1 - Part I - At The Four Corners Of The Earth
    2 - Part II - In The Room Of Thrones
    3 - Part III - A Gathering Of Angels
    4 - Part IV - The Wrath Divine
    5 - Part V - The Prophet's Cry
    6 - Part VI - Bringer Of The Apocalypse
    7 - Part VII - Paradise Regained
09. Candlelight Fantasia
+ Enhanced Element (features Screensaver and Band Interview Part 3) [special edition bonus]

For their third release, the Americans of Symphony X have produced something very special: an album that would establish the foundations of their sound. Classic symphonies and metal match perfectly in this brilliant album. First hard to get into due to the ever-progressive tricks-and-turns, The Divine Wings of Tragedy is getting better at each listen. With the excellent duo of Michael Romeo on guitars and Michael Pinnella on keyboards, Symphony X has become a revered act in the musical sphere. All the classical elements are there: wonderful solos, great vocals and on top of it, brilliant and complex songwriting and execution.

'Of Sins and Shadows', 'Sea of Lies' and 'The Divine Wings of Tragedy' [an epic song, about 20 minutes of pure happiness!] are the highlights of this album. More complex songs such as 'The Accolade' or 'The Eyes of Medusa' will kick your ass, while the beautiful 'Candlelight Fantasia'" will become your favorite melody when you're about to fall asleep. Some could write books about this album, but as I'm not a good writer, I just have to say that The Divine Wings of Tragedy has changed my perception of music, and I'm sad for guys who have never felt that! Far from brutal and nu metal, this kind of music is an oasis of light in the desert of basic songs.

Tip of the day: experience Symphony X and enjoy!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 7

Written on 22.09.2003 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 15   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 210 users
09.07.2006 - 19:51
Pianoman
Account deleted
A excelent album IMO. Romeo and Pinella make a very good duo. I really like the keyboars of Pinella. This album as brilliant album has all the elements that a good Progressive band most have. There are a lot of killer songs like: Of sins and shadows, Sea of Lies, The eye of medusa. The most emotives for me are The Accolade, Candlelight Fantasia.
The 20 minutes of The Divine wings of tragedy are really catchy and I'm sure that you will not get bored if you like Melodic Metal.
For me this is the first brilliant album of symphony x that for me is so much better than Dream Theater but not good enough as Angra or Shaaman.
04.12.2006 - 13:49
Adanedhel
Account deleted
i agree... great album, but not the best of symphony x. The Divine Wings Of Tragedy was my first symhony x album, and it exploded my mind wif songs Sea Of Lies, Of Sins And Shadows and Accolade, later song TDWOT and Candlelight Fantasia also impressed me Well this is 3rd best album of SX, in my opinion, after V and The Odyssey. Symhony X is my favorite band nowdays, and band i listen most is Symphony X, the best band in the world! (right after my own band of course hahaha)
15.07.2007 - 00:26
Rating: 10
BlankFile

The Accolade was the first SX song that i´ve heard about 4 or 5 years ago when i became an indisputable fan of this band! That song changed my music perception and definitely brought me into the Progressive/Power metal world. (I used to be a great fan of Melodic Death). But progressive and Power are definitely me. This is one of the bands I have to thank for it and this release is one of the most important of all! Beautifull and magical. |m|
16.02.2009 - 15:46
Mountain King
K i K o
Symphony X got me into Progressive Metal, because their music is complex, technical, beautiful and catchy at the same time. I really like Russel Allens vocals on this album and in general. His way of singing has a heavy metal feel ...This album is one of my fav Symphony X albums! in my opinion it is even better than the Odyssey! Of Sins and Shadows is a masterpiece, what a song! Sea Of Lies blows any guitarist away and Candlelight Fanatasia is one of my fav Symphony X songs and one of the best ballads out there! All the songs on the album are really good.yeah all of them and the 20 min The Divine Wings Of Tragedy is trully majestic...amazing album!
28.05.2010 - 16:52
Rating: 6
Vonpire

Music is amazing. Vocals are crap. IMO of course...
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
19.01.2011 - 01:31
Axe Argonian

Although I enjoy Symphony X's music and superb instrumentation, I'm not a fan of the high notes that Russell Allen occasionally hits, for they remind me of the genre I dislike the most: Power Metal. After hearing the very first song to this album, I was taken aback to an extent, because it sounds nothing like the masterful Paradise Lost. Still, I should try to sit through this entire album some day.

Good review, by the way. Although it could have been longer, it was well-written nonetheless.
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
19.01.2011 - 06:17
Rating: 8
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Definitely a great album! I wouldn't say its the most consistent effort they've done, but when the songs do work, the effect really is magical. xD

As for criticising Russel's high vocals for reminding of power metal, it's worth noting that Symphony X are a prog-power band. They've always had power metal elements in their sound, not just the vocals. I for one, find Russell's vocals outstanding, whether its the majestic tone he has on this album, or the more intense vocals of "Paradise Lost". Definitely one of my fave vocalists.
19.01.2011 - 07:01
Kratos

One of my all time favorite albums. Probably tied up there with the amazing "Paradise Lost". The instruments are played so well, and Russell's voice is so...majestic lol and to think they were able to top this, twice, for me anyways
19.01.2011 - 14:25
Rating: 8
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Kratos on 19.01.2011 at 07:01

One of my all time favorite albums. Probably tied up there with the amazing "Paradise Lost". The instruments are played so well, and Russell's voice is so...majestic lol and to think they were able to top this, twice, for me anyways

They did top it twice, in my opinion at least. "Paradise Lost" and "The Odyssey" are my two fave Symphony X albums. xD
20.01.2011 - 05:14
Kratos

Quote:
Quote:

They did top it twice, in my opinion at least. "Paradise Lost" and "The Odyssey" are my two fave Symphony X albums. xD

I think this one is just a tad better then "Paradise Lost", imo, but I think "V" and "The Odyssey" out do it by a lot
09.02.2011 - 17:30
Luneth
Account deleted
I was oddly expecting more upon hearing this, but now, I really appreciate Paradise Lost a lot more lol.
11.10.2011 - 21:32
Rating: 9
Vikcen
Metálico
Quote:
'Of Sins and Shadows', 'Sea of Lies' and 'The Divine Wings of Tragedy' [an epic song, about 20 minutes of pure happiness!] are the highlights of this album.

I would add another highlight: the incredible Out Of The Ashes =).
11.10.2011 - 21:44
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Irritable Ted on 11.10.2011 at 21:34

Written by Vikcen on 11.10.2011 at 21:32

Quote:
'Of Sins and Shadows', 'Sea of Lies' and 'The Divine Wings of Tragedy' [an epic song, about 20 minutes of pure happiness!] are the highlights of this album.

First album of theirs I bought. Still think its the best.

Umm in my case I prefer any of the last three albums than this, but this is very good too. Paradise Lost was my first album that i bought from them =).
11.10.2011 - 22:02
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Irritable Ted on 11.10.2011 at 21:47

Written by Vikcen on 11.10.2011 at 21:44

Written by Irritable Ted on 11.10.2011 at 21:34

Written by Vikcen on 11.10.2011 at 21:32

Quote:

First album of theirs I bought. Still think its the best.

Umm in my case I prefer any of the last three albums than this, but this is very good too. Paradise Lost was my first album that i bought from them =).

This and V for me. On the newer albums the vocals went a bit shouty for me.

'V' has to arrive in the coming days to my home, I'm desiring to listen it =).
25.12.2018 - 00:40
BlankFile

Magnificent álbum, absolutely perfect from start to finish. One of the best and most important Prog Metal records of all time.

Hits total: 9486 | This month: 18