Metal Storm logo
The future of coverdesign...

06.02.2009 - 01:23
Walter Iego
Author
I've been a designer for over twenty years now, and been in the musicbusiness since 2001; I've worked with so many artists and bands that I have come to a point now where I wonder just what the future of coverdesign is... Where do we go from here when everything is going digital, and I mean that in it's most abstract form. Do you guys still pay attention to covers and art or do you just dismiss it?
06.02.2009 - 03:40
Darkside Momo
Retired
Yes I do, but sure music is most important. I still think that artwork should be in tune with the music.
And, as I don't like just digital music, I mean I like my original CD (even if I listen to it in MP3 while walking in the street), so I like the artwork. Or no. But I still want it anyway.
Hope I've been clear (I'm going to sleep)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
06.02.2009 - 05:19
tulkas
el parcero
Like d. momo said, artwork should be in tune with the music the band play, or the album theme, if it's the case. in a way, i think that artwork helps to draw attention to not only the album but the band also. it's not something that will ultimatly define if the band is good or if they suck, but i mean like, if you see something interesting nd well done in a cover the you'll expect the music to be the same. at least i do, sometimes.

and in terms of where artwork is going... i don't know, i'm not a designer, but imo it's like what i've said, since every album is different in many ways, that could help the designer to do something according to it
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
06.02.2009 - 11:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Cover arwork already changed a lot due to change from LP to the much smaller cd format. I think it will chage much more with the advent of legal/illegal downloading where most people don't regard their music collection as a collection of albums but as a collection of songs. This will btw also change the writing process of many a band I am sure.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.02.2009 - 12:52
Walter Iego
Author
For me, doing all these artworks - I feel there is still a need for good cover art, art that uplifts the music and complements it, just as it used to do in "the good old days". I agree, the LP-format was great for cover, but I think the CD still has potential, it is not that small that you can't make out details, but it has some restrictions. We'll have to wait and see what the future will bring, the most important thing is that we keep supporting the bands in any way we can.
24.02.2009 - 07:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Artwork is important in some cases. Sometimes I buy an album simply because the front cover kicks ass, and I've had good luck so far when buying albums this way. It makes the music seem that much better when you're listening to an awesome album with equally awesome album artwork to look at. Take High On Fires "Death Is This Communion" as a grand example.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.02.2009 - 17:10
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I indeed pay attention on cover art...and i am more willing to get nice covered cds than those with ugly cover art
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

24.02.2009 - 19:46
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Doc G. on 24.02.2009 at 07:08

High On Fires "Death Is This Communion" as a grand example.

One of the best covers of the recent years indeed.
----

I am awake"
25.02.2009 - 15:24
Walter Iego
Author
Nice to read you love covers!
26.02.2009 - 09:29
GT
Coffee!!
I agree with the rest here. Covers are important to me too and I, like Dr.Rock and Ellrohir, have bought CDs just because of the cover.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
26.02.2009 - 14:34
Darkside Momo
Retired
The only CD I bought because of the cover was for a band I already knew and liked... So there wasn't a great risk here (I'm pretty cautiuos when buying albums).
BTW this was My Dying Bride's Deeper Down single
----

I am awake"
01.03.2009 - 15:00
Walter Iego
Author
The "My Dying Bride" cover is awesome; I think I need to check them out
07.03.2009 - 10:05
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by GT on 26.02.2009 at 09:29

I agree with the rest here. Covers are important to me too and I, like Dr.Rock and Ellrohir, have bought CDs just because of the cover.

It really back fires when you get an album with a really good cover but the music just sucks (for instance, I loved the cover of the latest In Flames album but I can't stand In Flames). But the most noteworthy one I made a purchase of was this shitty hardcore band called 100 Demons, I absolutely loved the album art, but the music was just dreadful:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DhlqQqLy1k4/RvNaJGhJ4lI/AAAAAAAAADI/eQX9LsT7Iks/s320/100+Demons+-+100+Demons.jpg
----
- George Carlin
08.03.2009 - 14:18
GT
Coffee!!
@Dr.Rock: yeah that might happen, but that's the chances you have to take once in a while. I don't think I've ever picked up something really shitty this way, but that will happen someday
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
08.03.2009 - 17:48
Ernis
狼獾
I remember how I saw the cover of Mandragora Scream's "A Whisper Of Dew" and it immediately caught me....hypnotising beautiful album art....plus I discovered the good Gothic band behind it....
09.03.2009 - 00:11
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Personally, I think there needs to be more painted covers like the ones done by Dan Seagrave, where the art actually compels you to buy the album. However, I also like covers dealing with outer space and similar themes, like the covers on albums like Origin's "Echoes of Decimation" or Gory Blister's "Skymorphosis". Whenever I look at album covers like those, I get a feeling of transcendence.
09.03.2009 - 03:26
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Doc G. on 07.03.2009 at 10:05

Written by GT on 26.02.2009 at 09:29

It really back fires when you get an album with a really good cover but the music just sucks (for instance, I loved the cover of the latest In Flames album but I can't stand In Flames). But the most noteworthy one I made a purchase of was this shitty hardcore band called 100 Demons, I absolutely loved the album art, but the music was just dreadful:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DhlqQqLy1k4/RvNaJGhJ4lI/AAAAAAAAADI/eQX9LsT7Iks/s320/100+Demons+-+100+Demons.jpg

I'd stay away from any album art of this generation with a samurai on it. 100 demons is a good example of that. Another prime example would be Winds Of Plagues album, Decimate the Weak. It has a terrible picture of a Samurai on it AND its one of the worst things that man has created musically.
----
Coldgrits
09.03.2009 - 10:40
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
...better not include the use of awful CGI abortions.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
09.03.2009 - 19:50
brapp32

I think your nuts if you by a cd based on the cover art. As much as I like a cool cd cover it's all about the music with me. I wouldn't own half the CDs I have if I based it on album covers. Winds of plague is the perfect example. I like the band but the whole samauri thing is kind of stupid.
02.05.2009 - 08:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by brapp32 on 09.03.2009 at 19:50

I think your nuts if you by a cd based on the cover art. As much as I like a cool cd cover it's all about the music with me. I wouldn't own half the CDs I have if I based it on album covers. Winds of plague is the perfect example. I like the band but the whole samauri thing is kind of stupid.

Well, I wouldn't go out and base an entire album shopping trip on cool looking covers, but more of a "Well, Ive got some extra money, but dont know what to get" type decision makers. For example, I go to the store and I plan on getting, lets say Painkiller, Fear Of The Dark, and Resurrection Through Carnage, but the CD store has a sale on thats a "Buy 3, get 1 free" deal, and I don't see anything else I recognize on the shelf, but the cover of Pelicans "City Of Echoes" looks interesting, so I grab it, turns out to be an interesting album. This type of situation has happened to me many times before....just not necessarily the same titles.
----
- George Carlin
04.05.2009 - 16:51
brapp32

I got what you are saying. I wish they had buy 3 get 1 free deals at the music places by me. I like places like FYE that let you listen to parts of songs before you buy the cd you are looking at.
21.05.2009 - 01:23
Throne Dweller

I won't dismiss an album if the album art is low quality, but it's more incentive to like the band when they can portray their own sound with imagery.

And then there's times when looking for random albums, I always end up getting a CD with a good cover, so I know that at least they put THAT much effort into it.

I think it's really just a show of commitment on the band's part.
12.06.2009 - 20:47
Walter Iego
Author
In many cases the bands don't get a say in the coverart, I always try to listen to the bands vision of their music to make the art "true"... Keep supporting music guys, and art of course...
13.08.2010 - 21:35
DaMengXiang

Hi Monowasp,
thank you very much for answering bevor.

Recently, I am searching for information about coverdesign and have read your comments at metalstorm, which I find quite interessting.
If you would describe me how you´ve got to work into the profession of an coverdesigner I would be very thankfull, because the information I could find in the internet about this topic is rather short.

Did you get to work as an coverdesigner by chance, and how?
Or did you made connection with special coverdesign companies?(I have seen some for book covering but have no idea to get into or if I have chances without design/communicationdesign/media/etc.bachelor of arts)
I am aware that the conditions for today have maybe changed, but if you have any idea or hint for me it would be great.

Thank you very much and sorry for stealing your time

Greetings

Chanthal
20.10.2010 - 16:15
Kennoth

Oh yeah, I like the covers that fit the lyrics and the music the band creates. Sometimes when I'm listening to a song from a certain album, first thing that I'm associated with/pops in my head is the cover. So, a good cover is a great addition to the listening experience, at least for me.
----
*insert something deep and profound*