Metal Storm logo
Laibach

10.07.2006 - 04:42
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Laibach is an "experimental music" band that comes from Trbovlje, a mining town in Slovenia, and was formed in 1980.
Through these years, they've had different genres, like Electronic dance, experimental music, industrial music, martial music and neoclassical, but they've been known mainly as Industrial music.

I know only two albums: Nato and Jesuschrist Superstar
Some people say that they haven't changed their style in 26 years, what do you think about this, and what do you think about this band?
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
10.07.2006 - 16:01
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
No offense to you, but I have quite of a few of their albums, and I am quite appalled by that last suggestion. Laibach went from cold, brutal industrial music (Nova Akropola) to, as you mentioned, loud and pomp martial and neo classical music (Opus Dei). After this, they went on to minimalistic techno (Kapital) and then to a more dance friendly material which they have clinged too since (NATO). They did briefly interject that last period though with a heavy metal inspired sound, at which time they remixed some Morbid Angel songs, and made the album Jesus Christ Superstar. Good stuff, but I like their earlier material the most.

If you listen to the likes of Laibach, along with say, Depeche Mode and Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft, you can hear who Rammstein learned their stuff from.

The great thing about Laibach though, is their ability to cover some other bands' music, and reproduce it in a most bizzare fashion. I love what they did with Queen's song, One Vision.
10.07.2006 - 18:20
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Yeppsy Daisy, Laibach is indeed awsome. Sady, I come from their country (well, the come from mine ) and never saw them live.

And considering you mentioning Rammstein again - they admitted themselves that they were big fans of Laibach. I'm not really the biggest fan but I just can't pass Laibach. Jesus Christ Superstar still gives me the shivers every time I hear it:)
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
10.07.2006 - 20:16
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
I would love to see them if they come over to the States again. Since they have a new album coming out in the fall, I suppose they might support it with a tour. But I do not know if it would be another world wide tour, or if it would just be within Europe.

I cannot help but laugh at the fact that they redid a Prince song for Jesus Christ Superstar, lol
10.07.2006 - 21:30
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
@Nyctophobia: Well, I didn't mean that I think that, but some people think that. Like I said, I know only 2 albums, released in 1994 and 1996, which means that I don't have many points of reference.

I agree with you about the fact that they have ability to cover other band's music, I read that the album NATO has the majority of the songs covered. And about Rammstein, yes, they've had a lot of influence in Laibach.

Since you know a lot of their stuff, which albums do you recommend me?
----

Sensorium - Epica
11.07.2006 - 00:51
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
It depends on your personal tastes.

My personal favorite is probably Nova Akropola or Opus Dei.

If you like the brutal industrial sounds of Throbbing Gristle, a very cold and brutal sound, then their self titled debut album is a good one. Nova Akropola and Rekapitulacija are also in the same vein, but I have not heard the latter.

Neu Konservatiw and M.B. December, 1984 are live albums using the same music. Both of those albums are good. Especially the second one, which has a jazz tinge to it. Of these, the easiest to get would likely be Nova Akropola, as it was re-released in 2002.

If you like the martial sound, Opus Dei would be a good CD. Their most famous hits, Geburt Einer Nation and Leben Heisst Leben are on this CD.

The Macbeth CD represents their neo-classical sound the best. It is a soundtrack to a theatre production of Macbeth, and so all the music has a theatrical sound.

If you like minimalist techno, then Kapital is the only cd available in that vein of music. Laibach's sub group, 300,000 V.K. makes more of this kind of music. They have four CD's that I am aware of: Also Sprach Johann Paul II, Hard Drive, Paracelsus and Titan. I have unfortunately only heard music from the Also Sprach Johann Paul however.

NATO and WAT are much more dance friendly. I personally do not care much for these albums, as I do not like the music style much. But there are some good tracks on them.

Jesus Christ Superstar is the closest Laibach ever got to heavy metal. If you like Rammstein, some of the songs here sound almost like Rammstein. Same kind of vocals, same kind of guitar sound, that industrial chugging sound.

There is of course other albums of Laibach's I haven't mentioned. But I am not too familiar with them. I had to import the 6 or 7 cd's I have from England and Germany, and that gets expensive after awhile, lol.

If you are not sure which sound you like, or if you want to sample everything, then the best thing you can do is buy their cd Anthems. It has most of the important tracks on it, and it comes with a second disc full of b-side type material. It also comes with a little book, which is pretty cool. It was my first Laibach cd too, actually. And since it came out in 2004, it's fairly easy to find.

For a sample of Laibach's music (though remember, they sound different on every other album) here is a link to one of their music videos. You need to be able to run Quick Time to watch it.

http://www.laibach.nsk.si/mama_leone.htm
11.07.2006 - 18:41
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Well Nyctophobia, thank you for the recommendations, I'll search for the albums, and as for the videos, I don't have Quick Time now, but I'll download it and then, I'll see the videos
----

Sensorium - Epica
13.07.2006 - 19:38
_HIV_

one of the rare slovenian band that are actully good! ... and probably the only who made it
16.07.2006 - 08:58
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
Siddharta, they made it.
17.07.2006 - 14:46
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
.... but you just can't overlook the influence of Laibach's music in Siddharta's Rh- album! And we're back to Laibach! Besides, Laibach has done so much more in music and I feel proud when people connect Laibach to Slovenia and not other shitty music that has made it outside Slovenia (and I'm not including Siddharta here, they represent us well, so does Niowt.... Slovenians will know what I'm talking about.... :puke: music)
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
18.07.2006 - 03:31
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
Very true...I found Siddharta through Laibach's cover of B Mashina.

Laibach has heavily influenced industrial and electronic music. I shall say it again, Rammstein is saturated with the Laibachian element. Richie Hawtin's remix of Wirtschaft ist Tot introduced the album Kapital to a whole new group of music listeners. And Geburt Einer Nation is just a creepy song.

But I know how you feel. I tend to wonder how people will react to all of America's pop music, and I hope they realize that we have much more to offer than that.
21.08.2007 - 11:57
Viking Bitch

Laibach are just amazing. There's no doubt when we are talking about best Slovenian band. I already saw them live..and have to say that it was just spectacular.
----
Hominis tota vita nihil aliud quam ad mortem iter est.
12.10.2007 - 12:01
Øyvind
Grave Digger
They are good, I like their style. And I like the fact that many are calling them Nazis, which just has no sense. Mars on the river Drina is a daring endeavour
----
18.07.2008 - 20:50
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Moved to General Music Forum.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.07.2008 - 22:39
matos

hi! i kinda glad that someone that's not from slovenia opened this topic (that indicates that metalheads are well versed in music).
I like laibach music mainly because it's original and noncommercial, but yet very successful. Behind music there is a lot ideology, philosophy and political actions. I generally approve their way of thinking, sarcasm, irony and sense of humor expressed through the music.
Laibach is that kind of music that broadens your mind, so get some!
----
15.02.2009 - 06:18
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by matos on 28.07.2008 at 22:39

I like laibach music mainly because it's original and noncommercial, but yet very successful. Behind music there is a lot ideology, philosophy and political actions. I generally approve their way of thinking, sarcasm, irony and sense of humor expressed through the music.
Laibach is that kind of music that broadens your mind, so get some!

Very true. One of the reasons I like the music so much is the political/ideological side. And I agree with you, their music broadens your mind indeed, they're very creative and makes you think about other things
----

Sensorium - Epica
21.02.2009 - 21:35
Hamird
Lieutenant
As I've read here that Jesus Christ Superstar is closely related to Heavy Metal, I got the album... It was a good album.. I liked the album especially Kingdom of God track..
Before this, I'd got Volks.. That album was a good one too.. Especially the way that they composed the national anthems.. In that album Francia was excellent..
23.07.2009 - 01:19
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Well, refreshing the topic a bit, since I managed to find it (with some help) Anyhoo, I dared to add Laibach as a band to MS and I hope they make it, cause they really deserve it. Even though they music is not purely industrial metal, but also experimental, electronica, neoclassical, etc., their infulence was quite hreat in the industrial scene + they are one of rare slovenian bands that really made it.
----
10.12.2009 - 20:16
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
So, shame on me for being from Slovenia as Laibach, but I'm actually going to see them live for the very first time next Wednesday along with Juno Reactor and I'm sure it will be great as hell! YAy!
----
02.02.2010 - 19:02
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by AnGina-- on 10.12.2009 at 20:16

So, shame on me for being from Slovenia as Laibach, but I'm actually going to see them live for the very first time next Wednesday along with Juno Reactor and I'm sure it will be great as hell! YAy!

How was the concert? Juno Reactor is a great band too, and I guess that a combination of such great bands can make a spectacular concert
----

Sensorium - Epica
03.02.2010 - 14:41
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by The Alchemist on 02.02.2010 at 19:02

How was the concert? Juno Reactor is a great band too, and I guess that a combination of such great bands can make a spectacular concert

It was freakin unbelievable. Laibach went on first and the show was mesmerizing. They played some of the older songs in a new sound (more electronic, song such as Ti, ki izzivas, Brat moj, Drzava) and they sounded even better than the originals. Milan is such a charismatic frontman, along with the music, video projecting and light show we were all just standing, amazed beyond everything.

Juno Reactor were great too, also they make a freakin good show, different from Laibach - very energetic, with the drums and a dancer it was just eye candy. They sounded very good too, I especially like the vocalist, she had very strong live performance. Overall I gave it 10/10, definately one of the best concerts in my life.
----
05.02.2010 - 18:04
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by AnGina-- on 03.02.2010 at 14:41

Written by The Alchemist on 02.02.2010 at 19:02

It was freakin unbelievable. Laibach went on first and the show was mesmerizing. They played some of the older songs in a new sound (more electronic, song such as Ti, ki izzivas, Brat moj, Drzava) and they sounded even better than the originals. Milan is such a charismatic frontman, along with the music, video projecting and light show we were all just standing, amazed beyond everything.

Juno Reactor were great too, also they make a freakin good show, different from Laibach - very energetic, with the drums and a dancer it was just eye candy. They sounded very good too, I especially like the vocalist, she had very strong live performance. Overall I gave it 10/10, definately one of the best concerts in my life.

I envy you! haha, well, I think I should go at least once in my life to a Laibach concert. Hope tehy won't disband before that... and it seems that they only play in Europe or the U.S.

If they played the old songs in a new sound I guess that sound is similar to the one you can find in the new albums, like for example WAT, Volk, or even NATO. Those are my favorite ones. Personally, I don't like the old songs much but there are some good ones, like Geburt einer nation.
----

Sensorium - Epica
06.02.2010 - 00:27
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by The Alchemist on 05.02.2010 at 18:04

If they played the old songs in a new sound I guess that sound is similar to the one you can find in the new albums, like for example WAT, Volk, or even NATO. Those are my favorite ones. Personally, I don't like the old songs much but there are some good ones, like Geburt einer nation.

Yea, they more or less added the electronic sound to it, making them sound a bit more... modern I say. I like their older stuff though, but I guess I also have a subject opinion on it, since the songs mostly apply to the political situation in former Yugoslavia (and ironically, Laibach's first albums are older than me ).

And I agree on Geburt Einer Nation, that song is just awesome

If you ever get the chance to see them, it's obligatory for you to go. You won't be disappointed in any way.
----
12.02.2010 - 07:07
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by AnGina-- on 06.02.2010 at 00:27

Yea, they more or less added the electronic sound to it, making them sound a bit more... modern I say. I like their older stuff though, but I guess I also have a subject opinion on it, since the songs mostly apply to the political situation in former Yugoslavia (and ironically, Laibach's first albums are older than me ).

And I agree on Geburt Einer Nation, that song is just awesome

If you ever get the chance to see them, it's obligatory for you to go. You won't be disappointed in any way.

Well, in that case it'd be very interesting to explore the lyrics of the older songs, since I'm really interested in former Yugoslavia matters...
----

Sensorium - Epica
20.03.2010 - 23:30
☭ Mr. S ☭
Owner of the DSA
Vote for Laibach in the suggested bands page. Lets get them on this site.
----
Seize the weed of production!
15.03.2014 - 00:15
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Are there any Laibach fans still out here?

I have been listening to Spectre repeteadly and I must say I quite fancy this album. It may not be as hard and ponding as their previous works, but still, captures all elements of this art ensemble. Some songs really stand out, like Eurovision

Or the opening track, The Whistleblowers

----
21.03.2014 - 10:23
Leni

I love Laibach
they were in moscow last year, and i couldn't go
06.04.2014 - 21:48
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Anyone have heard of Parzival?
I think of it as Laibach with medieval influences. Perhaps it may interest Laibach fans
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
13.12.2014 - 20:42
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
In 6 days Laibach are finishing their tour in my city. Can't wait to finally go see & hear Spectre live. The concert will be held in a theatre, which means we all will be taking seats and enjoying nothing less than a grand theatrical performance. In terms of live shows, Laibach certainly are eye and ear candy.
----
29.12.2014 - 20:37
Infernal Eternal

Oh, I remember these types from their Morbid Angel remixes. Their own stuff is better, though.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter