Metal Storm logo
The metal scene in your area

Original post

Posted by Bloody Rain, 17.05.2006 - 10:22
Okay, well this is the same thread created on the old version of metalstorm. Please share with us how you feel about the metal scene in your city/town/village/hamlet. Some ideas are say... how often you get concerts in your town, or if there are a lot of people or not into the metal scene, etc. etc.

Well here in Regina Saskatchewan I find that it's pretty bad, but it has gotten a lot better over the past few months. We don't get very many bigger name bands anymore, but the local scene is quite alive. Those shows get a lot of people (the last one even sold out), but I find that a lot of bands don't come by here much anymore. I would like to see more bigger name metal bands play some shows here, but it just doesn't happen anymore. Before when they were supposed to play, they were often cancelled and that really irritated me.

As far as metal people are concerned, well I've been noticing a little more now than I did before as well. So to sum it up, I'd say that the scene was dying here, but it's being revived so to speak.
29.10.2011 - 00:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 29.10.2011 at 00:01
How about emos, whimps, posers, or butt-burglers? Is that better?

Maybe not butt-burglars but any of those are more suitable than what you were using before. Carry on.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.10.2011 - 13:20
vezzy
Stallmanite

Call death/metalcore listeners emos, posers and whimps.

Have Job for a Cowboy in your favorite bands list.

lolwut
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
29.10.2011 - 13:50
Slayer666

Written by vezzy on 29.10.2011 at 13:20

lolwut

I'm sure he only listens to their death metal stuff. That's how these "old-school metalheads" (as he dubbed himself) roll, dawg.
29.10.2011 - 15:43
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Slayer666 on 29.10.2011 at 13:50
I'm sure he only listens to their death metal stuff. That's how these "old-school metalheads" (as he dubbed himself) roll, dawg.

Their death metal stuff isn't exactly preferable either if you're gonna hold the Metal-Archives spirit in you.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
29.10.2011 - 16:26
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Slayer666 on 29.10.2011 at 13:50

Written by vezzy on 29.10.2011 at 13:20

lolwut

that still dont make the new-school metal better....nor worst...but i prefer old stuff too
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
29.10.2011 - 17:50
Bulletdodger

2 places that had gigs in Nis are closed now >< there are a few left, but the place where Ajvar Mleven and other ( mostly heavy metal) bands played is closed.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
29.10.2011 - 21:22
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.10.2011 at 00:04

Maybe not butt-burglars but any of those are more suitable than what you were using before. Carry on.

Thank you kind sir, i most definatly will carry on.
30.10.2011 - 20:22
JBeast666

The metal scene in my Area (Orlando, Fl) isn't that bad, we get pretty decent shows here regularly, matter of fact I'm going to a Chimaira/Impending Doom Show on Halloween
----
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."
― Richard Dawkins
04.03.2012 - 15:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Immense psychedelic stoner band from my area. They have an album on Spotify, so you should check that out if you use it.

Oh, and also Dopefight, wickedly heavy and groovy stonery sludge (not a live video, just using live footage btw):

And very heavy and dirty sludge. Rough round the edges on record but great live:

I posted this on the last page but I thought I might as well paste it again to make up a good idea of the doom scene in Brighton. Great band all of these.

04.03.2012 - 15:59
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Certainly not Metal post but the horrible scene I've seen so far yet(while in India). (/offtopic)

04.03.2012 - 16:04
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 04.03.2012 at 15:39

Immense psychedelic stoner band from my area. They have an album on Spotify, so you should check that out if you use it.
(Enos)

Downloaded some tracks from their Last.FM page and they sound great
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
04.03.2012 - 16:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 04.03.2012 at 16:04

Downloaded some tracks from their Last.FM page and they sound great

Glad you like I've yet to see them live but I think they're playing soon so hopefully their sound should translate well.

They also do a comic which goes hand in hand with the music, which is a pretty awesome way to complement what you do on record I think: http://www.theebigblack.com/enos-the-comic/
04.03.2012 - 16:12
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Actually the band Norris is from Thunder Bay.

we have a few BM bands too, mine included.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.03.2012 - 18:46
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

Great stuff. Need to check out more.
04.03.2012 - 22:09
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 04.03.2012 at 16:07

Glad you like I've yet to see them live but I think they're playing soon so hopefully their sound should translate well.

They also do a comic which goes hand in hand with the music, which is a pretty awesome way to complement what you do on record I think: http://www.theebigblack.com/enos-the-comic/

I think this kind of sound would work great live.
as for the comics I read about them in Last.fm and liked the concept of the last album, it's funny and creative
----
is not bold enough
05.03.2012 - 01:41
Necrox

Written by king_matt on 03.09.2011 at 18:46

>Metal scene
>My area

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This.
05.03.2012 - 03:05
Sentinel65

Well as you could probably assume Cape Cod has no metal scene....I am one of three metalheads in my school. One of which loves hair metal the most , but not to worry, I could also go up to Boston to see the metalcore scene there
12.03.2012 - 02:48
m.Kekchoz

I live in Mâcon (France), the metal scene here is... small...

The most famous band here is The Seven Gates ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TEgUvK8CQY ) old school death metal band, but they move to another country since their bassist/singer leave the band.

But my own band Psygnosis seems to be gaining in popularity.
12.03.2012 - 17:56
Vikingr

The closest place near me is Woodstock, Ontario which really doesn't have a metal scene Honestly around here it's like me and one other guy
12.03.2012 - 19:37
Ikuinen

I'm from Copenhagen...the metal scene is not satisfactory ..the one heavy metal night club/concert venue we had, closed down because of the financial crisis ..there are some concerts at other venues, but it's not that many
12.03.2012 - 19:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ikuinen on 12.03.2012 at 19:37

I'm from Copenhagen...the metal scene is not satisfactory ..the one heavy metal night club/concert venue we had, closed down because of the financial crisis ..there are some concerts at other venues, but it's not that many

There are two great festivals in christiania this year. First one ii May a doom festival and then in September Killtwon Deathfest
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.03.2012 - 19:53
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule

Oh, and also Dopefight, wickedly heavy and groovy stonery sludge (not a live video, just using live footage btw):

Checked these guys out, some really cool stuff. I really like Enos. Awesome stuff. Seems like you have a really cool sludge/stoner doom scene.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.03.2012 at 19:39

There are two great festivals in christiania this year. First one ii May a doom festival and then in September Killtwon Deathfest

Metal gigs happen at Christiania?? Sweet! Man, I miss Copenhagen, I would love to go back for my birthday and celebrate 41 years of Christiania
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
12.03.2012 - 19:54
Ikuinen

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.03.2012 at 19:39

Written by Ikuinen on 12.03.2012 at 19:37

never heard of any of those bands...but it's great for people that like that type of Doom...we also have Copenhell music festival...with maybe one or two good bands...the rest are just not worth the ticket price

Taste in music is of course an individual thing ...so I'm sure a lot of people in Copenhagen would disagree with me
20.03.2012 - 23:44
Thrash83

There's me and my friend. The rest either listen to rap or other shit like that or deathcore/metalcore shit.
20.03.2012 - 23:56
Oaken
Hipster
Written by InnerSelf on 04.03.2012 at 22:09

Written by Guest on 04.03.2012 at 16:07

I think this kind of sound would work great live.
as for the comics I read about them in Last.fm and liked the concept of the last album, it's funny and creative

What about the more brutal than all Cannibal Corpse lyrics being applied to the same person scene in our area?
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
21.03.2012 - 10:37
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Oaken on 20.03.2012 at 23:56

What about the more brutal than all Cannibal Corpse lyrics being applied to the same person scene in our area?

Will it's growing really nice ! if it wasn't for the current situation we would have seen lots of shows here
----
is not bold enough
09.04.2012 - 19:23
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
The scene is my area is pretty incredible, I regularly see Shane Embury and Dave Hunt when I go to the pub...the town I live in has alot of death/black metal bands, most of which are more than worth a listen to.

Absinthropy and Towers Of Flesh
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
20.04.2012 - 07:12
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Written by Guest on 11.04.2012 at 17:27

The area where i live, Kisumu. There is No metal scene, sadly am yet to meet any other metalhead where i live.
In Kenya, we only have metal bands in the capital city-Nairobi, of which only about 5 are active.
Mmm, so far not a single metal band let alone rock from outside Kenya has played in Kenya. But the metalhead population is rapidly growing in Nairobi. I smell good days coming soon

I'm off-topic, but just under your post was an add for ''Call Kenya! Only 6.9 cents a minute!''

hahahaha!
15.05.2012 - 02:24
DeadHeadPunk
Account deleted
Written by Thrash83 on 20.03.2012 at 23:44

There's me and my friend. The rest either listen to rap or other shit like that or deathcore/metalcore shit.

Pretty much the same thing with me as well. There is a few people who enjoy pre 90s metal. But not much.
15.05.2012 - 03:52
Thrashette

Nowadays I actually have been finding more metalheads at school... The majority of them are into black metal or melodic death metal. It's a pleasant contrast to the last school I went to where the few metalheads I encountered were all into melodic stuff or metalcore. The scene in my hometown remains shitty as always though. I was actually surprised to see some metalheads get off the train at the same stop as me after the last show I went to...