Metal Storm logo
Finnish Metal Awards - And The Winners Are...

After the Danes and the Swedes, also the Finns were handing out their Metal Awards this weekend. Heavy metal quartet Stam1na was the big winner at this year's Finnish Metal Awards, which was held Friday night (February 13) during the Finnish Metal Expo at Kaapelitehdas in Helsinki, Finland. Members of the general public were invited to cast their votes to select the winners, which were as follows (final percentage of votes is listed next to each nominee):

Album:

01. Stam1na: "Raja" - 16.28%
---
02. Diablo: "Icaros"- 5.85%
03. Norther: "N" - 4.12%
04. Children Of Bodom: "Blooddrunk" - 3.87%
05. Omnium Gatherum: "The Redshift" - 3.81%

Band:

01. Stam1na - 13.11%
---
02. Diablo - 4.52%
03. Norther - 3.99%
04. Children Of Bodom - 3.96%
05. Hateform - 3.80%

Newcomer:

01. Hateform - 10.86%
---
02. Dead Shape Figure - 9.78%
03. Medeia - 8.22%
04. Tracedawn - 7.38%
05. Heavy Metal Perse - 5.88%

Album art:

01. Stam1na: "Raja" - 9.64%
---
02. Diablo: "Icaros" - 6.10%
03. Children Of Bodom: "Blooddrunk" - 4.61%
04. Hateform: "Dominance" - 3.26%
05. Kiuas: "The New Dark Age" - 3.13%

Player:

01. Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom)- 10.04%
---
02. Pekka Olkkonen (Stam1na) - 5.48%
03. Mikko Salovaara (Kiuas) - 4.18%
04. Tuomas Saukkonen (Before The Dawn, Dawn Of Solace, The Final Harvest) - 3.2%
05. Markus Vanhala (Omnium Gatherum) - 2.74%

Vocalist:

01. Antti Hyyrynen (Stam1na) - 12.13%
---
02. Marco Hietala (Nightwish, Tarot) - 4.43%
03. Rainer Nygård (Diablo) - 4.32%
04. Petri Lindroos (Ensiferum, Norther) - 4.22%
05. Ari Koivunen (Amoral) - 3.87%

Demo Band:

01. Fm2000 - 9.57%
---
02. Decended - 5.89%
03. Pressure Points - 4.74%
04. Kilt. - 4.16%
05. Medicated - 3.11%

Source: metalrage.com
Posted: 15.02.2009 by Thryce

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 62   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 506 users
15.02.2009 - 23:34
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.02.2009 at 22:59

Written by Ellrohir on 15.02.2009 at 22:56

"original" maybe...but this isnt the other word for "good"

And also better than the bands I mentioned. SOrry, forgot to put that in.

hm...even if i would admit Stam1na is "good" band, no way it is better than Wintersun or Ensiferum...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

15.02.2009 - 23:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 15.02.2009 at 23:34

hm...even if i would admit Stam1na is "good" band, no way it is better than Wintersun or Ensiferum...

Well, imo those two are THE two most overrated bands ever. Enjoyable, but that's all. Nothing special ro above average going on there at all.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.02.2009 - 00:15
Tarot is very underrated.
16.02.2009 - 00:24
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.02.2009 at 23:54

Written by Ellrohir on 15.02.2009 at 23:34

Well, imo those two are THE two most overrated bands ever. Enjoyable, but that's all. Nothing special ro above average going on there at all.

Maybe Wintersun is overrated (very, very, very overrated). Ensiferum is like... mmm an overrated band in a medium level (but they are very enjoyable).

The thing is that in there are better bands in Finland than the cliché melodic bands (COB, Norther, Wintersun and some other copies).

BTW... Turisas rules!!! jajaja
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
16.02.2009 - 00:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Daggon on 16.02.2009 at 00:24

Talk about a cliché band
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.02.2009 - 00:27
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.02.2009 at 00:25

Written by Daggon on 16.02.2009 at 00:24

Talk about a cliché band

Yup but I like them jejeje
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
16.02.2009 - 02:31
enumaelis
Written by Ernotar on 15.02.2009 at 21:37

Maybe the cover art wasn't the most outstanding in this world, but were there so many masterpieces to vote for?

All the rest?
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
16.02.2009 - 07:13
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.02.2009 at 22:52

Written by 4death4 on 15.02.2009 at 22:34

Come on gays this band cant be better than COB.We all know that.Don't try to over rate them.!!!

It is very easy to be better than CoB tbh. I listened to Stamina after I posted in this thread and to be 100% honest they are much better than CoB, Norther, Wintersun, Ensiferum to name but a few. Still not my sort of music though but a lot more original musicwise than the bands I just mentioned.

My Friend wanted me to tell you that you are a cockadoodle fucking ketchup chip for saying that. Wintersun and CoB = Jesus. and I must say I have to agree. Every single one of those bands you mentioned kick the shit out of Stam1na.
16.02.2009 - 07:27
trendkill-
No korpiklaani?
16.02.2009 - 07:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by living_dead_beat on 16.02.2009 at 07:13

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.02.2009 at 22:52

Written by 4death4 on 15.02.2009 at 22:34

Come on gays this band cant be better than COB.We all know that.Don't try to over rate them.!!!

It is very easy to be better than CoB tbh. I listened to Stamina after I posted in this thread and to be 100% honest they are much better than CoB, Norther, Wintersun, Ensiferum to name but a few. Still not my sort of music though but a lot more original musicwise than the bands I just mentioned.

My Friend wanted me to tell you that you are a cockadoodle fucking ketchup chip for saying that. Wintersun and CoB = Jesus. and I must say I have to agree. Every single one of those bands you mentioned kick the shit out of Stam1na.

Aha I see the Wintersun/CoB fanboys getting pissed off because not everyone shares their taste in thinly disguised as metal pop music.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.02.2009 - 07:58
Oh yes the fanboys have arrived but it will take a hell of a lot more then that to piss me off man I don't see how you could seriously call those bands metal pop music though. Explain if you wouldn't mind.
16.02.2009 - 08:05
The Butt
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.02.2009 at 07:29
Aha I see the Wintersun/CoB fanboys getting pissed off because not everyone shares their taste in thinly disguised as metal pop music.

Wintersun and CoB as "pop" music? Other than the fact that they are "popular" bands, I see no pop traits in their music at all; and as such, I find your stance laughable. So as living said, explain.

And tbh, I'd consider the likes of Candlemass, or any of the other traditional doom bands that you seem to be enamored with as more "poppy" than CoB or Wintersun.
16.02.2009 - 08:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 16.02.2009 at 08:05

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.02.2009 at 07:29

Wintersun and CoB as "pop" music? Other than the fact that they are "popular" bands, I see no pop traits in their music at all; and as such, I find your stance laughable. So as living said, explain.

And tbh, I'd consider the likes of Candlemass, or any of the other traditional doom bands that you seem to be enamored with as more "poppy" than CoB or Wintersun.

Extremely easily accessible, clean crisp recording with song writing based entirely around being catchy. While I dont mind CoB or Wintersun (though it boggles the mind why Blooddrunk was nominated for anything), I definitely understand where hes coming from.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.02.2009 - 09:19
The Butt
Account deleted
^ Tbh, I loved Blooddrunk, actually. Definitely not on the same level as their earlier works, but it was still an album where I enjoyed it front to back.

And I don't see how it's "easily accessible". I've seen even kvlt BM metalheads claim Bodom's work to be nothing more than a wankfest. Naturally, I disagree, but I can see where they're coming from; the majority of Bodom's work is pretty complex, and admittedly just an engine for solos (although a good one ).

Wintersun is the same, to a lesser extent. They may not be an "engine for solos", but I don't see Wintersun's riffs being made to be catchy. :/
16.02.2009 - 09:30
AnarChrist
Well I think Stam1na deserves this award, I have definately not heard every metal album released in Finland in 2008, but out of those that figured in this lineup, Stam1na's "Raja" is definately by far the best. I actually discovered the band with this album and I think it's one of the best albums released last year. I was also able to catch them live in Tuska Open Air, and there I saw that special connection the finns had with the band, kind of like there was in Estonia with Metsatöll a couple of years ago (except I think Stam1na's music to be much better), the crowd was crazier than during Amon Amarth who preceded them. For earning that phenonema, Stam1na deserves at least the best band award. For those, who don't happen to like the band, you can comfort yourselves with the thought that "good taste" has most of the time been the privilege of minority, and awards are given to the choice of majority, so why complain?
----
oh my fucking god, fucking dinosaurs
16.02.2009 - 11:54
destroyah
supercharger
Elite
Written by living_dead_beat on 16.02.2009 at 07:13

Wintersun and CoB = Jesus.

Wasn't Jesus that fella who got nailed to the cross for being a total dick?

But seriously, while I admit Laiho is an excellent guitar player, I also find CoB to be tremendously overrated. Playing oodles and oodles of licks doesn't matter shit if you only produce two memorable songs per decade.
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
16.02.2009 - 13:11
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
About Wintersun and Ensiferum (and "old" Children Of Bodom)...i guess i dont really understand the word "overrated"...when i listen to their music and i simply like it, that is "overrating"? or is band "overrated" when i think about it "how the hell can someone enjoy such a crap stuff"? then can i claim Stam1na is overrated from my point of view...and i think thats it - "from my point of view"...
----

16.02.2009 - 18:55
Elio
Red Nightmare
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
16.02.2009 - 19:09
VPeter
Stam1na deserve it, at least they actually make music for the music and have their own style. CoB is nowdays nothing more then angsty teenwank metal purely for money and Alexi is probably the biggest cunt of Finland and Norther have downgraded themselfs to Cob wannabee's. it's an extra victory for us all to see all the reactiosn of the teenage wank kids going all ZOMG!!!! WTF!!!! THIS CAN"T HAPPEH COB lost!! FUKK THESSE AWARDS COB IS THA BEST EVAHHH!!!!

P.S. why do all angsty gay CoB fanboys seem to come from Canada?
16.02.2009 - 20:38
Lioncourt
@Pétur: Norther has always been CoB wannabees. I do not know about the money thing, but otherwise I pretty much agree with what you say about CoB.

While Stam1na is O.K. I think that the real reason why they won so many awards is that while metal is so popular in Finland, that it is actually pop, ordinary finnish metalheads do not know that many bands. For example, you try to have a conversation about Haggard or Therion for instance and you will get a response like: "I dun' know that band... Oh wait! Is the band that toured with Metallica a year ago?"

And when you tell them about these bands (for instance), they answer: "Oh O.K. Cool. Have you ever heard about Ensiferum?" To which I usually reply: "FUCK Ensiferum! Ensiferum SUCKS! Fucking teenwank wannabe folk metal!" And then the person to whom I was talking to pees in his pants and runs away crying.
----

Think twice before you buy furr! http://www.strasbourgcurieux.com/fourrure/
16.02.2009 - 22:38
Enissa
Who the hell are Stam1na????
and why the hell they deserve all those awards?!!
Anyone noticed that noone like Nightwish in Finland this year's awards? I think cause of the new singer!!!
16.02.2009 - 22:48
Lioncourt
And because they are pop. There are not that many Anette haters here.
----

Think twice before you buy furr! http://www.strasbourgcurieux.com/fourrure/
16.02.2009 - 23:02
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
Elite
Wow, a lot of passion over.. absolutely nothing. I don't know what the hell you guys expect from us, you do know that all finns doesn't wear corpsepaint and live in caves in the deep forests listening CoB? We're not that really. (in this point you think what corpsepaint has to do with CoB, one word, sarcasm)
The "metal music" is absolutely mainstream here.. Stam1na winning FMA is as important as Madonna winning local pop magazine's foreign artist of the year.. no one gives a flying fuck.. except rest of the world it seems.

CoB didn't win because they haven't done anything new in years, and it's pretty much the same case with all the Finnish bands you guys know, goddamn we have 5 million people, tons and tons of "metal" bands, we have seen it all, everything.. I personally don't like Stam1na at all, I find their music annoying and boring (they're ok live band) but I guess among commercial Finnish bands they're as fresh as dogshit can get here.
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
16.02.2009 - 23:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Nightwish hardly been to Finland this year still traveling around the world...and put out no new stuff except singles from 100th time recycled DPP...so how they can win anything? and i am saying that as NW fan...
----

17.02.2009 - 01:07
bard
Why was Kalmah not even spotted? Honestly, CoB and Norther have watered down to cool-aid, but Kalmah was pretty decent this year...
----
17.02.2009 - 03:40
enumaelis
Written by bard on 17.02.2009 at 01:07

Why was Kalmah not even spotted? Honestly, CoB and Norther have watered down to cool-aid, but Kalmah was pretty decent this year...

----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
17.02.2009 - 19:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Those people dont know anything about finsih metal at all

Lord Vicar - ''Fear No Pain''
My Shameful - ''Descend''
Ordog (Fin) - ''Life is too Short for Learning to Live''
Fall of the Idols - ''The Séance''
Skepticism - ''Alloy''
Saattue - ''Jaahyvasti''

You see how many good doom albums are if we look black, heavy and other.... but those abards are comercized ehhh
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.02.2009 - 20:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 17.02.2009 at 19:38

IMO you can't really call those Finnish. Lord Vicar only had two Finns in the band and even started with one Finn,

My Shameful only has one Finnish band member on Descend.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.02.2009 - 20:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.02.2009 at 20:21

Written by Bad English on 17.02.2009 at 19:38

IMO you can't really call those Finnish. Lord Vicar only had two Finns in the band and even started with one Finn,

My Shameful only has one Finnish band member on Descend.

But isnt band based on Finland?
Whit out those other doom bands realised good albums

Black metal
Behexen - ''My Soul For His Glory''
Utgard album, Horna, Gloomy Grim even Catamenia

there was others good realiseslast year so... Danish, Swedish avards same think ''popular'' selling albums wins
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.02.2009 - 01:38
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
I quite like new Norther, and generaly rate them very high, but where the fuck is Kalmah. They are just way better this year.Glad to see Omnium Gatherum. Anywayz, CoB are one of my favorite and first metal bands, but since HCD they just suck. AYDY? was so-so but Blooddrunk was the biggest letdown for me since I'm into metal music.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes

Hits total: 7356 | This month: 18