01. Struggle
02. Sarcophage
03. Breathe
04. Like This

Disc II [DVD]
01. Asylum (Original Version)
02. We're Freaks
03. Asylum (Studio Version)

Ashka is a new young little band from France. Even if the combo was only created in 2007 they have already two demos in their discography but as you can guess, today we will talk about their new one (the third then) "Breathe". We have good things there so after all why couldn't you have a look at it?

The first thing that I have to say is that this demo really looks professional. The sound is good and we even have a DVD bonus with video clips and galleries. This is really cool and gives me the feeling that the band wanted to do big stuff which is always promising; ambition being a good thing in the naughty Metal world. Also, the performances of the musicians are more than correct and the voice of Amélie (now replaced by Syhem), clean or in Death mode is good. Not revolutionary maybe but still, the girl was convincing... I don't know why she had to leave the band but she was ok and I hope that the new singer will be able to replace her without any big problems.

When it comes to the music, Ashka plays some kind of Nu Metal with Death and Gothic influences. On a side, it's a bit similar to ETHS but some riffs and rhythms can sound like the last Moonspell too (I'm just saying that it can sound like it, just keep in mind that this is not the same music or genre anyway). This is not perfect and that the four songs can be a bit boring with time because they're maybe a bit monotonous but all in all this is promising and I'm already sure that the band, with time and more experience, will be able to do good things. "Breathe" is not perfect but it's a good start and if they follow this road and find the way to write the "hit" which will launch their career, they will become famous in the French Metal scene. Now it's not done yet but I have good hopes.

We're in front of a good demo. The four songs are not exceptional as you know but they're good and give me good hopes for the future of the band. Let's keep an eye on them but if you like ETHS and all the new wave of female fronted band that use to have Death Metal voices you'll like this release. Yes Ashka will maybe do good things in my opinion.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 14.02.2009

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 58 users
15.02.2009 - 01:42
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Hey, just checked out their myspace and I see what you mean about the Moonspell influence a bit on "Struggle." Ashka have a decent sound to them, and it's quite accessible, which could mean a great future for them. I think a band like ETHS is much more interesting, but, they are harder to digest, and particularly for the non-French speaking listener. Bands like Ashka, though, could find an audience, and this type of music isn't a hard sell in the US I don't think. We'll see when a full-length comes with the new singer, but, a good band to watch
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
15.02.2009 - 16:15
iaberis
Advice Troll
Interesting... nice music on their myspace
----
Bitch! Please

Hits total: 3417 | This month: 14