04. Legion
05. Between Two Worlds
06. Hallowed Be My Name
07. Something For The Ages
08. No Sacrifice, No Victory
09. Bring The Hammer Down
10. One Of A Kind
11. My Sharona [The Knack cover]

Hammerfall have been around a while now, but even though weren't spawned out of the century they take most of their influence from, they have the number of followers to match of a top one who has. Album number seven, a tenaciously titled "No Sacrifice, No Victory" and is the first album with previous bassist Fredrik Larsson back on the thick strings, and new guitarist Pontus Norgren. A new Hammerfall, a refreshed lineup - a fantastic album.

For a power metal band, Hammerfall have never been the fastest around, and neither have they been swayed by the harder and punchier American style, and while clearly taking huge influence from Helloween and such bands, Hammerfall have always been one of the most solid and compact power metal outfits on the scene. "No Sacrifice, No Victory" is no different as the band stick to what they do best; making infectious and catchy heavy metal that is both modern but also with a chunky kick of the eighties. The album is Hammerfall back to making top quality metal of the highest and most confident order.

Typical heavy metal plodder "Any Means Necessary" kicks proceedings off and sets the pace for a generally solid and mid-tempo album with the odd exception of fast-paced, galloping songs like "Legion", whose chorus can be heard for weeks clinging onto your neurons, and clearly shows the Helloween influence, and also "One Of A Kind" to finish off the best part of the album. "Between Two Worlds" takes the ballad slot with no competition and "Something For The Ages" takes the role of instrumental with a five minute piece of lovely guitar melody and soloing with the rest of the band backing up this genuinely great piece of metal instrumental music. "Bring The Hammer Down" completes the album in typical, strong Hammerfall form with again, wonderful guitar melodies and a chorus to get your mouth around and sing along to with your fist in the air.

One or two tracks slip slightly under the radar, but on the whole "No Sacrifice, No Victory" is a very typically solid album and arguably shows the best form Hammerfall have been in for many years. Perhaps not very original, but that should come to no surprise, the quality in the album lies within what Hammerfall do so well, sticking greatly to a consistent heavy metal stomp. The instrumental song is a highlight of the album and serves as a refreshing break from constant wailing vocals, and the ballad likewise. Production as you can expect from a Nuclear Blast release is top notch and clearly displays to your ears every musical component to this heavy metal slab of classic, turned modern metal. "No Sacrifice, No Victory" is a superb album showing Hammerfall back on top of their game and a band ready to bring their hammer down on anyone who thinks otherwise.

Written on 20.02.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 45   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 418 users
20.02.2009 - 15:19
annodomini
I could neer get into Hammerfall, and this didnt warked for me as well. 6 points from me.
----
the riddle wants to be...
20.02.2009 - 16:59
Rating: 9
hard_tom
I think this couldn´t be the best heavy metal album of the 2009, but what can we await more from Hammerfall ? Eight points, and a half more due the coversong "My Sharona" - originally performed by power pop band THE KNACK - bestseller in 1979.... an unforgettable song.
20.02.2009 - 17:01
Herzebeth
I think I fell asleep while listening to this album...it's really boring.
----
20.02.2009 - 17:13
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
In my opinion it is pretty cool album...Any Means Necessary, Bring The Hammer Down...cant wait to see those two live in april
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

20.02.2009 - 18:08
Rating: 7
munson
Written by Herzebeth on 20.02.2009 at 17:01

I'll second that. Last couple songs on the album are pretty good though.
20.02.2009 - 20:22
Herzebeth
Written by munson on 20.02.2009 at 18:08

Written by Herzebeth on 20.02.2009 at 17:01

I'll second that. Last couple songs on the album are pretty good though.

Oh yeah, the cover of My Sharona was the track that woke me up...that one is bad ass!
----
20.02.2009 - 21:32
giok99
As a big fan of power metal, i really enjoy this album. It has everything i want. It's even refreshing.

Keep going, Hammerfall ! This one is a strong one.
----
Nothing is real
20.02.2009 - 22:47
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
So after second listening - at least four tracks from this album i like quite much...that is pretty decent score for album of band which isn't my topmost
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.02.2009 - 00:25
necrovamp
I heard it was boring and uninspired, i may check it out when i get money though.
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
23.02.2009 - 17:10
juanopereira
I think this album is great! the music is really good and the lyrics are more original than in their previous albums. No more templars and steel.... that's a good thing. Also it has incredible songs like Any means necessary, Legion, No sacrifice no victory, Bring the hammer down and One of a kind. 5 excellent songs of 10, that's a great mark.
23.02.2009 - 23:22
Rating: 5
Elio
Red Nightmare
The songs are good BUT come on, always the same generic shit, I'm bored of that.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
23.02.2009 - 23:37
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
I don't know, I just don't feel this same this time around... I have always been able to find a killer Hammerfall song with each album, even if the album was mediocre overall. But I just don't like the single they used for their video I truly miss their days of "Legacy Of Kings" or killer tracks like "Blood Bound". I wouldn't rate this album that low, but somewhere in the 7s, but with feigning interest. Love the band, but I'll wait til next time... I wish I could hear what you hear in this disc, the review seems so promising!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
24.02.2009 - 01:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Elio on 23.02.2009 at 23:22

The songs are good BUT come on, always the same generic shit, I'm bored of that.

Finally a GOOD and honest coment here.

Like you saiod good song songs but the same generic shit as always. So 8.8 is way too high for this. I would say 7.5 max.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.02.2009 - 04:46
Nardy7
I believe this will be one of the best power metal albums of th year. HammerFall has continuously made solid albums and I see this as any different. Great review, and I can't wait to check it out.
25.02.2009 - 05:39
Hrothdane
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.02.2009 at 01:16

Written by Elio on 23.02.2009 at 23:22

Finally a GOOD and honest coment here.

Like you saiod good song songs but the same generic shit as always. So 8.8 is way too high for this. I would say 7.5 max.

Hammerfall for me is like the Taco Bell of music: grade D meat drowned in processed cheese. That doesn't keep me from craving a steak quesadilla now and then though (especially if I can get it for free ).
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
25.02.2009 - 07:32
bard
This is becoming pretty routine for them. I enjoyed the album, particularly the track Legion. Also, for the third time in a row I think the instrumental track was the peak of the album.
----
25.02.2009 - 09:45
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Written by Nardy7 on 25.02.2009 at 04:46

I believe this will be one of the best power metal albums of th year. HammerFall has continuously made solid albums and I see this as any different.

Bite your tongue! It's a solid piece of work, but best in 2009? Hopefully not.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
25.02.2009 - 11:21
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 25.02.2009 at 09:45

I believe this will be one of the best power metal albums of th year. HammerFall has continuously made solid albums and I see this as any different.

Come on, he said the best POWER metal album of the year. It's very likely after all...
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
26.02.2009 - 00:07
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Written by Elio on 25.02.2009 at 11:21

Come on, he said the best POWER metal album of the year. It's very likely after all...

Well, there's Rebellion, Primal Fear, Stratovarius, Gamma Ray, Avantasia, Masterplan, Persuader, Revolution Renaissance, maybe Kamelot and Savage Circus ...So no.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
01.03.2009 - 17:18
Nardy7
Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 25.02.2009 at 09:45

I believe this will be one of the best power metal albums of the year. HammerFall has continuously made solid albums and I see this as any different.

Well, I said one of the best, not the best.
15.03.2009 - 13:10
Rating: 10
LexIcoN
to Hammerfall
21.03.2009 - 03:04
Galdraföðr
Account deleted
It's far from be as good as the best Hammerfall's albuns but It's not bad at all!
12.04.2009 - 04:31
Rating: 10
BORT
Well its better then the last 2 albums lol
12.04.2009 - 06:02
Lord_Regnier
I heard only a few samples and songs from this album and it was enough to tell me it's not something I could enjoy. Hammerfall's first 3 albums were good (though nothing original) but after "Renegade" this band became quite boring. "Crimson Thunder" was below average, "Chapter V" and "Threshold" just plain sucked, imo.

This band is way too generic and cheesy. I believe even many people who are really into Powermetal are slowly getting bored of this lack of originality.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
21.05.2009 - 16:30
Valentin B
Iconoclast
This album has been growing on me, sure it's not anything new but who the hell cares. the only killer track imo is Punish and Enslave, the chorus is extremely good. some other good tracks are Between Two Worlds(great ballad, but complete shit compared to Always Will Be or Glory To The Brave) and Hallowed Be My Name.
07.06.2009 - 22:03
Felipe04sm
I really enjoy No Sacrifice, no Victory. It's traditional power metal, if you like that, you'll like this album, I think.
07.12.2009 - 01:06
Rating: 6
silenius
Any Means Necessary made me laugh my as of, they still sound like a joke band for kids, always have and always will
07.12.2009 - 01:48
Angel Of Mercy
It;s good but it's a hit and miss power metal album.
----
Your time will come.
29.12.2009 - 00:38
treptolemus
aphotic_zoning
I really enjoy this album! All songs are already familiar to my ears and i'm used to the guitar melodies. Hammerfall is a band that i can always trust, i mean i was never dissapointed with their songs and i can easily listen to them.

The new guitarist is doing a great job and i expect impatiently to see the next steps of the band. They're one of my favourite bands after all

P.S: If only they quit this warcraftish artwork!!! I cherish the artwork of the 3 first albums! Guys ... mr. Sam Didier should at least try to imitate the style of legendary mr. Marschall...if that is ever possible...

Well that's never gonna happen & i do not believe such miracles can happen but you never know!
----
\m/etalstor\m/
10.02.2010 - 01:55
Thor arise
Legion and any means necesseary are the only songs that reminds me of old hammerfall, the instrumental song were also good...but the rest of the album...just bad riffs and quite boring...7/10 or 6/10!

Hits total: 13930 | This month: 26