04. Oppbrennerbønn
05. Olav Tryggvason
06. Mellomspell
07. Tre Skygger...
08. Tjernet
09. De To Spellemenn
10. Finnkjerringa
11. Endetoner

Norway is the land of some exquisite black metal for a long time already. Norway also seems to be making most outstanding melodic black metal. Borknagar and Arcturus are already the brightest stars in this constellation. Since 2006 it can be said that another one's appearing there as Myrkgrav, the one-man act created by Lars Jensen in 2003, released the first full-length album with a lengthy title "Trollskau, Skrømt og Kølabrenning." English title being "Trollish Woods, Wraiths and Coalburning" respectively.

The album is a collection based on the Norwegian cultural heritage, old stories and tales from the countryside where the author of the songs lives. He has placed the main stress on expressing the spirit of his homeland by putting it into a beautiful form of melodic black metal. Thus comes the main positive side of the album, namely the melodies which, although sometimes being slightly too modest, are in many cases brilliant and catchy. This is no fast nor aggressive music but a calm contemplative walk in the woods and wilderness, exploring the wonders of the land of the trolls. Every aspect is balanced and in right place and the atmosphere reaches the audience just as Lars Jensen most likely wished.

The vocals are strong and fine. The use of extreme and clean singing is nicely in balance, providing the atmosphere with necessary colours and effects. Benita Eriksdatter is the female vocalist in the first song "Gygra og St. Olav" performing in the role of Gygra, a female character from a Norse tale. All in all both the vocal and instrumental work can be compared to these of Borknagar and Tyr. The particular Norwegian dialect used in the lyrics plays a very important role in the atmosphere and expressiveness of the songs. Even though the lyrics may not be understandable to those who are not native Norwegian speakers the main idea is after all to make the audiences acquainted with the heritage of the Norwegian countryside, nature and all of its rich history.

Among the best tracks of the album are "Fela Etter'n Far" and "De To Spellemenn". "Trollskau?" is a good first album by a very promising melodic metal artist capable of continuing the style of the classical Borknagar and Arcturus, as well as also bringing some new freshness into all of it. The vocals may not yet be on the level of Heri Joensen or Garm but there are high hopes placed on Lars and his works. May "Trollskau?" be a successful first step on the musical path and may Myrkgrav offer the audiences better and better releases every time.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Ernis | 24.12.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 58 users
01.02.2009 - 19:53
Rating: 9
iaberis
Advice Troll
Can't understand shit from what he's singing about, but the music is very good. And the vocals go really well. A very good album in general both for blackers and folkers.
----
Bitch! Please
28.09.2009 - 09:36
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Maybe i should play this album again to me...i have it, listened to it, but i dont even remember it
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

12.02.2011 - 09:29
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
The operatic vocals sound like Cosmocrator.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.

Hits total: 4476 | This month: 5