Metal Storm logo
Finnish Metal Awards - And The Winners Are...

After the Danes and the Swedes, also the Finns were handing out their Metal Awards this weekend. Heavy metal quartet Stam1na was the big winner at this year's Finnish Metal Awards, which was held Friday night (February 13) during the Finnish Metal Expo at Kaapelitehdas in Helsinki, Finland. Members of the general public were invited to cast their votes to select the winners, which were as follows (final percentage of votes is listed next to each nominee):

Album:

01. Stam1na: "Raja" - 16.28%
---
02. Diablo: "Icaros"- 5.85%
03. Norther: "N" - 4.12%
04. Children Of Bodom: "Blooddrunk" - 3.87%
05. Omnium Gatherum: "The Redshift" - 3.81%

Band:

01. Stam1na - 13.11%
---
02. Diablo - 4.52%
03. Norther - 3.99%
04. Children Of Bodom - 3.96%
05. Hateform - 3.80%

Newcomer:

01. Hateform - 10.86%
---
02. Dead Shape Figure - 9.78%
03. Medeia - 8.22%
04. Tracedawn - 7.38%
05. Heavy Metal Perse - 5.88%

Album art:

01. Stam1na: "Raja" - 9.64%
---
02. Diablo: "Icaros" - 6.10%
03. Children Of Bodom: "Blooddrunk" - 4.61%
04. Hateform: "Dominance" - 3.26%
05. Kiuas: "The New Dark Age" - 3.13%

Player:

01. Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom)- 10.04%
---
02. Pekka Olkkonen (Stam1na) - 5.48%
03. Mikko Salovaara (Kiuas) - 4.18%
04. Tuomas Saukkonen (Before The Dawn, Dawn Of Solace, The Final Harvest) - 3.2%
05. Markus Vanhala (Omnium Gatherum) - 2.74%

Vocalist:

01. Antti Hyyrynen (Stam1na) - 12.13%
---
02. Marco Hietala (Nightwish, Tarot) - 4.43%
03. Rainer Nygård (Diablo) - 4.32%
04. Petri Lindroos (Ensiferum, Norther) - 4.22%
05. Ari Koivunen (Amoral) - 3.87%

Demo Band:

01. Fm2000 - 9.57%
---
02. Decended - 5.89%
03. Pressure Points - 4.74%
04. Kilt. - 4.16%
05. Medicated - 3.11%

Source: metalrage.com
Posted: 15.02.2009 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 62   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 506 users
15.02.2009 - 18:49
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Why do i have such a strong feeling Stam1na sounds like Him breeded with Greenday?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

15.02.2009 - 19:00
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Stam1na, best album art? http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/album.php?album_id=25942&band_id=3235&bandname=Stam1na
was blooddrunk that bad that it actually affected the album art as well?
15.02.2009 - 19:01
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Paradox0 on 15.02.2009 at 19:00

Stam1na, best album art? http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/album.php?album_id=25942&band_id=3235&bandname=Stam1na
was blooddrunk that bad that it actually affected the album art as well?

That's insanely ugly, and I have a feeling that the music is very bad as well...
15.02.2009 - 19:02
destroyah
supercharger
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 15.02.2009 at 18:49

Why do i have such a strong feeling Stam1na sounds like Him breeded with Greenday?

I've only heard them once, a few years ago and live, but I don't recall having heard anything similar to neither of those bands.
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
15.02.2009 - 19:05
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by Ellrohir on 15.02.2009 at 18:49

Actually they sound like slightly above mediocre nu-metal. Nothing all that special I suppose..
15.02.2009 - 19:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Wow, this makes the Grammy's look even great as if the grammy's know what they're talking about.

Well, this certainly disspells the myth that Finns knwo their metal
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.02.2009 - 20:00
routa
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.02.2009 at 19:47

Wow, this makes the Grammy's look even great as if the grammy's know what they're talking about.

Well, this certainly disspells the myth that Finns knwo their metal

Sorry, Metallica isn't Finnish so we couldn't vote for them
15.02.2009 - 20:07
Der Meister
Account deleted
Umm, hey idiots. You'd have to be high on pretty much all existing illegal substances to actually think that Stam1na resembles HIM. Ignorant cunts, they play progressive metal, mix various styles like heavy, thrash and prog rock and are clearly inspired by the works of Devin Townsend and SYL. Don't be prejudiced assholes, please. Instead, take a listen, give them an unbiased chance, and maybe they'll finally start covering some ground outside Finland.
15.02.2009 - 20:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 15.02.2009 at 20:07

Umm, hey idiots. You'd have to be high on pretty much all existing illegal substances to actually think that Stam1na resembles HIM. Ignorant cunts, they play progressive metal, mix various styles like heavy, thrash and prog rock and are clearly inspired by the works of Devin Townsend and SYL. Don't be prejudiced assholes, please. Instead, take a listen, give them an unbiased chance, and maybe they'll finally start covering some ground outside Finland.

Lemme guess, you're a Stamina, fan?

Btw, never heard the band, so I can't judge if they sound like HIM or nor.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.02.2009 - 20:55
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Comparing Stam1na to HIM and Green Day must mean that someone hasn't even bothered to listen to Stam1na. I guess one has to be a Finn to really understand the greatness of this band. In my opinion Stam1na's music is awesome and it has such energy and attitude that many bands will never have. They damn sure deserve all the awards they got and they are one of the few bands that even care about their fans these days. So, please stop whining and settle for the results.
----
You'll never walk alone.
15.02.2009 - 21:01
Der Meister
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.02.2009 at 20:37

Written by Guest on 15.02.2009 at 20:07

Lemme guess, you're a Stamina, fan?

Btw, never heard the band, so I can't judge if they sound like HIM or nor.

Does it really matter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82IQAn1lznk

Take a listen, and tell me it sounds like HIM. A fan or not, there really can't be any doubt.
I'm getting unnecessarily bumped up here, but this kind of prejudice really gets on my delicate nerves + that I'd really like to see them going abroad, seeing as I myself in fact do not live in Finland.
15.02.2009 - 21:09
Thought.
A Dying God
Hmm, gave them a listen cuz i was interested in the hype, but... Stam1na sounds like nothing more than a Finnish version of Static-X. Not to say that's shitty, don't want anyone to feel like their life is over, but definitely not my thing. And the album art really, really is awful. Nothing unique, interesting, or eye-catching at all.

I'm surprised Norther wasn't more noticed... What do people here think of them? (or is talent put aside for whatever sounds catchy?)
----
There is no God but the one that dies with me. I have no life but the one I take with me to the grave. We come into this world alone. And we will die on our own. I live. I die. Ain Elohim.
15.02.2009 - 21:10
tulkas
el parcero
Well, if stam1ma wn almost everything, i think that they're at least worth a listen. i haven't heard them so i can't really post any thoughts on them, but i'll sure give 'em a listen.
too bad norther was near the top several times, but never there
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
15.02.2009 - 21:16
enumaelis
Indeed the album art of Stam1na is pretty boring:sleep:
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
15.02.2009 - 21:18
Thought.
A Dying God
Written by Guest on 15.02.2009 at 21:01

Does it really matter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82IQAn1lznk

Take a listen, and tell me it sounds like HIM. A fan or not, there really can't be any doubt.
I'm getting unnecessarily bumped up here, but this kind of prejudice really gets on my delicate nerves + that I'd really like to see them going abroad, seeing as I myself in fact do not live in Finland.

Calm your "delicate nerves" then, little flower. I'm sure the man just thought they sound the way they sound to him. he may think it sounds like HIM, I may think Static-X, and you may think Best Band Everrr, but its no use fighting over the web, unless you like this "prejudice".
----
There is no God but the one that dies with me. I have no life but the one I take with me to the grave. We come into this world alone. And we will die on our own. I live. I die. Ain Elohim.
15.02.2009 - 21:31
Thought.
A Dying God
Written by Ernotar on 15.02.2009 at 20:55

Comparing Stam1na to HIM and Green Day must mean that someone hasn't even bothered to listen to Stam1na. I guess one has to be a Finn to really understand the greatness of this band. In my opinion Stam1na's music is awesome and it has such energy and attitude that many bands will never have. They damn sure deserve all the awards they got and they are one of the few bands that even care about their fans these days. So, please stop whining and settle for the results.

not true. (Man! it seems Stam1na fans are like Opeth or Tool fans, SO touchy when people don't like their band!) They may or may not have deserved all their medals (definitely not best album art... ), but what do you mean a band that really cares about their fans? do you know them? i really don't think that Stam1na are in an elite few that "really cares" about their fans, i'd say they're somewhere.... oh, i dunno, same place as every other band on this earth that loves to make music and loves even more to play it to their fans. So, i wouldn't use that as a plausible argumentative point.
----
15.02.2009 - 21:31
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
A big part of Stam1na's songs are also the lyrics and in case someone here doesn't understand Finnish, their music can sound like "nothing special". And of course people have different tastes in music, but I can't really understand this almost violent attitude towards Stam1na winning those awards. It's not like Finnish Metal Awards are even a big thing here...not our equivalent to Grammy-awards or anything... The main reason for Stam1na winning must be that they've probably asked their fans to vote for them on their own website. Big deal.
----
You'll never walk alone.
15.02.2009 - 21:37
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Written by Thought. on 15.02.2009 at 21:31

Written by Ernotar on 15.02.2009 at 20:55

not true. (Man! it seems Stam1na fans are like Opeth or Tool fans, SO touchy when people don't like their band!) They may or may not have deserved all their medals (definitely not best album art... ), but what do you mean a band that really cares about their fans? do you know them? i really don't think that Stam1na are in an elite few that "really cares" about their fans, i'd say they're somewhere.... oh, i dunno, same place as every other band on this earth that loves to make music and loves even more to play it to their fans. So, i wouldn't use that as a plausible argumentative point.

As a matter of fact I have met those guys and they're really sweet. They take things easy and don't make a big fuss of everything. They went to the stage, received the trophies and then posed to the cameras showing their asses instead of their faces. What I mean is that they're not one of those bands that make music just for money and make songs that everyone likes. Again, it's sort of a thing that only Finns can understand that people coming from Eastern Finland are more open minded and laid-back - just like Stam1na's guys.

Maybe the cover art wasn't the most outstanding in this world, but were there so many masterpieces to vote for?
----
You'll never walk alone.
15.02.2009 - 21:44
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I'm gonna make it a point to NEVER listen to Stam1na I really have no interest or care in my body to know anything about the band.
----
Coldgrits
15.02.2009 - 21:48
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
The think is that i HAVE listened to them on their MySpace...and AFTER that i claim what i claim...

sorry Stam1na lovers...but i am not
----

15.02.2009 - 21:50
routa
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 15.02.2009 at 21:48

The think is that i HAVE listened to them on their MySpace...and AFTER that i claim what i claim...

sorry Stam1na lovers...but i am not

Wrong myspace I guess. And no, I'm not a fan. Annoying stuff.
15.02.2009 - 21:55
routa
Account deleted
Written by Thought. on 15.02.2009 at 21:09

I'm surprised Norther wasn't more noticed... What do people here think of them? (or is talent put aside for whatever sounds catchy?)

Last time I checked: boring, just like most of the "melodeath" that followed when CoB paved the way. Catchy? Supposed to be I guess.

Written by Ernotar on 15.02.2009 at 21:31

--I can't really understand this almost violent attitude towards Stam1na winning those awards. It's not like Finnish Metal Awards are even a big thing here...not our equivalent to Grammy-awards or anything... The main reason for Stam1na winning must be that they've probably asked their fans to vote for them on their own website. Big deal.

I'm just waiting for more replies, these threads always prove to be pretty entertaining.
15.02.2009 - 22:34
4death4
Come on gays this band cant be better than COB.We all know that.Don't try to over rate them.!!!
15.02.2009 - 22:48
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Wow, I didn't know Finland had ONLY like 8 metal bands...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.02.2009 - 22:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by 4death4 on 15.02.2009 at 22:34

Come on gays this band cant be better than COB.We all know that.Don't try to over rate them.!!!

It is very easy to be better than CoB tbh. I listened to Stamina after I posted in this thread and to be 100% honest they are much better than CoB, Norther, Wintersun, Ensiferum to name but a few. Still not my sort of music though but a lot more original musicwise than the bands I just mentioned.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.02.2009 - 22:56
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
"original" maybe...but this isnt the other word for "good"
----

15.02.2009 - 22:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 15.02.2009 at 22:56

"original" maybe...but this isnt the other word for "good"

And also better than the bands I mentioned. SOrry, forgot to put that in.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.02.2009 - 23:17
4death4
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.02.2009 at 22:52

Written by 4death4 on 15.02.2009 at 22:34

It is very easy to be better than CoB tbh. I listened to Stamina after I posted in this thread and to be 100% honest they are much better than CoB, Norther, Wintersun, Ensiferum to name but a few. Still not my sort of music though but a lot more original musicwise than the bands I just mentioned.

good for u bro. but i dont think like that and i will never obey in it.bodoms r my favorite 2.
15.02.2009 - 23:18
routa
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 15.02.2009 at 22:48

It's called fanboyism. You vote your fave band in every category. How many top-selling bands should we have?
15.02.2009 - 23:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 15.02.2009 at 23:18

Written by Doc G. on 15.02.2009 at 22:48

It's called fanboyism. You vote your fave band in every category. How many top-selling bands should we have?

Yeah I suppose. Figured there'd be a little more variety put into it....
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin

Hits total: 7353 | This month: 15