Metal Storm logo
Blackguard (also known as Profugus Mortis)

05.02.2009 - 17:15
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I'm very proud to live in Quebec, and at large, in Canada, because we have great bands here and one of them is called Blackguard (known until recently as Profugus Mortis). Blackguard might as well be my favourite metal band from Quebec and I'm so very sad to realize they are widely unknown so far (cause they are destined to fame, at least in their home country). They mix Children Of Bodom-esque Extreme Power Metal with Black/Folk Metal. You could compare them with Ensiferum, with a more melodic sound and Catamenia-like vocals. Throw in a violin and upbeat keyboards and that's how Blackguard sounds. But how the hell can such a band exist in Montreal? Their music exudes Finnish influences, and that's what's great with that band: they are almost unique in North America. So, if you haven't tried it yet, I strongly recommend it to you!

So, now you've been introduced to the band, discuss!
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
05.02.2009 - 19:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I know this band, and iMO its mothing special, belive me if there was no i net and metal-archive snon woould know this band outside Canada
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.02.2009 - 22:28
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Ya, this band is really not unique in any way. I could see them being popular only because of the fanatic fans that suck up any kind of folk metal like cocain
----
Coldgrits
06.02.2009 - 17:31
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Look, I encourage local bands and Blackguard is the only folk band I know in Quebec. I guess I would be a little more blasé if I was American or Swedish, since I'd live in a country with about one billion different bands that almost all sound the same, but I'm Quebecer and it's great to have bands like Augury, Unexpect and Blackguard based in Montreal. And I didn't say they were unique, I said they had a sound almost unheard of in North America. I compared them with CoB, Ensiferum and Catamenia, so of course they're not unique... But they're very good and I love them. You have to try Another Round - EP to judge them, cause it's very different from their debut.
----
16.02.2009 - 23:38
VPeter
Actually that almost sounds Deathcore and that's not really something positive... at least the vocals.
17.02.2009 - 01:28
bard
I checked them out not so long ago because I'll be seeing them in Paganfest in a few months, and I wasn't disappointed. I mean, yeah, I only really liked them because they sounded kinda like Ensiferum or Children of Bodom, but...they'll be nice, sort of as a ghetto version of Ensiferum to cover up their absence this year.

And metalomorphis brings up a good point, they only really stand out for me because they are from Canada, and I don't think I've ever really listened to a Canadian band.
----
19.02.2009 - 02:04
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by bard on 17.02.2009 at 01:28

I checked them out not so long ago because I'll be seeing them in Paganfest in a few months, and I wasn't disappointed. I mean, yeah, I only really liked them because they sounded kinda like Ensiferum or Children of Bodom, but...they'll be nice, sort of as a ghetto version of Ensiferum to cover up their absence this year.

And metalomorphis brings up a good point, they only really stand out for me because they are from Canada, and I don't think I've ever really listened to a Canadian band.

Then try Into Eternity, Kataklysm or Unexpect, dude. Into Eternity is like a mix between death, black, heavy and power ; Kataklysm is death with incredile blast beats ; Unexpect is impossible to classify and the violin gives a touch of folk, but that band is not for the faint of heart, it's very weird... but awesome.
----
11.04.2009 - 21:46
Lord_Regnier
Blinded By Faith is much better than Profugus Mortis was on "So It Begins", when it comes to melodic Black Metal from Quebec. Check "Under An Occult Sun" and "Weapons Of Mass Distraction".

As for Blackguard, I'll talk about it on another thread. Let's only say here it's not melodic BM anymore since they have changed their name for Blackguard.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
14.04.2009 - 19:36
grand_corbeau
Account deleted
Because they are from Canada is not a good reason to like them, they play some generic folk metal and that's all, nothing really impressive.
14.04.2009 - 19:43
Lord_Regnier
Written by Guest on 14.04.2009 at 19:36

Because they are from Canada is not a good reason to like them, they play some generic folk metal and that's all, nothing really impressive.

I agree. Instead of playing melodic Black Metal like on "So It Begins", they sold out to Nuclear Blast, imo, and play something that sounds to me like Powermetal with harsh vocals. I didn't even bother to buy the new album.

And I agree with the guy who says the vocals have a little -core thing sometimes.

I expect much more from the next Blinded By Faith album that will probably be released this year.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
14.12.2009 - 23:20
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
I heard these guys when they opened up for Ensiferum last month and I found that they were quite impressive. They had a lot of energy and put on a good show. I don't own any of their albums yet, but I like them so far.
16.12.2009 - 19:23
HugeTheConqeror
I saw them on Paganfest, Summer Slaughter, and most recently opening for Ensiferum. I wasn't following them around or anything, they just have been touring that much, and attached to shows that I really wanted to see.

That said, the touring has done a lot to improve them live. Their most recent set was way tighter, more focused, and more energetic than when I saw them the first time with Pagan Fest. I don't think that they are the best band out there, but they are maturing. I wouldn't write them off yet.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
19.12.2009 - 04:44
MetalSpider
Saw them live with Moonsorrow about 2 years ago (when they were still known as Profugis). They were pretty intense though I cant say I care for their music.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
20.12.2009 - 22:52
Hylia
I've seen them live about 3 times only because they were opening for other bands that I liked. The actual instruments were okay, but I hated the vocals. Too hardcore.
06.07.2010 - 01:21
Sulac
I'll be seeing these guys in September opening for Kamelot. I'm looking forward to the experience, even though I'm not a fan of the band, because, who knows, maybe seeing them live will change my opinion of them.
06.04.2011 - 15:59
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
From generic Folk metal to outstanding Extreme Power metal

It's been a while since I opened this thread and the band has released two LP's since then. If want to know what I thought about "Profugus Mortis", read my review. As for "Firefight"... OMFG if you were waiting for the album that would change your opinion about Blackguard, here it is. Except for the vocals that are still deathcore-like, every aspect of the bad has improved. The guitars and drums are much better than ever before, the production is perfect and the over-present folksy keyboards are replaced by more subtle symphonic arrangements reminiscent of Blinded By Faith or even DB. If you ever cared for Extreme Power metal, there's no way you want to miss this.
----
14.04.2011 - 23:54
hailthecrisis
I wouldn't go as far as saying Firefight will change anyone's opinion of Blackguard, but I do agree that it is a big step up from Profugus Mortis.