03. Anyone
04. Neurotted
05. Beat Me Down
06. Railway To...
07. Burepolom
08. Still Love
09. The Traveller
10. Falling From Eternity

Damnit! This is by far the most interesting release of '08 for me and I'm reviewing it at the beginning of the new year!

Anyway let's start at the beginning. The very first thing I thought upon receiving this CD was "What the fuck is that on the cover?" After a lot of intense staring I managed to figure out that it must be some kind of (uncomfortable) mechanical chair that someone can be fastened to. The second question was what the album title (written in Cyrillic letters) means. Luckily the promo sheet added with the CD told me it's "Burepolom" the name of a tiny Russian village in the middle of nowhere. And when we ask Wikipedia it tells us "Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is an anxiety disorder that can develop after exposure to one or more terrifying events that threatened or caused grave physical harm."

Those were the easy things to explain, now on to the music. Before writing this review I read a few already existing ones on the net, just out of curiosity. I've seen this album being called nu metal, deathcore, progressive and even emo - all very wrong in my humble opinion. Most of the time reviewers stuck with what the promo sheet said though; "depressive crossover metal". My own genre classification has to be "depressive progressive alternative metal" though. Can't imagine what it sounds like? No problem!

Think of Korn, Katatonia, Faith No More, Alice In Chains, Deftones, Paradise Lost, Soulfly and maybe a bit of Evergrey; then proceed by cutting various elements of their music out and gluing them together in a wild but carefully thought-out structure. If you managed to do that you get something comparable to Burepolom.

With two guitarists most of the album is quite heavy, yet there are also a few relatively calm moments, these are further enforced by the occasional use of short keyboard parts. The vocals vary between clean singing, screaming, shouting, grunting and growling. Sometimes the music seems to be totally chaotic but sooner or later it will always return a perfectly structured state. Rough and melodic, structured and chaotic, progressive and straightforward, unpredictable yet so familiar at times, P.T.S.D. do all of it at the same time. Every single song is totally different and there is always a truckload of things going on.

Perhaps some of you will listen to this and find it absolutely uninteresting, this is hardly an "easy" CD to fully grasp. I myself needed quite a number of listens until I was fully convinced, I started out thinking "Hmm, kinda interesting" and now I consider this album a genius piece of art. Who knows, maybe I'm the one who's hyping this band without any reason at all and all of you will shake your heads and wonder why this release seems so amazing to me. However while listening to it right now I couldn't care less.

If you really hate either gothic or alternative metal and are rather close-minded about it, or if you have problems with completely erratic and unpredictable music, don't listen to it. You'll probably hate it. As for me, all I can say is "Wow!". Apart from that I consider this being one of the most interesting CDs that I have ever heard; I just remembered reading that this is their debut album. I can't wait for more.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written by Bas | 03.02.2009

Comments

Comments: 19   Visited by: 151 users
03.02.2009 - 23:36
Elio
Red Nightmare
WTF! Is it really THAT good? and if yes, why did we discover them so late?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
03.02.2009 - 23:47
Rating: 9
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Elio on 03.02.2009 at 23:36

WTF! Is it really THAT good? and if yes, why did we discover them so late?

it's really special music and I doubt that most of the users would like it... but if you ask me, yes it certainly is!!
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
03.02.2009 - 23:58
MetalManic

From what I gathered from their myspace, this album is amazing. Nice review BTW. I totally agree with what you said about how reviewers typically SUCK when it comes to defining the genre or whatever. I mean seriously, did someone really classify these guys as EMO?
04.02.2009 - 00:01
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by MetalManic on 03.02.2009 at 23:58

From what I gathered from their myspace, this album is amazing. Nice review BTW. I totally agree with what you said about how reviewers typically SUCK when it comes to defining the genre or whatever. I mean seriously, did someone really classify these guys as EMO?

i didnt say reviewers typically suck at it... it would be more correct to say i often disagree with other reviewers
and yes, one guy wrote "for being an emo band, i must admit they're pretty good" in his review
----
04.02.2009 - 02:01
Talvi

Lol after reading the review I have no fucking idea what is this like. Bad music description.

But fuck, that still sounds crazy. Maybe it deserves a spin.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
04.02.2009 - 02:24
FOOCK Nam

Nice name and nice description in the review
04.02.2009 - 14:11
Damnated
Churchburner
Completely erratic and unpredictable music? are you kidding? this is REALLY predictable and boring. and those vocals. fuck, i can't get them out of my ears. this sounds like Korn with less balls and a wanker for a vocalist.

note to self: never check out reviews with start with "the most interesting release of '08 for me".
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
04.02.2009 - 19:38
Darkside Momo
Retired
Now that sounds interesting. I'll certainly check it out.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
04.02.2009 - 20:17
Unholy_Emperor

Maybe I'm a little close minded, maybe this review is really overrated.. who knows.

The only thing I'm sure is that I don't like it.

P.D. As Damnated said, the vocals are horrible.
04.02.2009 - 20:46
Bas
Retired Staff
Actually i think the vocalist is great, probably "too alternative metal" for your tastes
also the amount of variation he manages to get into this CD with his different vocal-types is amazing
----
05.02.2009 - 10:38
Bas
Retired Staff
Looking at your favourite band list i wonder why you even checked them out to begin with, if you can't stand stuff like Korn you should have known that this isn't your type of thing AT ALL :

I can only write the reviews, if you don't read really read them or check out something that is obviously not your thing according to the review that's not my responsibility :
----
05.02.2009 - 11:13
HENRY GUY

Hy!
I'm Henry Guy(Lead Vocal) from PTSD Staff.
I would like to thanks everyone who has been involved in this projects
and give us the opportunity to make this dream come true.
We hope to come in your country for some promotional gigs
"touring BUREPOLOM".
Tnx BAS for review At this moment on metal.de we are the BEST
NU-COMERof 2008 and the album is going very well...
P.T.S.D. has captured the interest of the US director Richard Terrasi of Dark Vision Films that proposed to the band
the possibility to put 3 songs of the album ("Anyone", "Neurotted", "Still Love") as a soundtrack. The film is titled "Am I Evil" and is
resulted as winner of the best director premium in the Horror Festival in U.S.A.
At this moment the band is working on the videoclips for the song "Anyone" under the attention of Alessandro Castriota.

JOIN THE FAMILY!
HENRY GUY PTSD
www.myspace.com/postraumatic
www.p-tsd.com
info@p-tsd.com
www.mykingdommusic.net
www.masterpiecedistribution.com
07.02.2009 - 02:35
Trinity Blood

Checked it out...huge disappointment...terrible music terrible vocals
09.02.2009 - 05:45
..ExoTeaR..

D/L as soon as im home from work =P
----
[-0-] Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
14.02.2009 - 00:44
Darkside Momo
Retired
Well, this album is good and interesting for sure.
And I can understand that the vocals might not be to everyone's taste, but I think they fit nicely to the music and that the singer is good (he can vary a lot!)
However, I do think that this band can distance themselve more of their influences and record a better album... A really good debut anyway!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
24.02.2009 - 05:36
I, The Quatropus

Recently picked up Burepolom. I enjoy it a lot, although it does seem a tad repetitive.
Excellent attempt though, PTSD sure does have potential.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
01.03.2009 - 13:06
HENRY GUY

New space on line!
check it out!
10.03.2009 - 20:08
HENRY GUY

Nu videoclip on line
check it out!
21.03.2009 - 04:37
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Interesting album. Actually, I think you gave it a perfect score (although I personally don't rate albums anymore): it is concise yet varied, includes an intelligent amalgamation of modern metal with intelligently crafted older elements and features some great songwriting. At the same time, it is not exactly orginal, since bands like Dredg and even Korn and Incubus have done similar music in the past. Nevertheless, I find Burepolom to be a very enjoyable release and Im curious as to what these guys will get up to in the future.

Hits total: 5333 | This month: 8