Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

36 users:
Band: Mortiis
Album: Født Til Å Herske
Release date: 1994

01. Født Til Å Herske (Pt. 1)
02. Født Til Å Herske (Pt. 2)

Mortiis, who left Emperor because of his lack of interest in Black Metal, started his own one man band. Født Til å Herske, Mortiis' debut album only has two songs, but two very long songs and it is an Ambient album who actually still reminds you of Black Metal in some way.

For starters, it's rough production. It's not Black Metal basement kind of production but still kind of rough for an Ambient album. Also it has an ice cold atmosphere to it, it reminds me a lot of Satyricon's Dark Medieval Times in terms of feel. That there are only two songs with a length of around 25 minutes each also means it quite hard to digest, still it has an amazing atmosphere and it's like journey trough cold medieval winter mountains. Chockfull of interesting effects also makes you want to come back and listen to it again and again, such as weird Norwegian narration which I still have to look up for it's translations. Downsides of this album is surely it's slowness, the two later ambient albums with it's same two long song standard - are faster and more varied and have a tad better production. It's also requires the right mood for listing to Født Til å Herske, you won't of course listen to it when you are having lunch at McDonalds with tons of people around you.

Despite this, Født Til å Herske is a worthy journey to frost-bitten medieval lands which I heartily recommend to any fan of atmospheric music who can stand slow and huge songs. Yes, the other ambient albums have a better production, are faster and are more varied. But still don't have the wonderful engrossing cold atmosphere that Født til å Herske has.

Written by VPeter | 03.10.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 45 users
19.02.2009 - 22:20
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Extraordinary album.. most pure complex atmosphere, when listen properly, you can feel yourself inside the album.. the silence between the tracks give you some time to get back to reality before the next trip.
Exellent.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
19.11.2009 - 21:34
SatyriconChick

I love this album! I have been a huge fan of Mortiis' ambient stuff, and at one point, I literally couldn't listen to anything else (long and painful story). Now, I just wish I could find the Fata Morgana album, because I passed on buying it when I found it years ago - my collection would then be complete.
20.11.2009 - 00:18
VPeter

Written by SatyriconChick on 19.11.2009 at 21:34

I love this album! I have been a huge fan of Mortiis' ambient stuff, and at one point, I literally couldn't listen to anything else (long and painful story). Now, I just wish I could find the Fata Morgana album, because I passed on buying it when I found it years ago - my collection would then be complete.

Don't miss that much, I downloaded it. The album really smells like leftovers from Mortiis. The EP is quite good and has a space atmosphere but it's just 2 songs.

Hits total: 4345 | This month: 10