08. Gehenna
09. This Cold Black
10. Wherein Lies Continue
11. Snuff
12. All Hope Is Gone
13. Child Of Burning Time [bonus]
14. Vermillion Pt. 2 [Bloodstone Mix] [bonus]
15. 'Til We Die [bonus]

After Slipknot's first two albums blew us away with their high level of sheer violence, their third album "The Subliminal Verses" had evolved to a much more melodic and mature sound, but still keeping much of that brutality that Slipknot is (was) praised for. It's safe to say that their fourth release "All Hope Is Gone" continues that path. It's still Slipknot, yet it's very,very different to the work that first made them famous.

Indeed, many elements stay the same: guitars still sound blunt and strange, just like Slipknot we all know and love. Drumming is still the one of the best I've ever heard, thanks to mister Joey that is maybe the best drummer that I know off. Corey is back too, with his usual mixture of brutal shouting vocals and an amazing singing voice that is something simply brilliant. Everyone else is here as well, all nine of them. The DJ Sid who spins his disks to make the needed special effects, Chris and Shawn for an extra drumming edge, the good old crew.

It's hard to conclude what is so different about this album from the text so far. While many things stay the same, Slipknot's music is no longer something that makes you want to go out and beat someone senseless (with the exception of a couple tracks). Indeed, now it's much more mature and somewhat more mainstream.

There are a few tracks I really have to mention separately, like "Psychosocial" that has an incredible mix of brutal riffs and Corey's beautiful singing. "Dead Memories" is the slowest non-ballad song on the album, it's pretty catchy, Corey's singing is simply great and it even has power chords (???). And, lastly, who can forget "Germantia (The Killing Name)" and "All Hope Is Gone" that sound just like that Slipknot's early works?

I know that this description was somewhat vague, but believe me that it's really not easy to explain what kind of music this is. "All Hope Is Gone" is a strange mixture of a little bit of everything that someone will love completely, yet others will hate with the same intensity. If you never liked Slipknot, there is a good chance that this one will make you like them, and if you are a fan of their early work, well, you have as much chance liking it as hating it.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Slayer666 | 06.02.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 74   Visited by: 310 users
13.02.2009 - 21:33
Rating: 8
In Bone Factory

I see.
but I like The Song: "Snuff" as well.Dead Memories is great.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
14.02.2009 - 00:51
tulkas
el parcero
Written by In Bone Factory on 13.02.2009 at 21:33

I see.
but I like The Song: "Snuff" as well

same here. i was going to point out that same song since it's my fav (and, dare i say, the best) from this album. like the reviewer said, it follows the line of maturity they strted with the album vol. 3, but still keeping the sound that differenciates them from other bands. people may hate and love slipknot, just as they state on the slipknot thread here on MS, but they're still there and will still be there for some time.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
14.02.2009 - 02:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Quote:

After Slipknot's first two albums blew us away with their high level of sheer violence

----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.02.2009 - 06:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.02.2009 at 02:40

Quote:

After Slipknot's first two albums blew us away with their high level of sheer violence

Its a typo, boredom isn't supposed to be spelt with a "v".
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.02.2009 - 09:15
JESTER576
Account deleted
Sheer violence? I have found the funniest joke in all the land!
14.02.2009 - 15:13
Rating: 7
Slayer666

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.02.2009 at 02:40

Quote:

BTW, what you did was spamming!
20.02.2009 - 22:54
metal.smash
Account deleted
Psychosocial and Gematria are best on the album!
20.02.2009 - 23:45
brapp32

It's a good cd. But it's not one of my favorites. Germertia,butchers hook and sulfur are pretty good songs.
04.03.2009 - 02:43
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
This is the weakest Slipknot album in my opinion. The aggression is gone (has been gone since the first album) and the lyrics are very weak (i.e. "Sulfur", I mean the chorus is cute but all I can envision is some emo looking kid sliding his hands across his wrist whining "like breathing in suuullllfffuuurrrr"). The song writing has also taken a dive, as there are some very bad songs on this one. "Snuff" is a pretty weak little ballad and is extremely corny, and the chorus of "Dead Memories" that is constantly being played on the radio is one of the more annoying choruses of recent memory.

"Gematria" is easily the best on the album, and "Psychosocial" is pretty good but I would definetly say that this is Slipknot's weakest effort.
----
27.03.2009 - 16:56
Jack21

Sulfur is a decent song and butcher's hook is garbage! it's the most annoying track on the disc. snuff is depressing but good but i like all hope is gone over all.
15.06.2009 - 09:46
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Slipknot is just not fun anymore. I liked the fun amateurism of the two first works, the crazy pseudo-heaviness with occasional melodies, full of rap shit, DJ effects, samples and percussions.. now it's just a heavier Stone Sour.

Average at best.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
11.07.2009 - 16:52
Prisoner
Account deleted
I Like Gematria, Sulfur, All Hope Is Gone. Snuff Is So Catchy. But I Don't Get The Whole Story Of Psychosocial. I Mean It's A Great Song But WTF does it suppose to mean?

This Album Is OK w/ me but I'd Prefer Self-Titled Or Iowa Best.:banger:
22.09.2009 - 20:54
Slayer666

Written by Guest on 11.07.2009 at 16:52

I Like Gematria, Sulfur, All Hope Is Gone. Snuff Is So Catchy. But I Don't Get The Whole Story Of Psychosocial. I Mean It's A Great Song But WTF does it suppose to mean?

It's Slipknot. What did you expect? Their lyrcis have always been crap in my opinion. But the music is
01.12.2009 - 23:09
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I like pshycosocial the best all though I havent heard any thing else
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.12.2009 - 17:44
Big-Al

I found this album rather boring, especially compared to their previous albums. They sound less angry, less powerful (maybe even weak), no longer out of control and no longer do they seem to pull off their usual overwhelming onslaught of insane psychotic clowns.

Actually the album sounds a bit emo at times. Maybe their next effort'll put them back on track where they were 10 years ago? or maybe all hope is gone?
----

I drink moosepiss
11.04.2010 - 07:59
JohnWayneGacy666

YOU ARE JOKING THIS BAND IS RAP THEY SHOULD NOT BE ON METAL STORM because they are NOT METAL simple as that 0 out of 10 for being a bunch of disgusting clowns
11.04.2010 - 16:20
Slayer666

Written by JohnWayneGacy666 on 11.04.2010 at 07:59

YOU ARE JOKING THIS BAND IS RAP THEY SHOULD NOT BE ON METAL STORM because they are NOT METAL simple as that 0 out of 10 for being a bunch of disgusting clowns

Heh, good one dude. You almost had me fooled, trollin' and all.
Wait, were you trolling? That's the only excuse I could think for this utterly brainless comment.
Come to think of it, most of your posts look like you copy/pasted comments from random kvlt-as-fuck retarded "keyboard warriors" on YouTube.
I mean really, a guy who has Manowar in his favorite bands list says this is not metal? Jesus effin' Christ.
11.04.2010 - 17:52
soadbyob
Account deleted
Honestly, this album sucked. Where has good SLipknot gone? MFKR anyone??
11.03.2011 - 13:41
_Andy_

Written by JohnWayneGacy666 on 11.04.2010 at 07:59

I blame MS for not letting me to use "offensive language". I really do.Slipknot has always been nu-metal. Ever heard about Linkin Park or Rage Against The Machine? They're rap, so after you compare these two, perhaps you'll realise that there is an enourmous difference between these two genres. And I've also heard people saying that Slipknot's new stuff is light or something. Well, it might be not as good as the other albums, but given the conditions (Paul's heart disease) and the fact that he was one of the lyricists and I think, of the songwriters, All Hope Is Gone is really good.:banger:
----
Strike from behind and knock me to the ground
Kick me while I'm down!
Stab me in the back, you bastards
Tear my heart out of my chest!
I'll rise from the ashes, from these ruins of mine
A dozen of eyes for an eye - vengeance is mine!
24.04.2011 - 01:10
Void_Eater
Account deleted
A bit late... But gotta say-Sheer Violence? Best drumming ever?

19.10.2011 - 21:12
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Poser metal.
19.10.2011 - 21:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 19.10.2011 at 21:12

Poser metal.

And that from someone wh has Sabaton and Lordi amongst his favourites
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.10.2011 - 22:12
brapp32

Yeah fuck Slipknot they're poser metal. Listen to some true metal like Disturbed.
19.10.2011 - 22:48
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by brapp32 on 19.10.2011 at 22:12

Yeah fuck Slipknot they're poser metal. Listen to some true metal like Disturbed.

Disturbed is for posers. I only listen to true death metal like Bring Me The Horizon and The Devil Wears Prada.
19.10.2011 - 22:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 19.10.2011 at 22:48

Written by brapp32 on 19.10.2011 at 22:12

Disturbed is for posers. I only listen to true death metal like Bring Me The Horizon and The Devil Wears Prada.

also for posers at least I listen to true death such as Design The Skyline and The Browning.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.10.2011 - 22:54
brapp32

Now you're talking.
20.10.2011 - 21:38
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Oh well, lets go:

Here in my city everyone talks only about slipknot. everyone listens to Slipknot and think it's the best metal band in the world. This is annoying, this is like a big epidemic. And it's annoying! I hate those teenagers!
Disturbed isn't well-know here, neither Lordi or Sabaton (Oh, come on! Sabaton is poser??).
20.10.2011 - 22:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 20.10.2011 at 21:38
Here in my city everyone talks only about slipknot.

That's not something limited to your city alone, and a surprising amount of fans don't strictly belong to the teen demographic.

After all, it's "radio metal", "pop metal", if you will. Something heavy enough to rock out to but still simple and catchy enough for radio play. It's mainstream, and there's nothing wrong with that. Some people like that, they want to hear their Disturbed, their Godsmack, their Saliva, Seether, etc.

Not everyone can be a trve meathead metalhead.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.10.2011 - 22:28
brapp32

You don't have to like them. Just try to find a better term then poser to express your hatred for them.
20.10.2011 - 23:03
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by brapp32 on 20.10.2011 at 22:28

You don't have to like them. Just try to find a better term then poser to express your hatred for them.

I don't hate then. I never said it.

Hits total: 11317 | This month: 9