Metal Storm logo
Stratovarius - Announce New Album

Original news, posted on 22.02.2009

Stratovarius will release their brand new studio album, "Polaris", on May 21st, 2009. This new album will see a worldwide release by the band's new label partner edel under the new imprint earMUSIC outside of Asia, and the band's long time label partner for Asia, JVC.

Jens Johansson states, "We are very happy to have found strong label partners for the future of Stratovarius who truly believe in the band and are as enthusiastic as we are. I can't wait to hit the road again and meet all fans who supported us through all our good and bad times."

Max Vaccaro, of earMUSIC / edel adds: "We are very honoured to welcome Stratovarius in our family; "Polaris" is in fact a special album for edel. Like for Stratovarius, it's a sort of new start, we are in fact entering a new exciting chapter in our lives, the launch of a the new label earMUSIC, to coincide with the release of this fantastic new album with a renewed line-up and an overwhelming energy. One thing is for sure, Stratovarius fans will agree with us in welcoming the extraordinary talent of the new guitar player Matias Kupiainen and immediately reckon "Polaris" to be a true Stratovarius classic."

Says Seigo Horiuchi of JVC/Victor Entertainment, Inc., Japan: "We are proud of our long and successful history with this great band and are very excited to be a part of their new beginning."

In September 2008 the band found the freedom to go into seclusion for almost a month in a cottage by the sea in a Finnish forest to relax, laugh, write songs, be creative together, and record. And they found themselves being a band reborn. The result is a melodic, powerful, fresh, tight, and technically elaborate new album. Powerful melodies mingle with sophisticated arrangements, strong anthems stand alongside heavy songs. There are 11 songs full of energy, musicianship, and a positive outlook.

"Polaris" was recorded in the fall 2008 at Hästholmen and 5by5 studios, Helsinki, Finland. It was mixed by the legendary Mikko Karmila, who has a long history with the band.

Vocalist Timo Kotipelto explains, "Polaris is a positive, powerful album that Stratovarius fans all over the world are certain to take to their hearts."

The band will support the release of their new studio album with a massive world tour. The tour will start in the UK, followed by European dates. September will see Stratovarius playing live shows in Asia, followed by a full North and South American tour in September/October. A European headliner tour is scheduled for January 2010.

UPDATE (thanks to ShadowedFire88)

Here are the "Polaris" cover artwork and tracklisting:

01. Deep Unknown
02. Falling Star
03. King Of Nothing
04. Blind
05. Winter Skies
06. Forever Is Today
07. Higher We Go
08. Somehow Precious
09. Emancipation Suite: I Dusk
10. Emancipation Suite: II Dawn
11. When Mountains Fall

The cover artwork is created by Gyula Havancsák.

Source: stratovarius.com
Band profile: Stratovarius
Posted: 13.03.2009 by Kallis Helmi

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 50   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 358 users
22.02.2009 - 18:32
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I'm not expecting much from this new release, but I hope I'll be surprised
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
22.02.2009 - 18:55
Sanzo
Launch the Polaris
The end doesn't scare us
When will this cease
The warheads will all rust in peace

22.02.2009 - 19:07
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Stratovarius - Polaris or The Revenge of the Finns or The Return of Kotipelto?
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
22.02.2009 - 19:12
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Daggon on 22.02.2009 at 19:07

Stratovarius - Polaris or The Revenge of the Finns or The Return of Kotipelto?

I'd say Polaris: the Revolution Rennaissance takes place for Stratovarius
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
22.02.2009 - 19:17
PM
Hail Lusitânia
I'm spectant...
----
PM is a pink elephant, and can be found at the bamboo forests of Greenland...
22.02.2009 - 19:34
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Sanzo on 22.02.2009 at 18:55

Launch the Polaris
The end doesn't scare us
When will this cease
The warheads will all rust in peace

Hell yeah I love the name of the album, it also means "polar ice" in swedish which is something that really comes to my mind when I think of Finland and Finnish bands ^^
22.02.2009 - 19:49
DoomGuard
They better do this right...
22.02.2009 - 21:59
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I'm so confused...weren't they broken up and all of a sudden they're back with a new album? That's pretty out of nowhere...Stratovarius never ceases to confuse the shit out of me...
22.02.2009 - 22:08
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Guest on 22.02.2009 at 21:59

I'm so confused...weren't they broken up and all of a sudden they're back with a new album? That's pretty out of nowhere...Stratovarius never ceases to confuse the shit out of me...

Well Strato ceased to exist at a time I suppose. Then Timo Tolkki founded Revolution Renaissance. Then the others said 'we want to use the Strato name' and Tolkki (even thought he created the band) said OK.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
22.02.2009 - 22:10
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
So...Tolkki is a pushover?
22.02.2009 - 22:43
Gigginova
Account deleted
I don't think this album's gonna be worthwhile
22.02.2009 - 22:52
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
You seriously cannot diss an album right off like that...common give them a chance...you ppl don't give these bands any chances anymore
22.02.2009 - 23:03
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 22.02.2009 at 22:52

You seriously cannot diss an album right off like that...common give them a chance...you ppl don't give these bands any chances anymore

Personally, I wouldn't say I "dissed" the album, it's just that the direction that the band headed in last time around was far farrr less than what they're capable of. I mean come on, "Maniac Dance" was just terrible
22.02.2009 - 23:09
Zenzero
Zenzero
Hope it won't sucks like the last one....
22.02.2009 - 23:20
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
I don't know if they can do something worthwile without tolkki, personally I greatly prefer Tolkkis songs over Kotipeltos songs (from his solo band that is) but I think it'll be very interesting to give it a shot and see what they made of the band

Written by Guest on 22.02.2009 at 23:03

I mean come on, "Maniac Dance" was just terrible

don't forget they have a different songwriter now
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
22.02.2009 - 23:58
kaos666
Written by Guest on 22.02.2009 at 21:59

Yea, I got totally flamed on every message board for saying Strato would be back as always. Everyone was so sure it was the end, in a way it kinda is with Tolkki gone but I don't really care he has caused nothing but trouble for the band for a while now. Looking forward to Polaris! Even if it is shit at least the spirits are high!
23.02.2009 - 00:08
juanopereira
I'm not expecting anything great, but I'll listen their new album when I can... just for curiosity.
23.02.2009 - 00:19
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
I'm holding my thumbs for this to be a good one. The band has done poorly ever since Tolkki vent mental. And his Revolution Renaissance project, sounds unoriginal and uninspired (f. e. the song that share's the band's name sounds like a recycled Soul Of A Vagabond), even if it's a solid piece of metal. OTOH I really liked Kotipelto's solo work, so hopefully they'll manage to live up to "old glory" with Tolkki out of the way.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
23.02.2009 - 00:28
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Their last two albums where crap i hope they do better this time
23.02.2009 - 01:14
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Stratovarius would have name an album after the north star. turbo cheezy.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
23.02.2009 - 03:28
Symmachus
I don't know how this will turn out, since there is no Timo Tolkki in Stratovarius. Well, I sure hope they don't screw this one up. I wonder how long Stratovarius wil last (I'm not implying that they might split up soon, I'm just wondering how long the band called "Stratovarius" can last, since band leaders have been kicked out in the past. Heck, Timo Tolkki wasn't even a founding member).
23.02.2009 - 13:25
I'll give it a listen - the guys deserve that much but without Tolkki (Who wrote about 90% of the Strato material) this will not be the Stratovarius of old so they must expect some backlash from using the name
23.02.2009 - 13:41
Enissa
I Hope it will be as enthusiastic as I am now, but The album title reminds me of A Slippers trademark!!!!
24.02.2009 - 02:14
Juste
Account deleted
I really did hope they would do a new album under a new band name, cause the lineup that they have now isn't Stratovarius. Of course they will get more money by having the name Stratovarius stamped on it, but Tolkki was the heart of Strato and hes gone. For me Strato is long gone.
24.02.2009 - 03:07
Warman
Erotic Stains
Hope all the songs will be just as bad as "Maniac Dance". I'm getting tired laughing my ass off to that song, I need something new.
----
25.02.2009 - 22:11
partylite1
Account deleted
You can't judge this new album without hearing it first, c'mon metalheads...give it a chance.
26.02.2009 - 17:13
bokimaniac
I hope they will "speed up" a little this time...
13.03.2009 - 17:36
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Holy crap that's an awesome cover Very nice work. Hope it reflects the quality of the songs as well
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
13.03.2009 - 18:42
juanopereira
I'm not expecting the music to be as good as the cover.
13.03.2009 - 18:44
SteTech
It annoys me when people say it isn't Stratovarius without Tolkki. He was the one letting the band down, so fuck him I say. Loving the new artwork!

Hits total: 6139 | This month: 6