for the lastest album, let me know what you think.
----
21.02.2010 - 06:06
Morka Graven
Their latest album is ORGASM MATERIAL.

Especially mid way through "Rebirth" even though it is just advertising for their Lineup change.
----
We can't keep on fighting in a world where nothing is of importance.
21.02.2010 - 06:08
Morka Graven
Written by Clintagräm on 14.12.2009 at 22:13

For the first time I can honestly say that I enjoyed a song from Gorgoroth. I finished up listening to "Satan-Prometheus" on their myspace and quite enjoyed it. While the production wasn't that great, I thought the overall songwriting was pretty good. There were as many suffocating blastbeats as usual, the riffing was more memorable than most of their songs, and I really enjoyed Pest's vocals (especially the clean ones) even though some people would argue he's not as good as he was. However, seeing I never really like Gorgoroth this comes as a breath of fresh air. This is just on the first listen, of one song, maybe if I pursue it more I'll either find out if it's actually good or not. Oh yeah, and Frank Watkins in corpse paint? Fucking' evil!

"REBIRTH OF GOR-GO-ROOOOOOOOOOOOOTH!" I thought that pretty fucking evil too.

midway through Rebirth made me orgasm harder and better than any 4hour sex session would do.
----
We can't keep on fighting in a world where nothing is of importance.
10.06.2010 - 23:21
Got Mayhem?
Geez, Gorgoroth is a band that I always keep coming back to and wondering why I haven't been listening to them 24/7. Something about their sound is crack to me. Every one of their vocalists has been fantastic in their own way in my book. Yep, even Ghaal, who aside from all the 'drama' crap that arises around him every other month, is a far above average BM vocalist. There are some days when I can just sit and listen to their discography and convince myself it was a day well spent. Musically Gorgoroth kick the ass out of their contemporary Norwegian Raw BM fellows nowadays. They are raw and dirty as hell but still manage to instill large amounts of feeling when needed.

So....good.
----
11.06.2010 - 14:46
vezzy
Stallmanite
Gorgoroth are one of my favorites. "Revelation of Doom" was the first song I heard by them. Liked them ever since.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
11.06.2010 - 21:37
Slayer666
Written by Got Mayhem? on 10.06.2010 at 23:21

Geez, Gorgoroth is a band that I always keep coming back to and wondering why I haven't been listening to them 24/7. Something about their sound is crack to me. Every one of their vocalists has been fantastic in their own way in my book. Yep, even Ghaal, who aside from all the 'drama' crap that arises around him every other month, is a far above average BM vocalist. There are some days when I can just sit and listen to their discography and convince myself it was a day well spent. Musically Gorgoroth kick the ass out of their contemporary Norwegian Raw BM fellows nowadays. They are raw and dirty as hell but still manage to instill large amounts of feeling when needed.

My man.
I've been in love with Gorgoroth since I first heard "Pentagram" back when I was 11. At first, I just really liked the drumms and the speed, but as time went on, I was able to feel the evil atmosphere that was simply pouring from the album. It's one of my favorite albums to this very day, in fact. Needless to say, "Antichrist" and "Under The Sign of Hell" are masterpieces as well.
About Gaahl... yeah, he wasn't a bad vocalist, but I belive he was affecting the band very badly. So bad that I like to pretend that "Incipit Satan" and "Twilight of The Idols" don't exist. Not the mention all the fucking drama and media-whoreness that followed him.
Although, I'm a bit dissapointed with the latest release. It's not bad, and Infernius is surely taking the steps in the right direction, but they are merely baby steps, at least for now. I can't wait for them to release the next album, that one may bring all the awesomeness of old Gorgoroth back.
11.06.2010 - 21:54
Got Mayhem?
Written by Slayer666 on 11.06.2010 at 21:37

I've been in love with Gorgoroth since I first heard "Pentagram" back when I was 11. At first, I just really liked the drumms and the speed, but as time went on, I was able to feel the evil atmosphere that was simply pouring from the album. It's one of my favorite albums to this very day, in fact. Needless to say, "Antichrist" and "Under The Sign of Hell" are masterpieces as well.
About Gaahl... yeah, he wasn't a bad vocalist, but I belive he was affecting the band very badly. So bad that I like to pretend that "Incipit Satan" and "Twilight of The Idols" don't exist. Not the mention all the fucking drama and media-whoreness that followed him.
Although, I'm a bit dissapointed with the latest release. It's not bad, and Infernius is surely taking the steps in the right direction, but they are merely baby steps, at least for now. I can't wait for them to release the next album, that one may bring all the awesomeness of old Gorgoroth back.

Yea that's basically the conclusion I came to in my review of "Quantos" as well. It was pretty solid work but nothing jawdropping.
----
11.06.2010 - 23:47
Slayer666
Written by Got Mayhem? on 11.06.2010 at 21:54

Written by Slayer666 on 11.06.2010 at 21:37

Yea that's basically the conclusion I came to in my review of "Quantos" as well. It was pretty solid work but nothing jawdropping.

Yeah, but "Quantos" has some really standout songs. If the next album is filled with tracks as purely amazing as "Sathan-Prometheus", I think I'll have an orgasm listening to it.
13.06.2010 - 00:50
Got Mayhem?
Written by Slayer666 on 11.06.2010 at 23:47

Written by Got Mayhem? on 11.06.2010 at 21:54

Yeah, but "Quantos" has some really standout songs. If the next album is filled with tracks as purely amazing as "Sathan-Prometheus", I think I'll have an orgasm listening to it.

Yep, it really did. That's another thing about Gorgoroth - every one of their albums (except perhaps for Destroyer which lacks a consistent feel because of how it was recorded) has a 'feel' that I find to be extremely enjoyable to listen to. It's not really overly complex or original music either, they just have hit the bank on their particular sound. Based on "Quantos" I'm more excited than ever for another release.
----
28.06.2010 - 02:10
Vndergrovnd
Gorgoroth is the band which got me into the real sound of black metal. There is no overly played elements in trve BM, just straight-up, dissonant, hateful, viciously aggressive, and cryptically meaningful creativity. It fights a psychological war against what really rots the mind; moral enslavement. I was weened on bands like Cradle or Dimmu before Gorgoroth, now in the depths of the underground, I have found the most intense of expression possible for the genre. Feelings of despair and grief can make such spellbinding music just as hate and anger do. Metal can really express anything.
29.06.2010 - 23:41
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Them guys are just disgusting!! seriously!
----
Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will.
30.06.2010 - 00:08
Got Mayhem?
Written by Born-2rise on 29.06.2010 at 23:41

Good disgusting or bad disgusting?

It's so hard to tell these days
----
30.06.2010 - 00:17
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Written by Got Mayhem? on 30.06.2010 at 00:08

Written by Born-2rise on 29.06.2010 at 23:41

Good disgusting or bad disgusting?

It's so hard to tell these days

BAD disgusting dude!! of course bad disgusting, hanging bitches on crosses is good distgusting? eww dude
----
30.06.2010 - 00:21
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Dont forget ripping out as guys ball just cuz he made fun of the lead singer, and living alone in a mountain wat the fuck is up with htat? well i guess i can live with that but not the other shit that stuff is just DISTURBING! i dont know how u eople like them mentally deranged retards.
----
30.06.2010 - 00:23
Malevolent-Jim
Written by Born-2rise on 30.06.2010 at 00:21

Dont forget ripping out as guys ball just cuz he made fun of the lead singer, and living alone in a mountain wat the fuck is up with htat? well i guess i can live with that but not the other shit that stuff is just DISTURBING! i dont know how u eople like them mentally deranged retards.

You're clearly missing the point.Half of the appeal with these kind of bands is that the musicians are edgy and insane and therefore totally awesome. /sarcasm.
30.06.2010 - 00:25
Got Mayhem?

That's mostly stuff that one particular member who is no longer part of the band did. He payed for his crimes. As for the mock crucifixions they're done safely and performed by actors who are payed for their services.

As for liking 'them mentally deranged retards', they make some of the best BM to have graced this rotten earth. Try looking at the music before the artist.
----
30.06.2010 - 00:30
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Written by Got Mayhem? on 30.06.2010 at 00:25

That's mostly stuff that one particular member who is no longer part of the band did. He payed for his crimes. As for the mock crucifixions they're done safely and performed by actors who are payed for their services.

As for liking 'them mentally deranged retards', they make some of the best BM to have graced this rotten earth. Try looking at the music before the artist.

i did not say their music was bad... they make great stuff and i enjoy listening to them. but i second jim up there, their way of public appeal isn't impressive at all.
----
30.06.2010 - 00:32
Got Mayhem?
Written by Born-2rise on 30.06.2010 at 00:30

i did not say their music was bad... they make great stuff and i enjoy listening to them. but i second jim up there, their way of public appeal isn't impressive at all.

That's fine man! It was just hard to understand what you were getting at about Gorgoroth from what I originally quoted
----
30.06.2010 - 00:39
Born-2rise
Nayyiker

haha its cool dude, and thanks! i was bored and looking for a good arguemtnt tonight and i got one
----
30.06.2010 - 15:46
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!

Despite that comments have already been made and so on and so forth..I can't resist this one.

Now, while I do have mixed feelings about Gaahl after his whole stunt regarding himself, King and Infernus, plus a few other publicity attention grabbers. I still agree with Gaahl's decision to teach that redneck a lesson, it may have seemed like an "extreme" action but, you can be sure that the man who was tortured won't try that shit again; at least not on Gaahl.
As for their stage theatrics well, that's all part of the message and purpose of black metal, as are the church burnings of the past.
30.06.2010 - 16:14
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Written by Bitter Dawn on 30.06.2010 at 15:46

Despite that comments have already been made and so on and so forth..I can't resist this one.

Now, while I do have mixed feelings about Gaahl after his whole stunt regarding himself, King and Infernus, plus a few other publicity attention grabbers. I still agree with Gaahl's decision to teach that redneck a lesson, it may have seemed like an "extreme" action but, you can be sure that the man who was tortured won't try that shit again; at least not on Gaahl.
As for their stage theatrics well, that's all part of the message and purpose of black metal, as are the church burnings of the past.

And church burnings are things you are proud of as a metalhead?? Those dumbasses are the very reason why every other person thinks metalheads are all like that, they are the the face of the deteriorating image of metalheads from the perspective of many common people.
----
30.06.2010 - 17:08
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Born-2rise on 30.06.2010 at 16:14

Written by Bitter Dawn on 30.06.2010 at 15:46

And church burnings are things you are proud of as a metalhead?? Those dumbasses are the very reason why every other person thinks metalheads are all like that, they are the the face of the deteriorating image of metalheads from the perspective of many common people.

Most of the time those people are just f**ked in the head or lost, but have generally good intentions, especially musically (although I don't necessarily agree with Euronymous' "black metal circle" and convincing every death metal band to go black, that was the past though so w/e). Church burnings are just violent protest against Christianity, which most black metal artists look down to, or blaspheme and hate.

As for Gaahl, he's a joke. Like Kam Lee once said, "I don't get why people take metal so seriously. It's all one big joke to me." Well, I don't exactly believe that, but I do think Gaahl does take this "satanic black metal" thing too far. Acting like a badass Punisher-like guy after torturing that trespasser while causing all sorts of drama before, then coming out, then starting a women's clothes line named "happiness".

At least Glen Benton was being sarcastic.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.