02. The Kiss Of Death
03. A Dead Heavy Day
04. Nail
05. Pain Becomes Me
06. In Lust
07. X
+ Rush [video]
+ Making Of "A Dead Heavy Day"

It's been a couple of years since Sentenced disbanded leaving all of us with a huge gap concerning the future of this kind of music. Luckily the great voice behind the band Ville Laihiala went on with his music career as the leader of Poisonblack. In this album Poisonblack delivers us a masterpiece of well played gothic metal from Finland!

The emotions that surround the songs of this album are indescribable! Songs like "X" make me proud as a music fan in general! "A Dead Heavy Day" may not be the most original album of all times but its simplicity is what makes it so special. It is definitely not a copy-paste of Sentenced but it has their aura and the greatness that surrounded their music. All musicians in this album are very good but I insist on the contribution of Ville who in my view has one of the best metal voices and takes the songs to a much higher level! Lyrically speaking it's kind of typical of his song writing but the way he sings the lyrics makes you instantly familiar with them. "Bear The Cross", "A Dead Heavy Day", "X" , "Hatelove" are such great compositions with grand choruses and simple but solid and beautiful solos. Nothing more, nothing less..

I totally recommend this album to all metal and non-metal fans that want to hear beautiful music. As a bonus in the special edition there is a dvd with a semi-acoustic show: my advice is turn it into mp3 and listen it along with the album, it gives the songs a different vibe that I truly appreciated! The rating might be a bit high but this album has effected me as a person and as a musician and that cannot go unappreciated!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by ioannisk | 13.02.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 63 users
18.02.2009 - 22:38
Rating: 8
Jason W.
Razorbliss
I'm glad someone decided to add a review for this disc. While I don't agree that this is a gothic metal album, it's a very good metal album. It's got plenty of hard-rocking tracks, a couple of misses, and lyrics that are great for the drive home after a good night out with friends.

Yes, the vocals are a highlight here - at first I didn't know what to think of the throatier approach, but now I agree it's a smart move, and it really works well with the music. I also enjoy "Lowlife" and "Diane" a great deal. Too bad this disc got minimal promotion here in the US - it'd be a killer disc for radio airplay.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
19.07.2009 - 01:00
Rating: 5
Italics

This album was awful IMO. 5/10.
"Escapextacy" was pure genius, I really hope they return to that sound...
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
13.11.2009 - 15:54
BudDa

I thot it was an average album so I guess 6.5 is fitting
The album is catchy and simple but it also sounds irritatingly similar to a more beefed up Nickelback

Good review though
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.

Hits total: 5557 | This month: 8