11. Somewhere
12. A Dangerous Mind [Premium edition bonus]
13. The Swan Song [Premium edition bonus]
14. Overcome [bonus]
15. Towards The End [bonus]
16. Destroyed [bonus]
17. Jane Doe [bonus]
18. Say My Name [bonus]

The new Within Temptation, oh my god, we are waiting for it since a lot of time now? Enough of all this re-editions, enough of all this cd singles, we wanted a real new album? And after four long years, we have it!!! "The Silent Force" is out damn finally? But some really important questions remain: how it is? Is it good?? Is it bad??? Will we have some musical changes in it? Yeah I suppose that you all wondered that like me? And well I have some answers yes?

When I saw on MTV, the video clip of their first single "Stand My Ground" honestly I can't lie, I said to myself, "damn dudes, what are you doing?"? I'm a fan of Within Temptation, since the beginning, I think that Sharon is certainly the best female singer of all the Metal scene in reason of the clarity of her voice, this kind of voice that you can only have with great female singers in general like a Kate Bush for example. But I'm sure of one thing if "Stand My Ground" is certainly a good song to catch some newbies into the music of Within Temptation, I don't think it was a good choice to keep some old fans? Why??? Well this is in my opinion the recurrent problem of this album. I will be clear, "The Silent Force" is a good album but it suffers of some important problems, which are first: the arrangements. I can't understand why Within Temptation needs to uses some electronics sounds in backgrounds that only bands like Linkin Park or Evanescence use. Try to imagine it, if you only remove first all this little sounds of the chorus, the albums could sounds totally different and it could be more the Within Temptation that we like.... Maybe in fact all this sounds are here to give a music a bit more soft and to give a chance to some people who are not really into Metal to listen to Within Temptation?
My 2nd regret in fact comes from the irregularity of the songs of this albums. Let me explain you my feeling. The album start with an amazing symphonic intro, and then comes two very excellent songs [the 2 best songs of the album, in my opinion] "See Who I Am" and "Jillian", two very catchy songs, very symphonic, very powerful. And then come some songs like "Stand My Ground", "It's the Fear" [even if the chorus is good], "Memories" or "Pale" this is not really new, very basic, and even "easy" in comparison to the 2 others songs or to some other very good ones like "Forsaken" or "Angels" [and I don't talk about the songs of their old albums]. At the end we have two very different parts on this album. The good songs that remind me of the real Within Temptation [oki it's a bit "sweeten" in comparison of the past but it's remains ok?] and some songs which are a bit uncoloured? That's a shame for me, because at the end, it misses something in this album: all the magical parts that we have in "Enter" or "Mother Earth".
As I said before don't believe again that this album is a bad one, at the opposite, through some songs that you know now, you will see that Within Temptation remains a great band. I saw them in Paris for the promotional live of the album and believe me the new songs are perfect played live, and like each time it was good. But some songs of the albums make that album more average than good. That's sad but true, Within Temptation did operate a real change with "The Silent Force", for some songs it's more Pop, or even Variety than Metal, but luckily some songs are damn good don't worry?
And of course don't worry about the production, you already understood it's really good? The orchestration [by a real classic orchestra] and the chorus made by a real choir give depth to the songs. The sound is perfect and I must say that the idea of producing a very cheap album without a booklet to give the chance to those who don't have a lot of money [or to convince some others to buy it instead of burn it?] is a good idea. I have another regret however [I promise, that's the last one?] I remember that Within Temptation was in the past an Atmospheric Doom/Gothic Metal band, and now, that's not new, we were all sure of it before the release of the cd, no Death vocals by Robert but above all, no songs with a length exceeding 4:55? Humm I think that you understand my feeling?

Well well, at the end, I must say it, "The Silent Force" is a good album, I'm sure that a lot of people will be into Within Temptation's music with it [don't forget the old albums in that case?]. But however this is not perfect and a bit too "sweet" for me. This is not bad I say it again some songs are excellent, but some others? have nothing to do on an album of a band of the quality of Within Temptation? In comparison of their precedent albums, Within Temptation have lost the magic in their new songs, but no doubt that this album will be a total succes for some of you? and will be also a bit dispointing for some of us?

Written by Jeff | 22.11.2004

Guest review by
Epictemptation
Rating:
After the huge commercial success and shocking sub genre change from the gothic/symphonic metal band Within Temptation, the fans couldn't wait for their next album to come and it did in 2004. The Silent Force was released and became a bigger success than Mother Earth, becoming a chart topper all around Europe. But was it a success in which the fans were exploding over how fantastic it is? Or were we disappointed that the band didn't give us that spunk we always held dear into our hearts? Let's take a look into The Silent Force.

Read more ››
published 04.11.2012 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 145 users
09.07.2006 - 20:10
Rating: 8
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I really like Within Temptation, and this album sounds very good, but it's true, the band has changed, if you compare "Mother Earth" and "The Silent Force" because though some songs are really good, they sound more commercial.

When I first listened this album I didn't realize about this, the first song I listened to was "Stand My Ground", honestly the song sounded great for me, and still sounds great, many people say that this is commercial stuff, but however, the music is good
Why did they become commercial? the reason that Jeff explained might be true: to give a chance to other people who aren't really into metal to listen to them, or just because they wanted to change their style? I don't know really.

But this album was really a success, many people really liked it and the DVD too, but I guess that some of these fans aren't into metal at all, and the band may became more known.

As for the style: I agree with Jeff, the album has irregularity in the songs, the intro sounds really gothic for me, the 2 next songs sound good too, and then, the 'commercial stuff' come.
The album is very good, though it's different from the others, however, Within Temptation is still a great band that maybe wanted to change their style for a while, to become more known and have new fans.. who knows, but the important is that their escence remains.
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
11.07.2006 - 20:43
RavenLord
I would agree with this review. 'The Silent Force' is a good album, but not a very heavy one. The intro, 'See Who I Am', 'Jillian' and 'Stand My Ground' are all damn good, although Stand My Ground is clearly single material . After that, the album decides to go soft, focussing even more on Sharon's sweet vocals. Songs like 'Somewhere' are really beautiful, not as metal, but as music. Angels is another good ballad with a cool chorus, and Aquarius is pretty sinister sounding. I would have to say, though, that the best song to come after 'Stand My Ground' is actually one of the bonus tracks-A Dangerous Mind is just damn catchy, but Jane Doe (on the UK reissue) has an ACTUAL GODDAMN RIFF!!!!! :p

All in all, a pretty good album, and a good bargain (I got the CD/DVD digipack for £10), but not a very metal album. Use it to relax after a night of Slayer or Iced Earth
----
12.07.2006 - 17:24
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by RavenLord on 11.07.2006 at 20:43

I would agree with this review. 'The Silent Force' is a good album, but not a very heavy one. The intro, 'See Who I Am', 'Jillian' and 'Stand My Ground' are all damn good, although Stand My Ground is clearly single material . After that, the album decides to go soft, focussing even more on Sharon's sweet vocals. Songs like 'Somewhere' are really beautiful, not as metal, but as music. Angels is another good ballad with a cool chorus, and Aquarius is pretty sinister sounding. I would have to say, though, that the best song to come after 'Stand My Ground' is actually one of the bonus tracks-A Dangerous Mind is just damn catchy, but Jane Doe (on the UK reissue) has an ACTUAL GODDAMN RIFF!!!!! :p

All in all, a pretty good album, and a good bargain (I got the CD/DVD digipack for £10), but not a very metal album. Use it to relax after a night of Slayer or Iced Earth

I agree with you, the songs after "Stand My Ground" are soft, not 'so metal' and I think the same: "Angels" and "Somewhere" are the most beautiful songs in this album.

Have you heard the second bonus ttrack "The Swan Song"? I think it's the most beautiful song of The Silent Force
----

Sensorium - Epica
12.07.2006 - 17:53
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Must say I like the album...know it's not very heavy but I still think it has the WT-sound in most of the tracks. My all-time WT-favorite is on that album: Aquarius
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
12.07.2006 - 18:46
RavenLord
Written by The Alchemist on 12.07.2006 at 17:24

I agree with you, the songs after "Stand My Ground" are soft, not 'so metal' and I think the same: "Angels" and "Somewhere" are the most beautiful songs in this album.

Have you heard the second bonus ttrack "The Swan Song"? I think it's the most beautiful song of The Silent Force

I'm not entirely sure...I downloaded the other bonus tracks ('A Dangerous Mind' and 'Swan Song') which aren't on my edition, but I'm not sure if the version of Swan Song I downloaded is the correct one...it's an instrumental, but in the booklet there are lyrics printed for it....???
----
12.07.2006 - 18:59
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by RavenLord on 12.07.2006 at 18:46

Written by The Alchemist on 12.07.2006 at 17:24

I'm not entirely sure...I downloaded the other bonus tracks ('A Dangerous Mind' and 'Swan Song') which aren't on my edition, but I'm not sure if the version of Swan Song I downloaded is the correct one...it's an instrumental, but in the booklet there are lyrics printed for it....???

The Swan Song isn't an instrumental song, I don't know if in the booklet there are lyrics printed, I haven't it.
----

Sensorium - Epica
12.07.2006 - 19:15
RavenLord
Written by The Alchemist on 12.07.2006 at 18:59

The Swan Song isn't an instrumental song, I don't know if in the booklet there are lyrics printed, I haven't it.

Damn...well, the song I have sounds like WT, and it's very nice and relaxing, so....:p
----
13.11.2006 - 05:23
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
For people who speak french, I just discovered an interview with Sharon Den Adel made in December, 2004, where she explains a lot of things about the album "The Silent Force". Really interesting, I recommend to read it

http://www.obskure.com/fr/inter_model.php?num_inter=437
----

Sensorium - Epica
15.11.2006 - 20:07
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
great cd imo
i especially like "See Who I Am" but i like all songs a lot actually, except for Stand My Ground, bad single choice :/
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
04.12.2006 - 21:02
Rating: 10
priit
Although WT seem to start sounding too commercial (whatever that means), it's still one bloody good album. It's really good for listening like many times in a row, for example.
17.06.2007 - 17:19
iaberis
Advice Troll
Nice album. I liked it more than their older stuff. Their old sounded like Celine Dion in metal!!!
----
Bitch! Please
21.02.2008 - 15:34
Rating: 10
Symphony Ex
For my money, this is the best of the four albums - commercial or otherwise. The tunes are beautiful and catchy. I find when I want to listen to WT, this is the album I go for.
11.02.2010 - 17:28
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Surprisingly, not only i'm not bored of this slow/soft/whatever-else you-may-call-it song but also love it: PALE is just awesome. Forsaken comes next.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
21.04.2010 - 19:43
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Within Temptation certainly relies more on atmosphere than on songwriting. On Mother Earth that approach almost worked - take a walk in the woods on a warm summer night, while listening to the album and you will enjoy the hell out of it - it doesn't work on Silent Force. Too glossy, too atmospheric, too soft, too bad. There's not a single song that makes you think: wow! they really nailed this one! Rather, listening to it goes like this: ok, is the NEXT song going to be good? And the answer to that question is always: not really. Soft, soft, soft. WT have proven themselves to be the light beer of symphonic metal.
11.03.2013 - 04:11
BlackHalo83
Lost their magic, hahaha that made me laugh. A band like this has never lost their magic, their creativity, their excellent musical composition. I mean they have improved more than ever from their last album which was also a great album. Although the album is sweet and soft, its also very angelic and beautiful. Some of the best ballad I've heard came from this album. I would give this album an 8.5 because their orchestral elements have went up more than ever. The music is still WT and it exceeds even Mother Earth.

Hits total: 13522 | This month: 23