Metal Storm logo
Metallica - Win Best Metal Performance Grammy

Metallica have won a Grammy Award in the Best Metal Performance category with the song "My Apocalypse" at the 51st annual Grammy Awards, held in Los Angeles last night. This is Metallica's eight Grammy thus far, including five for "Best Metal Performance."

All the nominees for Best Metal Performance (for solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only):

• DragonForce - Heroes Of Our Time (from the album "Ultra Beatdown")
  • Judas Priest - Nostradamus (from the album "Nostradamus")
  • Metallica - My Apocalypse (from the album "Death Magnetic")
  • Ministry - Under My Thumb [Rolling Stones cover] (from the album "Cover Up")
  • Slipknot - Psychosocial (from the album "All Hope Is Gone")

"Death Magnetic" won also a Grammy for Best Recording Package, while Rick Rubin went home with a Grammy for Producer Of The Year.

Metallica were also nominated with the track "Suicide & Redemption" for Best Rock Instrumental Performance, but lost that one to "Peaches En Regalia" from Zappa Plays Zappa Featuring Steve Vai & Napoleon Murphy Brock. "Death Magnetic" was also nominated for Best Rock Album but lost to Coldplay's "Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends".

The Mars Volta won in the Hard Rock Performance category, leaving behind Disturbed, Judas Priest, Mötley Crüe and Rob Zombie.
Robert Plant (ex-Led Zeppelin) and Alison Krauss won all five of the categories they were nominated in with the album "Raising Sand".

A list of all nominees and winners can be found here.

Source: grammy.com
Band profile: Metallica
Posted: 09.02.2009 by Thryce

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 58   Visited by: 466 users
09.02.2009 - 22:45
Jack the Riffer

How can anyone get nominated for a cover? they didnt even write it
09.02.2009 - 23:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Jack the Riffer on 09.02.2009 at 22:45

It's called "Best Metal Performance" that means it doesn't have to be originally written by the band performing it
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.02.2009 - 00:35
Gigginova
Account deleted
Those really are some SHITT results
10.02.2009 - 01:20
Symmachus

I can't emphasize enough how sucky grammy awardings are. I don't really care how much emphasis is put on metal during those awards shows, because no matter how much it does, the grammies will always suck. Italics said that Metallica's new album could've been 60 minutes of crying babies and they still would've won the award. He's right. Grammies are just a popularity contest that only pleases a portion of the people present at the ceremony, along with a few others. The grammies basically forcefeed everyone about what a limited amount of people (in this case, several million people) enjoy/obsess over/prefer musically, and it's usually the same old crap as it was last time, or if not last time, then the crap that has been super popular since then. I'm sick of this lame excuse of musical respect called the grammy awards.
10.02.2009 - 01:47
Jack the Riffer

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.02.2009 at 23:39

Written by Jack the Riffer on 09.02.2009 at 22:45

It's called "Best Metal Performance" that means it doesn't have to be originally written by the band performing it

scandalous
10.02.2009 - 02:18
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Symmachus on 10.02.2009 at 01:20

Grammies are just a popularity contest that only pleases a portion of the people present at the ceremony, along with a few others. The grammies basically forcefeed everyone about what a limited amount of people (in this case, several million people) enjoy/obsess over/prefer musically, and it's usually the same old crap as it was last time, or if not last time, then the crap that has been super popular since then.

Please come back and revisit this quote after March 1st, when the MS Awards are announced. Or just sift through the vote totals the past couple years... http://metalstorm.ee/awards/archive.php?year=2007
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.02.2009 - 02:23
Urizen367

I declare shenanigans.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
10.02.2009 - 02:27
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by BitterCOld on 09.02.2009 at 21:07

i guess these knob-molesting morons fail to understand that we, the consumer, also have access to one fairly important knob... the volume knob. we can simply turn the music up or down - so perhaps it's better if the music sounded "good" rather than "loud" as we can make it as loud as we want.

Yeah, but you can't win an award for doing that.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.02.2009 - 03:13
Dio Is God
Account deleted
Damn, I hate to complain, being I love all the bands nominated, but honestly, I think Ministry should've one. A: That was a badass cover. and B: They're retiring, why not just give 'em the last one they'll ever work for?
10.02.2009 - 03:57
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
The Grammies are just a front for the big music industry, so why should we even care about who wins or not?
10.02.2009 - 04:40
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Guest on 10.02.2009 at 03:57

The Grammies are just a front for the big music industry, so why should we even care about who wins or not?

Yeah, They are just like a VH1/MTV Top 20 of Rock. We just need to ignore them, listen to your music, and don't care if they put Slipknot and the Metal Gods in the same category for an award that is just crap.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
10.02.2009 - 05:31
Murder

Fuck this! Why the fuck this is a new?????

Fuck grammy´s, fuck metallica... I don't give a shit about this fucking "awards"... and I'm sure about nobody in MS are interested...
10.02.2009 - 05:53
Italics

Written by Murder on 10.02.2009 at 05:31

Fuck this! Why the fuck this is a new?????

Fuck grammy´s, fuck metallica... I don't give a shit about this fucking "awards"... and I'm sure about nobody in MS are interested...

You fell 3 "fuck's" short of being cool :
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
10.02.2009 - 06:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 10.02.2009 at 03:57

Well put, as Lemmy says "the grammies are just a time for all the music industry execs to pat themselves on the back and say "didn't we do a good job?""

More about stroking egos than actual music appreciation, if it were i think they'd put a little more work into the nominations.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.02.2009 - 10:42
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Grammy awards suck!
10.02.2009 - 11:15
Valentin B
Iconoclast
OMG NOEZ Priest lost to Metallica... oh shit i actually cared about these awards for a second
10.02.2009 - 14:38
Talvi

Lol I wasn't expecting this... at all...
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
10.02.2009 - 21:53
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Rick Rubin for best production?! That is the worst modern production I have EVER heard!
----
THRASH!!!
10.02.2009 - 22:13
Memory King

Coldplay? WTF?

And I second Mulldarran's post above. I've heard better fan remixes of the album.
11.02.2009 - 07:13
!Mac!

Written by Italics on 09.02.2009 at 17:58

The only good thing Rick Rubin ever accomplished was producing a Cure album.

Metallica = Most overrated metal band of all time

Their new album could have featured 60 minutes of crying babies, and they would have won the Grammy just because they are "Metallica"

Listen to Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, and just for grins, Metallica. Then clean up the mess after you sh*t a brick.
11.02.2009 - 12:04
Opethian

Written by !Mac! on 11.02.2009 at 07:13

Written by Italics on 09.02.2009 at 17:58

The only good thing Rick Rubin ever accomplished was producing a Cure album.

Metallica = Most overrated metal band of all time

Their new album could have featured 60 minutes of crying babies, and they would have won the Grammy just because they are "Metallica"

Listen to Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, and just for grins, Metallica. Then clean up the mess after you sh*t a brick.

call it quits you guys! plzzz
11.02.2009 - 13:53
YoreLore

Wow the grammy awards know less about metal than Kerrang
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
11.02.2009 - 16:41
Italics

I have. Mediocre music.
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
11.02.2009 - 19:51
Luciferion

ALL HAIL TEH METAL LORD ... [Thats Lars Fyi]...
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
12.02.2009 - 02:21
Uller

1.- Grammy doesn't know anything about metal, and the only metal for them are the bands from the united states.
2.- Metallica were good, yes, but nothing is forever and they sold their music, this is a clear example

We cant deny that they were good, but we mus accept that nothing is forever
----
12.02.2009 - 07:30
Plaguebearer

Fuck this shit
12.02.2009 - 14:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Uller on 12.02.2009 at 02:21

1.- Grammy doesn't know anything about metal, and the only metal for them are the bands from the united states.

Since when are Judas Priest and DragonForce from the US?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.03.2009 - 12:08
Raven Of Death

Metallica is the mother of Metal

and Iron Maiden and Slayer Is the Father of Metal Also

Hits total: 6083 | This month: 5