11. What's Love Without You
12. Our Voice Will Be Heard
13. You've Got To Fight
14. The Price [early demo]
15. Stay Hungry [early demo]
16. Kmet Radio Spot
17. 30 [new song]
18. Untitled [hidden track]

Twisted Sister had been touring and playing for years and years prior to the mainstream success of "Stay Hungry". "We're Not Gonna Take It" and "I Wanna Rock" received massive airplay on MTV. The videos became so popular that they became synonymous with the band and their core fan base jumped ship as the masses came on board.

Anyone that can edit out the thoughts of those music videos when they listen to "Stay Hungry" will find one of the most earnest hard rock / heavy metal albums of the early 1980's. The album takes off with the title track, which serves as a great introduction for an album centered on themes of determination and self acceptance.

"We're Not Gonna Take It" comes next and reminds me Dee Snider's testimony in front of the United States Senate in a hearing on "offensive music". Dee's honest and intelligent testimony would probably have been a better video to accompany the song. Dee definitely was "not gonna take it". It was the Reagan era in the United States and he put himself on the front lines on the worlds biggest stage for his fans and artistic freedom. The fact that "We're Not Gonna Take It" and "I Wanna Rock" were recorded about a year prior to the testimony makes their sincerity that much more evident. Twisted Sister truly wrote what they felt.

There is not a weak moment on the entire album. Along with the cathartic anthems are darker themed songs that add a lot of texture ("Burn in Hell" and "Horror-Teria: Captain Howdy/Street Justice"). The guitar solos are succinct and well executed on all the tracks and Dee's raspy voice is a perfect fit with the music and lyrics.

The inspiring "The Price" is a slower track that could be considered a power ballad, but its sincerity should spare it that label.

The album starts revving up again with the mid-paced "Don't Let Me Down" before the plodding and heavy "The Beast". "S.M.F." closes the album and is the perfect call to arms that it inspires to be.

Twisted Sister played and wrote for their fans. Dee Snider was asked by a Congressman what the name of his fan club (S.M.F.) was during his testimony before the United States Senate. Dee will go down in history as being the only human being to ever utter the words the "Sick Motherf***ing Friends of Twisted Sister" in that hallowed room.

The album was re-recorded and released recently as "Still Hungry". When the band looked back they decided they didn't like the production and added a few bonus tracks. As usual, the bonus tracks were unnecessary and re-recordings offered nothing. This album is best heard in its original form.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by amerislave | 05.11.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
N/A
Hard rock
USA
Length: CD1 36:59 / CD2 39:17

25th Anniversary Edition

Back in 1984, history was created for a certain cross-dressing, makeup-clad hard rock band. The album was Stay Hungry, and this year marks its 25th anniversary along with a re-mastered version of the album complete with a second disc of previously unreleased tracks written at the time. This anniversary edition also includes a booklet with the history of this monumental album describing the troubles the band had at the time, and also the successes gained off its back.

Read more ››
published 28.08.2009 | Comments (3)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
It is a big shame that Twisted Sister are oft regarded as being merely a two-hit wonder with a front man who looks like he just walked off the set of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Listen to this album and you will discover a band who have been unfairly labelled and deserve to be viewed with greater respect. From the out and out classic barnstormer of an opener in "Stay Hungry", Twisted Sister run through nine tracks of hard-hitting anthems that will convert you from one of those people who think this album is just "We're Not Gonna Take it" and "I Wanna Rock" plus seven other tracks, into someone who wants to seek the rest of their catalogue out.

Read more ››
published 08.04.2020 | Comments (1)

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 82 users
12.02.2009 - 03:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Great album indeed. Especially for songs such as the great single We're Not Gonna Take It. Believe it or not, I loved that video back in the day and I still do.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.03.2009 - 20:20
DayFly

Timeless album by a band that, despite their legendary status, seems to be underappreciated. In my opinion it's heavier than anything Judas Priest have released up to that point and that saying something for an alleged hair band.
20.03.2009 - 21:55
Baz Anderson

No, there is definitely pre-1984 Judas Priest material that is heavier than this - but still.. as has been said, Twisted Sister are just one of the greatest bands of the scene they were in, and I suppose helped form.
Probably their best album, this one. "We're Not Gonna Take It" and "The Price" are just magnificent.
21.03.2009 - 14:55
DayFly

You think so? I am quite familiar with 70s Judas Priest and none of that strikes me heavier than Twisted Sister. And during the 80s Judas Priest never were about being heavy anyway.
23.03.2009 - 01:00
Baz Anderson

Well I am thinking of songs like "Sinner" and "Dissident Aggressor"..
It depends what you call "heavy" though really.
23.03.2009 - 15:42
DayFly

Written by Baz Anderson on 23.03.2009 at 01:00

Well I am thinking of songs like "Sinner" and "Dissident Aggressor"..
It depends what you call "heavy" though really.

Guess you got a point there.

Hits total: 5095 | This month: 8